PDA

View Full Version : Found my angle plate

loose nut
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
A week ago I posted that I couldn't find it anywhere, today I found it in about 5 min. Right where it should have been. Old age is a terrible thing.

On another post I made about checking the accuracy of my lathe Z axis DRO, I mounted the angle plate (instead of using the end of the spindle), which was why I was looking for it in the first place, on the lathe bed and did some checks with a dial indicator and gauge blocks. It appears that this method is much more accurate and the DRO is within about .0002" over 2" to 4" but I will have to get a more accurate indicator to do a really good check.

I have to go now and prepare for the worst. When ever two good things happen to me in one day I know something bad is coming.

"By the pricking of my finger....."

lugnut
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
From one nut to another,,, where did you find it????:D

loose nut
01-29-2012, 06:26 PM
On a shelf in a cupboard, right where I put it. There was another piece of tooling that obscured it from sight.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

John Stevenson
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
There was another piece of tooling that obscured it from sight.

The new one he bought two days after he lost the first one. :D

gregl
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
The best thing about senility is that you don't know you have it. :D

REED2
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
It's not really funny I| am 62 and sometimes can't remember what I did yesterday but remember things fromm grade school like it was yesterday. tom

herbet999
01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
I can remember, as a child, my mother suggesting that if I could not find something to try and remember where I put it last. I always thought that was a strange response. Seeing how if I knew where I put it last I wouldn't be looking for it.

It is amazing how the brain works (or doesn't). I too can't remember what I did yesterday but I can remember every line of every Bugs Bunny cartoon, Star Trek episode, and Abbott and Costello movie. Of course, growing up on TV may do that to you.

Mcostello
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
RoadRunner lines are the easiest to remember!:)

Lew Hartswick
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
RoadRunner lines are the easiest to remember!:)
Beep! Beep! :-)
...lew...

bvd1940
01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome to my world at 71:eek:

darryl
01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Something has gone wrong in my world- I lost some keys awhile ago and I did find one set of them, but the other has still not been found. I went and got replacements cut, which is fine, but doesn't it follow that I should have found the other ones right after buying the replacements?:confused:

Mcostello
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Probably waiting for you to lose another set and buy another set, then you will find both sets!

Robbie's Machine Service
01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Funny ...
It always the last place you look you find it!

Robbie

smalltime
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
I too can't remember what I did yesterday but I can remember every line of every Bugs Bunny cartoon,

THAT SIR, Is an unmitigated frabercation!

Or:

I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob......It's my hobby.

Daffy Duck

tdkkart
02-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I was cleaning up in the shop today, picked up 2 or 3 R8 collets(I was doing a drilling/tapping job) to put them away in the drawer, notice that the 3/16 slot was empty. I looked all over the shop for close to 20 minutes trying to find that damned collet.

Found it, right where I had left it............in the spindle of the mill!!!

Ed P
02-01-2012, 08:08 AM
A week ago I posted that I couldn't find it anywhere, today I found it in about 5 min. Right where it should have been. Old age is a terrible thing.

Consider yourself lucky. I've had that problem my whole life! I'll be looking for a screwdriver for example, and I know that I put it on the workbench, but I can't seem to find it. But I know it's there. I look reaaal hard for it, but still can't find it. The workbench is covered with objects, different size objects, different shape, different color, and they serve different purposes. That throws my little brain off. But I know I have the problem so I look at each individual object, one at a time, and ask myself the question, is that a screwdriver? No, no, no, nope, nope, no, no... Well ok, I checked the entire bench 3 times, it's not here. I've successfully eliminated the workbench. Now I can look elsewhere. I start looking all around the shop and slowly work my way back to the bench. HEY, where did that screwdriver come from??? It's sitting right in the middle of the bench for any idiot to see. Five minutes wasted..............

Ed P

Evan
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
For some reason known only to someone else my tape measures recently began to reveal themselves. One was in the pocket of a coat I never wear. Another was on the front ledge over the rad under the hood of my truck. Another had fallen to the ground in the storage shed and became visible when I moved the snow blower. That plus the one I couldn't see while looking directly at it makes 4. Only about six more to go.

Ed, you are not alone. That precisely describes what happens to me as well.

The Artful Bodger
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
The local garage mislaid a plug spanner, I found it for them about two days later when when it fell from its hiding hole and tumbled into the fan gettiing thoroughly tangled and punching a hole in the radiator.

They were very pleased when I took the spanner back but less pleased when I showed them the damage. They fixed the damage.;)

garyphansen
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Evan: I have had the same problem. I bought a bunch of tape measures and left them all over my shop. Then the all went off to never never land. Some times the all come back. It must be they fall into another dimension and waves of time and space allow them to reappear from time to time.

Now if someone would explain to me about gloves. I will have two pairs of gloves in the pocket of my coat. Somehow, after awhile, I will end up with all left hand gloves, wait a few days and they all turn into right hand gloves. Gary P. Hansen

farrviewsouth
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Thank god Gary you posted....I have 8 right hand gloves..no left hand one in the shop.....Yours must be here....I will tell them to head home...

Evan
02-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I have the same problem with gloves. What I can't figure out is that it is the left hand gloves that go missing. That doesn't make sense because I am right handed and if I take a glove off for better dexterity it will be the right hand. :confused:

loose nut
02-01-2012, 06:47 PM
For some reason known only to someone else my tape measures recently began to reveal themselves. One was in the pocket of a coat I never wear. Another was on the front ledge over the rad under the hood of my truck. Another had fallen to the ground in the storage shed and became visible when I moved the snow blower. That plus the one I couldn't see while looking directly at it makes 4. Only about six more to go.

Ed, you are not alone. That precisely describes what happens to me as well.

I told ya, it's the damned gremlins

John Stevenson
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't have that problem, I just throw everything onto what's left of the floor and within hours it's all at eye level so you can't miss anything :D

fixerdave
02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Once, about a decade ago... I was give one of those rolls of non-slip matting. Useful stuff, so I put it in a special place. Couldn't find it, of course. Years went by, with me periodically looking for it when the need came up. Didn't find it. Then, a few years back, I was looking for something else. What do you know... there was the roll. What's more, it was in a very logical place that perfectly fit its function, so I left it there. Damned if I know where that is. Been looking for it for years, again. Someday, I know I'll find it, again, you know, because it's in a really good place that makes perfect logical sense, wherever that is.

David...

38_Cal
02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Doing some gun repair this week...fitting a dovetailed filler block into the face of a Martini breech block to bush the firing pin hole to a smaller diameter. Got the dovetail cut into the block just fine. Made the filler block and managed to drop it on the floor as I was walking over to get my torch to heat treat it. About an hour later, I gave up on finding it and went into the house. Went back out today, walked in, looked down, and THERE IT WAS! :o :D I looked at that section of floor at least twelve times yesterday, and the block was not there. Really, it was really not there. D@mn gremlins!

David

Evan
02-02-2012, 12:56 AM
What's more, it was in a very logical place that perfectly fit its function, so I left it there.

It's inside a roll of something else so it wouldn't take up more space.

Probably a rolled up carpet.

malbenbut
02-02-2012, 03:57 AM
I never loose anything but often find things i've never lost.
MBB