X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

I must be gittin over the hill

Made up an Excavator boom cross tube yesterday afternoon.8x4 heavy wall mechanical tube 21-1/2" long.Trued the OD to 7-7/8",thru- bored the ID to 4.1" recessed bored each end to 115.2mm x77mm deep.Recessed and chamfered each end on the OD to accept the outer O-ring dirt seals

Drilled,counter-bored and tapped the zerk holes,deburred those,heaved it over on to the press and pushed them in.0025" interference and 271 Loctite just for fun.

4 hours 45 minutes including mucking around looking for the chip breaker for my boring bar after it landed in the chip pan under the lathe.

Troubling part is it only weighs 220 odd lbs and I dam near broke a sweat boosting it into the press,must be gettin over the hill

I just need one more tool,just one!
  • MotorradMike
    • Nov 2009

I made 4 of those yesterday.
    Here's a tip: Wear leather gloves and you can carry one in each hand.

NOT

Nice work, you must have a honkin' big lathe!
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• Willy
      • Oct 2005

Hell, you'll know when you're over the hill...you'll spend 4 hr 45 min. looking for that chip breaker, never mind the nap and pee break.

Nice job WS, you definitely weren't slacking off yesterday afternoon in order to get that out by supper time.

I gotta ask, what's the composition of the bushing?

Now if they made round column mills with that puppy for the column you'd have one solid little unit.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• gcude
        • Jan 2009

Here's another tip:

If you grunt real loud when you begin to lift and heave the part, everybody around will think you are in a strain and putting in max effort ... even if you ain't.

Nah, they still won't bother to help, but they might be impressed that an old fart like you still has the piss and vinegar to try and throw his back out on a daily basis.

Nice work. Make a habit of it.
        Cheers,
        Gary

Comment

• wierdscience
          • Jan 2003

Lathe is a 24x120 running 20hp,it pretty much walks through this kind of stuff,not a machine you want to single point 1/4-28 on though

Bushings,dunno,customer supplied OEM parts Hitachi/Deere in origin.Probably something like 8620 heat treated to around 55-58rc,done some that way before and they seem to equal performance.

Got a bigger one to build next week 11" OD x 28" long

Okay,gloves-check,loud grunts-check,maybe add in a hard hat,some ear plugs and a Hi-vis vest for good measure?

Comment

• CCWKen
            • Jan 2003

Aw shucks, I know better. You were probably slinging' that thing around while wearing your sandals.

Man, lately I been having trouble holding up my DA sander. Can't imagine toting that around.

Comment

• wierdscience
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by CCWKen
              Aw shucks, I know better. You were probably slinging' that thing around while wearing your sandals.

Man, lately I been having trouble holding up my DA sander. Can't imagine toting that around.
              Oh,I never wear sandals,welding BB's between the toes is not my idea of fun

This next bigger one will require me to finally install a hoist over that lathe,the one I have been meaning to install for five years now

Comment

• EVguru
                • Dec 2008

You know you're getting over the hill when you can no longer get over the hill!

"What does my body know about the future that it thinks ear and nose hair are going to be important?"
                Billy Connoly.
                Paul Compton
                www.morini-mania.co.uk
                http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

• BigMike782
                  • Dec 2008

Now THAT is some bushing!

My back and knees remind me every day of the B-RB Chrysler blocks I would heft around by myself 20 yrs ago.....help? who needs help?....now I do

Comment

• John Stevenson
                    • Mar 2001

Originally posted by wierdscience

This next bigger one will require me to finally install a hoist over that lathe,the one I have been meaning to install for five years now
                    Had the exact same thought the other day after getting a rotor 13" diameter and 36" long into the lathe the other day.
                    Still mulling over where to fit it, how to make it without it getting in the way.

Need to go online tonight and see if I get get a good deal on a job lot of grunts

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      Had the exact same thought the other day after getting a rotor 13" diameter and 36" long into the lathe the other day.
                      Still mulling over where to fit it, how to make it without it getting in the way.

Need to go online tonight and see if I get get a good deal on a job lot of grunts
                      Well it is the procrstinators motto-"Why do today what can best be put off until next week"

Comment

• KIMFAB
                        • Dec 2009

No, I think it is something like "Why put off till tomorrow something that can be farted off altogether."

Here was my last backbreaker.

Rotor from a 35 KW generator. The 11" Logan wasn't too happy, Didn't have the DSG yet.
                        Last edited by KIMFAB; 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM.
                        Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                          • Apr 2009

Woman's tennis!
                          Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• studentjim
                            • Mar 2004

Go to a zoo and get some grunts from a constipated gorilla.

Comment

Working...
                            X