PDA

View Full Version : ebay watch

abn
02-11-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm sure you wont be able to contain your gratitude that I brought this rare and special auction to your attention:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2594989568&category=41963

Joel
02-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Hey, thanks, I would like a few scraps of titanium. I was hoping for something a little larger though.

John Stevenson
02-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Damn,
That means I threw away over a million quid last month.
Sulking.......................

BillH
02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
uhm, what would someone use that for?

Evan
02-11-2004, 02:25 PM
You could start a very frightening fire with it. I wonder if he knows what he's doing?

nmtinker
02-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Evan, titanium does not burn, methinks ye is confusing titanium with magnesium, which does burn, is very hot and gets worse with water added! When titanium is welded it must be in a vacuum or it falls apart, or so we were informed in metallurgy class.

CCWKen
02-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Geez, a whole ounce no less. Check the shipping; I think he's gouging!

This seller(s) has/have had some strange stuff before. He sells a lot of titanium fasteners. Maybe he gets more for the chips.

ARFF79
02-12-2004, 02:27 AM
nmtinker: Titanium does too burn. It takes more heat to get it going but when it does, look out, as it gives off highly toxic gases. I have also argued with people who say that Aluminum does not burn, to which I reply that the solid rocket boosters on the space shuttle contain powdered aluminum. A call to a Factory Mutual Rep can confirm this. I have been to their Loss Prevention School in Rhode Island and it is amaising(sp?)what they burn there( cause to explode) in the name of Loss Prevention.If you cut any large amounts of Ti, Mag or AlLi alloy your local Fire Marshal most assuredly will be asking you to keep the chips segregated in covered cans and have at least one large Metal-X- fire extinguisher at hand. 30 years in the fire service, 6 of them in inspection gives me a little expertice in this.

WhizzbangK.C
02-12-2004, 02:31 AM
nmtinker, you state "titanium does not burn, methinks ye is confusing titanium with magnesium, which does burn, is very hot and gets worse with water added! When titanium is welded it must be in a vacuum or it falls apart, or so we were informed in metallurgy class."
I feel I must in the interest of safety for all inform you that you are very, very wrong with that statement. Titanium will not only burn, but is almost impossible to extinguish after combustion starts. It is the only substance on earth that will sustain high energy (combustion) reaction with nitrogen. That is where titanium nitrate (the gold colored coating on bits and cutters) comes from. I've personally seen it happen. While working on the B1-B program, one of the new hires got a 12,000 rpm drill from the toolroom and proceded to try to put a 3/16 hole in a large machinied titanium part with a carbide drill bit, no pilot hole or anything! He got in about 1/8 inch and then the bit stopped cutting but he kept the trigger pulled and just pushed harder. A couple of seconds later smoke started coming from the hole and when he pulled the bit out there was a flash like a flash bulb, only it didn't go out! Absolutely the brightest light I have ever seen! Fortunately there were cans of black powder specially formulated to put out titanium fires within arms reach everwhere on the work stands, and another of the guys grabbed one and dumped it onto the fire, otherwise several million dollars worth of fine machine work would have been lost. As it was it took a couple of days to come up with an approved repair and implement it.

Evan
02-12-2004, 02:55 AM
It doesn't even need all that much heat. It can start as low as 200C. As for aluminum, the Sheffield burned becaused it was aluminum (Falklands war).

nmtinker,

The reason for the vacuum (or inert gas) is precisely because it oxidises so readily. It can be ignited by static sparks. That guy on E-Bay is literally playing with fire. See the MSDS:

http://www.corrosionsolutions.com/pages/tech_resources/msds/803.htm

bspooh
02-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Evan: So does that mean that If I bought those titanium chips off ebay, and then had them sitting on my dashboard in my truck..and lets say its 100 degrees outside and naturally it will be even more hotter inside of the truck..Will the titanium chips fire up??

Thats a pretty scary thought..

brent

wierdscience
02-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I got news for you guys,given the right conditions stainless steel will burn,well proven at the Nasa test facility just south of here.

canonicalman
02-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Probably some kid experimenting with rockets, trying to make fuel. Or just watch it burn for kicks.

CCWKen
02-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Brent - Your steering wheel would melt and your dash would burst into flames before it got to 200*C inside your car!

Yep, powdered anything can be dangerous! I nearly burned a hole through my bench sanding a piece of Mg/Al block. Fortunately, it was a small bit of dust.