PDA

View Full Version : MSC 25% off + free shipping code

radkins
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Enter EXPMSC1= 25% off plus free ground shipping

I don't usually order much from MSC because most of the time I can find what I need cheaper but if I read the promo right I am about to put together an order for a few things I have been drooling over, anyone else get this and is it what I think it is, no minimum? In my case the minimum this time wouldn't matter but it may be a good time for a small order if someone needs one.

radkins
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok, I just placed my order and sure enough it's 25% off the entire order no minimum and free next day shipping!

Highpower
01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
It's "up to 25%" off actually. A lot of items are still 0% off.
Usually just the items I want.... ;) :D

SKS-75
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks radkins,

I have been waiting for that deal to buy a handfull of small items.

Shawn

radkins
01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
It's "up to 25%" off actually. A lot of items are still 0% off.
Usually just the items I want.... ;) :D

I wondered about that too but apparently it covers about anything since I ordered some small items like 1/4" steel balls, a vise, bandsaw blades, 4140 flat bar, some really small bearings along with several other odd items and everything reflected the full 25% discount. I think maybe the restriction may be on machinery and other big ticket items (that may be discounted too, I never tried to order that new mill I wanted!) but apparently tooling, most accessories, etc is covered.

Highpower
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I think maybe the restriction may be on machinery and other big ticket items (that may be discounted too, I never tried to order that new mill I wanted!)
That's the time to do it! :D

I spotted the mill I wanted on sale, (couple of years back) at the same time a 20% code was out. Between the sale price, minus another 20% and the free shipping offered, it knocked $1000 off the bottom line. Right place at the right time for once....

radkins
01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
That's the time to do it! :D..

Unfortunately my wife was keeping a close watch while I placed the order and it's too dang cold to sleep outside this time of year! :(

lakeside53
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
It always pays to check Enco for the same items (limited range in comparision to MSC)- they have their 15% off (over $99) right now - 15% of the bottom line, no matter item or the sales price.

JAN99R

radkins
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I agree and I usually prefer Enco also but MSC has a MUCH better inventory! For example the 4140 flat bar I needed was just not available at Enco in the heavy sections I need nor was the bearings available at Enco, ditto for the Epoxy paint, etc. The flat bar with the 25% off was not only cheaper than Speedymetals but the shipping was free, also I ordered it yesterday at about 5 PM and it was here by noon today!

Highpower
01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately my wife was keeping a close watch while I placed the order and it's too dang cold to sleep outside this time of year! :(
What? No dog in the dog house to keep you warm? :p
Or is it a "Three Dog Night"? :D

But then, some things just ain't worth that much trouble eh?
Copy that. ;)

noah katz
01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
The flat bar with the 25% off was not only cheaper than Speedymetals

Are they thought to have good prices?

Recently I bought some 3' and 4" thick 6061 plate, and McMaster was about 25% cheaper.

PeteM
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Are they thought to have good prices? . . .
MSC has gone from being an up and coming distributor in the first generation of family ownership, to a sharp competitor in the second generation, to an MBA-run third generation business more concerned with cornering the market than providing good prices or service to its customers.

Over the past few years MSC has bought out a half dozen of its competitors and steadily raised its prices. Today, its "25% off prices" are routinely higher than the remaining competitors' everyday prices. For three or four orders I routinely compared MSC prices of 33% etc. off with others -- and almost always found better prices elsewhere.

Compared to McMaster, MSC also gouges for shipping.

There are some cases where only MSC will have the item (but note that McMaster will get lots of stuff -- things like measuring tool parts -- not in its catalog). I'd suggest buying elsewhere, not only for the immediate savings, but to keep some healthy and honest competitors around.

radkins
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
MSC has gone from being an up and coming distributor in the first generation of family ownership, to a sharp competitor in the second generation, to an MBA-run third generation business more concerned with cornering the market than providing good prices or service to its customers.

Over the past few years MSC has bought out a half dozen of its competitors and steadily raised its prices. Today, its "25% off prices" are routinely higher than the remaining competitors' everyday prices. For three or four orders I routinely compared MSC prices of 33% etc. off with others -- and almost always found better prices elsewhere.

There are some cases where only MSC will have the item (but note that McMaster will get lots of stuff -- things like measuring tool parts -- not in its catalog). I'd suggest buying elsewhere, not only for the immediate savings, but to keep some healthy and honest competitors around.

I agree and since I get sales fliers from both Enco and MSC I have found what you are saying to be very true, even sale prices on like items tend to be 20%-30% higher at MSC. This code however with 25% off plus free shipping made for a money saving deal on several items even coming from MSC, I also agree about McMaster but except for the epoxy paint, ball bearings and some sealed bearings they did not have the other items. Especially the 4140 flat bar in the dimensions I wanted MSC's price was very competitive with other places I checked after the 25% was deducted and then the free shipping made it a really good deal. All told I saved about $130 and that's comparing prices plus shipping with other companies not the difference between what I paid and MSC's usual inflated prices.

lazlo
01-26-2012, 09:51 PM

No kidding! I only order on free shipping days because MSC ships from a dozen different warehouses, so I often get a box for each line item.
I get ugly looks from my Wife when a huge number of UPS boxes show up, and there'll be a paint marker in one, a bag of nut in the next, ...

By the way Radkins -- thanks! Just placed an order. Got 25% off of most items, except the items in the sales flyers.

atty
01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

cijuanni
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Yep, I looked at MSC casters for my gantry crane project.

Even with 25% and free shipping they are still higher than other sellers delivered for the identical caster.