PDA

View Full Version : New site software $$$?

Errol Groff
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
"The most likely reason for the troubles is the age of our forum software; itís getting to be pretty ancient. We hope to purchase newer software sometime this year. Iím sure it will help to clear up a lot of the problems we have had in the last year or two."

This quote from George Bulliss in the thread about problems reading the HSM site.

I, for one, even though I rarely have any problems with the HSM site,
would be willing to chip in a few bucks toward upgrading the software.

Perhaps via PayPal? Or some other method as long as it didn't involve writing a check and mailing it.

Just my .02

Ggerg1186
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I'd donate a few dollars

George Bulliss
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Wow, thanks for the offer guys. Iím pretty sure we will have it covered, but ya never know and Iíll keep your generous offer in mind. For now, just keep buying the magazines and Iíll be happy.

Actually, the fact that the upgrade has made it on the IT departmentís schedule likely means the money has already been allocated. Not only does the age of the software affect the users, but it also is responsible for lots of spam finding its way to us and I know the IT guys are tired of that. That fact alone should ensure that the change is made.

George

mlucek
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Geez, I didn't realize how old this vBulletin is - v3.5.4, vintage 2006 !!

V3..x is the last in that line from 2010/2011 and I think support has transitioning over to maintenance mode, i.e. no new features, only bug/security patches.

Latest vBulletin is V4.1.10 with a boatload of new features that the V3.x line never had.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/394386-vBulletin-com-Forum-upgraded-to-vBulletin-4-1-10-FULL-VERSION

Hmmm, or maybe switch to a different forum software ?? :)

Mike

kendall
01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
A lot to be said for the old versions, they were aimed more to content and less towards fluff. Thankfully, vbulletin can be almost comlpetely 'defluffed' by the admins.

I've seen some sites with newer versions that were so artsy that you had to highlight text with the mouse to read it white on blue

8thscale
01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Anybody else have issues with digital machinist? (Using IE7)
Thanks

<http://www.digitalmachinist.net/?noredirect=true&noredirect=true>

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cookies Fail' in /home/webmaster/common/lib/Vp/Cssm/Session/SaveHandler/Global.php:146 Stack trace: #0 /home/webmaster/common/lib/Vp/Cssm/Session/SaveHandler/Global.php(127): Vp_Cssm_Session_SaveHandler_Global->sanityCheck() #1 /home/webmaster/common/lib/Vp/Session/SaveHandler/Super.php(81): Vp_Cssm_Session_SaveHandler_Global->__construct(Array) #2 /home/webmaster/common/lib/Vp/Session/SaveHandler/Super.php(56): Vp_Session_SaveHandler_Super->constructSaveHandlers() #3 /home/webmaster/digitalmachinist.net/www/wroot/index.php(89): Vp_Session_SaveHandler_Super->__construct(Array, true) #4 {main} thrown in /home/webmaster/common/lib/Vp/Cssm/Session/SaveHandler/Global.php on line 146

armedandsafe
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I moderate 2 sites running the latest VB and frequent several others and I find them as clean and nifty as this one. There is a bit of cutting and pruning has to be done by admin or IT, but is is not very hard nor time consuming.

If it comes to being needed, count me in for a few bucks.

Pops