PDA

View Full Version : Where to you purchase band saw blades

Asmithrc
01-30-2012, 07:04 AM
I have the Harbor Freight Hor. band saw and I keep popping the cheap blades. I need some replacement blades and wanted to come here first.
64.5". Any suggestions.

Andy Smith

macona
01-30-2012, 07:32 AM
I buy Lenox Diemaster blades at my local tool store. Some people like starrett but I have found them to be average.

bobw53
01-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Buy them pre-welded from MSC or Enco, on sale only. Lenox or Irwin's. Remeber Lenox and Irwin are both owned by Rubbermaid, and for quite a while there was a giant Irwin banner on the side of the Lenox (American Saw) building. I figure they are pretty much the same, prewelded blades are made from "global components"

McMaster Carr, I think they are usually Starretts. Pretty decent.

Where I have found the best bang for the buck, find somebody local that is welding up blades, we have somebody doing Lenox blades here. Oddly the ones that our local guys are welding up are "made in USA", and to me they seem to cut better and last far longer than the ones that come welded out of the lenox factory. Cheaper too. Not only was the price cheaper per blade, they were doing buy 3 get 2 free, and free delivery(my local place).

wb2vsj
01-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Check your blade alignment along the roller guides. A bad alignment is one way to break a blade.

My Northern Tool here in Raleigh carries a USA made blade that works fairly well. I don't remember the MFG name at the moment.

projectnut
01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I get mine from Ellis Mfg. Co. A friend of mine uses one of their saws in his shop on a daily basis. He averages a year or more on a blade that is used several hours a day.

I decided to give them a try for blades on my Startrite H175. I'm happy to report I get a minimum of a years service. The last one went closer to a year and a half before I knocked off a tooth.

They custom make the blades when you order them. There's a minimum order of 2. You'll have to give them the length, width, thicknes and number of teeth per inch.

http://ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/4/blade-selection

KiddZimaHater
01-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Harbor Freight actually sells a descent bandsaw blade.
Get the "Supercut" brand in the yellow packaging. They're American made, Bi-metal blades, and seem to last a while.
Don't get the cheap "Made in China" blades. They won't cut diddly.
You can also find good deals on Ebay.
I bought a 4-pack of Starrett blades for $19.00

wierdscience
01-30-2012, 09:20 AM
M.K.Morse MatrixII blades,find your nearest dealer-

http://www.mkmorse.com/products/index.aspx?product=42

kd4gij
01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
enco has irwin 10/14 blade on sale for 14.99 and there is free shipping coads for 25.00 or more.

daved20319
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
But I've been really happy with Timberwolf blades for my wood cutting bandsaw. Not only good blades at a good price, but they will custom size them. Here's the link: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/bi-metal-metal-cutting-band-saw-blades/ Hope that helps.

Dave

Asmithrc
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
enco has irwin 10/14 blade on sale for 14.99 and there is free shipping coads for 25.00 or more.

I got two and used the free shipping code. Thanks so much for the info.

Hope they arrive soon. I'm in the middle of building a doggie wheelchair thats a little on the insanity side.

RussZHC
01-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Diemaster...originally looked at EBay hoping to find a deal and the prices weren't bad BUT turns out local has either pre-made or buys the rolls and pre-welds a couple dozen at a time to put into stock...have not used them enough to determine if there is a noticeable difference...and they have a couple of tooth counts always available PLUS at prices a bit better than the best prewelded deal I could find on EBay

If you can find someone to weld them up or do it yourself, the cost per blade off a roll bought on EBay drops A LOT.

lakeside53
01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I buy mine from www.bandsawbladesdirect.com

GadgetBuilder
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
The band that came with my HF saw years ago didn't cut well so I bought blades from an eBay vendor, Metal Mania, who made up blades to length from Morse stock. He sold them in lots of 3 and was kind enough to make up 3 with different tpi's because I didn't know what would work best. These lasted me over a year; I found that 10tpi was good for most things I cut. I still have the 7tpi he made, which I use for aluminum.

I then bought a 100' roll of Simonds 10 tpi carbon steel blade stock on eBay for $40. This lets me make up 64.5" blades for about $3 each. At the rate they wear out I may have a lifetime supply.

Silver brazing blades is straight forward: http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/BandSaw.html#BandsawBrazer
I've had one braze fail so far - it had what looked like an air bubble in the middle of the joint so I just added flux and re-heated.

John

Asmithrc
02-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Just want to say... I recieved my new blade from Enco (Irwin). They are so much better than the HF blades. I fought with blade tracking with the HF but zero issue with the Irwin.

Now I just need to find a Friend with a blade welder:D .

Tim The Grim
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
After 10 years using them on my DURO 14" W/M, I have always been very happy with ...

http://customblades.com/cgi-bin/home.exe

Service and selection are great and the blades last through whatever torture I can come up with, be it wood or metal.
I've never had one break and the welds don't bump at all.

justanengineer
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
A good quality used blade welder bought off craigs for $200 will pay for itself before the end of the first roll IMHO, both monetarily and in aggravation/time lost.

metalmagpie
02-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I used to buy expensive Lenox DieMaster II blades for my vertical bandsaw. When they failed, I looked at them. Seems that big sections of teeth would strip away. I believe this is characteristic of all bimetal blades.

I wound up picking up a $150 blade welder and most of a roll of 1/2" 14 tpi blade stock (carbon steel) and making my own blades for the last few years. They don't stay sharp as long but the teeth don't strip off either, and the whole roll cost me $20 and I sold the setup after I sold my VBS for $150 so the blades were real cheap.

It isn't that easy to make good blade welds with a cheap blade welder. I got to be OK at it. But often the weld would go tick .. tick .. tick each time it came past the blade guides. Still, it worked OK and when I sold it I could have sold about 8 more.

metalmagpie

Kernbigo
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
buy doall bulk and silver solider your own

CCWKen
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
I use my MIG welder on one side and grind the weld down. No tick and haven't broken one yet. Wore-out a bunch but that's why I buy bulk. A really simple alignment fixture is all you need. I weld them on a piece copper sheet for full penetration and no burn-through.

Willy
02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
M.K.Morse MatrixII blades,find your nearest dealer-

http://www.mkmorse.com/products/index.aspx?product=42

X 2!

Every time I fire up my bandsaw I'm always thinking...how damn long has it been since I changed blades?
I have absolutely no qualms in recommending the Morse MatrixII blades, but in all fairness I've never had a chance to try the Lenox ones, only because I don't think I can hope for better performance.
I do use Lenox blades in my hacksaws and in all fairness they too have have exceeded all expectations.
In the end I believe whatever name brand blade you choose will be light years ahead in quality from what is issued from the factory, especially from the lower priced vendors.

I don't get it, for the difference in price between a poor excuse for a blade and a good one, manufactures of bandsaws risk making their product look like a POS, when in fact even a cheap saw could look like a quality product merely by the addition of a proper quality blade.
I guess price point is where it's at for those in marketing.:rolleyes:

Black Forest
02-04-2012, 04:44 AM
I call up my welding supply house and they order me bandsaw blades. My saw takes an odd size blade so they have to be custom made. The blades come in the mail a week after I order them. I have to buy five at a time.