PDA

View Full Version : Magic trick

Alistair Hosie
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
My Nephew has an expensive coin trick which is very well made with a scooped out shell coin with a magnet inside the scooped out shell.This allows a corresponding coin to fit inside how would you guys make this ? I guess holding it in the lathe so as not to run into the chuck jaws any help would be welcome your pal Alistair

RWO
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
There was a guy on TV making double headed coins a few years ago. He used a couple of emergency collets bored to hold the coins as they were machined. His finished coins were so closely machined that you could not easily see the joint with the naked eye( at least on TV).

RWO

Forestgnome
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
The magic world is full of nicely machined gizmos like that. For instance, squirt coins. Two coins hollowed out, drilled with a very tiny hole, then silver soldered back together. I have what they call a brass bill tube. It has a drawer that slides in and out that's pretty much invisible on close inpection.

Alistair Hosie
01-27-2012, 03:18 PM
look up shell coin we don't want a double headed coin it has to be able to seperate and be held together with an inbuilt magnet.Keep up the good work guys Alistair.

JeffKranz
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a small boley lathe and they have special chucks for this type of work. You place the coin in the ring that fits the best and when you tighten the collet you can machine the face or inside out. I have made a few 2 headed coins this way but just cutting 1/2 of it off and then using super glue glue the two 1/2 coins back together.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/wt2003.jpg

PTSideshow
01-27-2012, 05:38 PM
The penny to dime trick is a staple here of magic kits, has a penny milled or bored out so just the edge is there and a dime will fit inside with steel shim stock plate inside. The magnet is inside the block that you place over the penny, after you put the penny with dime on the back of the marks hand. Wavy the block over the penny it picks up the shell penny and you slide palm the penny as you flip over the block and lay it next to the dime.
Can't place the suitcase with the magic in it at the moment. It has disappeared!:D

You just substitute the coinage of your realm or over foreign coinage.

Alistair Hosie
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Glen that's it pal , his pound coin can be made with a pound or penny insert so the pound looks perfect,but how would one make it would you need to mill 2 coins or what how is it done so beautifully do they mint one coin larger than a standard penny or what? Also the magnet is wafer this and I just am amazed at how they leave a dotted rim on both sides of the coin. Alistair

atty
01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm impressed with those chucks. Wonder if they make something similar in a 5C collet?

I have a small boley lathe and they have special chucks for this type of work. You place the coin in the ring that fits the best and when you tighten the collet you can machine the face or inside out. I have made a few 2 headed coins this way but just cutting 1/2 of it off and then using super glue glue the two 1/2 coins back together.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/wt2003.jpg

macona
01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm impressed with those chucks. Wonder if they make something similar in a 5C collet?

Yes, they do, I think called step collets or something like that. Pretty expensive, even used, on ebay.

You could make you own from a large e-collet.

Toolguy
01-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Yes they make many different 5C versions of that. Some of the ones for a Hardinge lathe have a "backplate" type attachment that goes on the spindle behind the collet for more support.

RetiredFAE
01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Couldn't you take one of the large head 5c collets that Enco advertises as "emergency collets) and step it out internally until it looked like the ones above?

PTSideshow
01-27-2012, 09:45 PM
The cheap version of the penny to the dime is a penny with a thin shim stock of steel in the penny
Found my magic case
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/assorted/DSCF0001.jpg
Here are two of the shells and the dime
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/assorted/DSCF0005.jpg
Here is the shell on top of the dime on the back of the hand.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/assorted/DSCF0003.jpg
Here is the block, and the shell stuck to the magnet. This would be the view your hand would have as you pick the block and move it away.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/assorted/DSCF0006.jpg
This is what your hand would see as you finger slide palm the penny shell as you take away the shell and block leaving the dime.
You can drag out the length of the trick by using an extra real penny before putting the shell and dime on to the hand. By letting the people handle a real penny.

Never do the same trick twice for the same people! as some smart a$$ will grab the block, just to make sure every one knows he is an a$$.

At a cub scout dinner one year they told me that the meal wasn't done and to draw out the act. not something that is easy to do half way through! I did manage to make the standard needle thru the balloon trick last 35 minutes.
It is a little on the hard side to do the trick and take photo's. Hope this helps.

Rustybolt
01-28-2012, 08:51 AM
My Nephew has an expensive coin trick which is very well made with a scooped out shell coin with a magnet inside the scooped out shell.This allows a corresponding coin to fit inside how would you guys make this ? I guess holding it in the lathe so as not to run into the chuck jaws any help would be welcome your pal Alistair

I helped a guy make some collets that held our half dollar so they(2) could be hollowed out. One had to be an eccentric that would allow an opening just slightly smaller than a quarter. The idea being that when shaken the quarter would fall out of the half dollar.
I don't know if he ever made any. I didn't think it was a profitabe idea.

jcon
01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
More years ago than I care to remember, I was working in the composing room of the local news paper. It became a ritual for the Linotype Operator, the other Compositor and myself to odd man out for Cokes. Being the kind of guy I am, I made a two headed nickel and quarter. I gave one to the other Compositor and for a week or more we took “Clocks” (the Linotype Operator). When we finely told him and agreed to buy Coke to make up our trick, I gave him the two headed coins, he looked at them and ask “how did you know I was going to get tails.

Jim Connell, DeLand FL.
Daytona Beach is near us.

You haven’t begun learn until to learn until you learn how little you know.