PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Oil in Mill Head?

stevehgraham
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I keep ignoring this forum in favor of Chaski, so I thought I'd post this here.

I got some Velocite #6 for my rotary tables and mill head. I needed a gallon, because the little bottle I got on Ebay a long time ago wasn't going to fill everything. I bought it from some guy who sells small amounts in squeeze bottles.

I ordered the Velocite last night from MSC, plus an oiler, and they put a gallon on my porch this afternoon, at 25% off, with free shipping. I can't figure that out. But that's another story.

When I looked at the Velocite in the gallon jug, I saw that it looked like plain old mineral oil, or air tool oil. That's fine, but it didn't look like the oil I've been using in my mill head since it was new. The oil in the Ebay bottle is yellow, and it's thicker than Velocite.

Naturally, I am not happy.

This is a Taiwan variable-speed head. Do I need to flush the yellow crap out before adding the Velocite, or is it okay to let it disappear in the course of normal machining? The mill sounds fine, and I'm not getting any disturbing signs, like smoke, flames, or flying gear teeth.

sasquatch
01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Maybe i don't understand,, but WHY would you be ignoring this forum??

lakeside53
01-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Just use it. The oil system is full loss... At a few drops per week... that gallon is going to last a very long time. If it's not branded, use your Ebay oil for killing weeds.

What about the quill oil? Does your mill have spindle and other oil cups, or just one? In a real BP, I use #6 or #10 for the spindle , and vactra 2 way oil for the rest.

macona
01-28-2012, 01:02 AM
The looks of oil mean nothing.

You can use a lot of different oils for the spindle. My machine at home specs spindle oil, the machine at work with the exact same bearings and setup says Vactra #2.

stevehgraham
01-28-2012, 09:07 AM
This mill has two cups on the head.

I'm pouring out the Ebay oil. It could be Crisco for all I know.

Thanks for the help!