PDA

View Full Version : WMW Romania lathe

Mcgyver
01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
anyone seen or run one of these?

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Turning-Lathe-Machine-For-Sale-W0QQAdIdZ332996339

strikes me as maybe the heaviest duty lathe I've seen in that size.

Interesting in that it looks like the crossfeed and compound are like an x/y movement that both can pivot on the carriage

gawd I wish i had more room

wierdscience
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I thought WMW Niles was German?Oh well,my question is-

Just where are you going to put it?:D

Mcgyver
01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
I thought WMW Niles was German?Oh well,my question is-

Just where are you going to put it?:D

you're probably right, I know nothing about them, just found this Romanian division

http://www.wmw.ro/wmw/Products/defaultCS.aspx

Its killing me where to put it. Its the angst an addict feels.

I could store it at the plant but it'd probably still be there decades later, jeez what am going to do

.RC.
01-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I am pretty sure WMW was one of those Eastern Bloc companies that built a lot of very heavy machines in a lot of Eastern bloc countries...

The company has been around for a long time at least the 60's..

Have noticed a lot of horizontal borers of theirs down this way...

lazlo
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
If lathes are like women, that's an Eastern-Bloc swimmer. :p

You have a bad case of iron fever Mike!

Mcgyver
01-26-2012, 10:38 PM
maybe you're right, either could kill a regular man. Still, I want it.

Jim Shaper
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Looks sexy to me. How much are they asking?

RussZHC
01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Saw that when it first came up...you may have a bit more success searching down "Niles"...I could not find any photos that "new" but sort of found Niles of a bit earlier have a very good reputation, very heavy duty but accurate at the same time...a lot of use in India (by info I found but also by what was up for sale internationally)...though they maybe moving to more CNC as those big heavy manual machines, relatively speaking, are going to be a bit past it.

Sounds like griping but I look at Kijiji a lot and still can not get over how skewed the lathe values are in Ontario...not sure if its the "right" or "wrong" direction...in the past there have been a couple of pretty good deals, IMO, on Stankos and TOS...right now there is just no way I can handle the electrics, as well any lathe along those lines is way, way past my skill level and would only get me into real trouble.
As a relative thing, there is now a 13" South Bend here, pretty typical of home shops and the seller is asking $5000...whereas a similar slightly large lathe in better condition w more tooling, in southern Ontario has gone unsold for nearly a year at quite a bit less than half that amount.

Jim Shaper
01-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I gave serious consideration to a 16' long lathe before I bought my Voest. It was $2K, had a 20hp spindle, and something like a 20" swing over the cross slide.

Size was the reason I never got it - it would've taken up an entire wall of my shop. The 9' the Voest occupies is bad enough.

J Tiers
01-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Know nothing about it, but it looks like a beast.

Black Forest
01-27-2012, 01:09 AM
The WMW stands for Werkzeugmaschinen and Werkzeug. That just means Machine tools and tools. They were located just outside of Berlin, Germany. The Soviets controlled the company after WWII until the unification of Germany.

Don't take any of what I wrote as absolute fact. I just read it on Wiki German site. There are a lot of machines listed on Ebay Germany. They were into grinding machines I think in a big way.

Mcgyver
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I think I figured it out - its a hob relieving lathe.