PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat OT...

Rosco-P
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Disposable propane cylinders, blue, green...any difference? While in HomeDee the other day, heard a customer insist on purchasing the green ones for their propane lantern and stove. Can't see how the contents could be different. When I get my 40lb cylinders refilled, the clerk in the office doesn't ask, cooking or heating?

Black_Moons
01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Green matchs better with thier forest camp set.

More to the point, I know of no diffrence for propane tank colors. The valve style makes the most diffrence when filling (One style will internaly shut the tank off once its full via internal float).

On a subnote: When I was filling propane tanks, we where not allowed to fill any that where painted black (By customers, we only ever saw white tanks really), Because apparently a black tank would overheat much easyer in the sun (Resulting in the overpressure valve blowing off, Sometimes resulting in the valve freezing up, resulting in the entire contents of the tank venting, perticularly if the tank is left on its side)

BMW Rider
01-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Not exactly sure which type of cylinders those were, but some of the camp fuel ones are actually a propane/butane blend to make it better suited for lanterns or small stoves.

Black_Moons
01-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't use butane blends if you plan on using it in the winter. Unless you like not having any pressure below 0C.

I wish they would put more propane in bic lighters. Dang things don't work at all below -5C (and hardly below 0C) untill you warm them up in your pocket/hand.

Rosco-P
01-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Not exactly sure which type of cylinders those were, but some of the camp fuel ones are actually a propane/butane blend to make it better suited for lanterns or small stoves.

Looked like typical disposable cylinders, approx 1lb, Worthington brand. Both blue and green labeled ones were simply marked propane.

kendall
01-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I've seen tanks from the same maker sitting side by side on the shelf in two different colors, Most often with a slight difference in price.
Not sure exactly what the difference is, but if there is one, at a guess I'd say they may have a different pick up design so as to provide vapor at different orientations.

I have had some tanks that allow a bare minimum of tilt when using a torch, while others allow you to almost lay the torch right on it's side without spitting.(not a full/empty issue)

Mike Nash
01-28-2012, 07:22 PM
This is easy. The green is Coleman green. Only picnickers, RVers and plumbers would use a blue propane cylinder. They stand out too much for a tent type camper. Green blends enough with the vegetation that you've got time to get packed up and away before neighbors or rangers realize you didn't pack out all of your garbage.

*================================================= =========*
| \_/ |
| --(_)-- |
| /\ __ /\ __ / \ |
| /~'\ /\ /\ (()) //\\ ((() |
| / \ /~'\ /~`\ (((()) ///\\\ (()))) |
|/ \/ \/ \ ,.-.---)(--.--)(---'---)(.-'---'''|
| \ \,'` ldb |

*================================================= =========*

Picture stolen from: http://onlineroadtrip.com/?p=302

And no, alas, I actually have hauled home bottles I have found and probably still have them. It's only a disease when it's time to organize again - that's when I wish I could stop.

jeremy13
01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
To my knowledge there is no difference in fuel. Just the shape of the cylinder. The tall skinny ones are to long for the Mr. Heater buddy’s heaters. And the green fat ones won’t fit in the table top heaters and some mosquito magnet machines.

Rosco-P
01-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Blue or green bottles can be found in both the tall skinny and "fat boy" styles. Worthington website doesn't mention anything about purity or vapor withdrawal being different.