PDA

View Full Version : is there a "for sale" area here?

stoneaxe
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
i have a few pieces of nice lathe tooling I want to sell or trade. Did not see a "for sale" forum. Thanks, stoneaxe.

George Bulliss
02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
We’ve long had a “no for sale posts” policy in effect. The policy is due to the fact that we also sell advertising in our magazines. Of course, it could be argued that with a multi-month lead time for the magazine issues, and with the large number of internet based alternatives, almost all that would be posted here wouldn’t be a candidate for the magazines anyway.

That logic could be argued, but I can tell you for a fact that the argument won’t get you anywhere. So, at least for the near future, we will continue with our policy. Although I don’t see them all, I do try to keep up with the enforcement; mainly out of respect for the many members that have dutifully been following the rules for all these years.

Edit: Wrote this as I was rushing out the door. Didn't mean to imply that the argument wouldn't get you anywhere with me. Meant that it won't get past my boss; I've tried.

George

stoneaxe
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
OK, thanks, George. That explains why I did not find it!

Rosco-P
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Try PM or Chaski.

Ryobiguy
02-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I find it slightly amusing that users are referred to other boards. Isn't that kind of driving people away? I'm sure they'll be back, but what if there was a for-sale section of the BBS here that users had to pay in order to post? I can't imagine that the typical shop supplies that trade hands would displace magazine ad revenue.
Perhaps that's too much like ebay, and would require too much technical setup to make any money.

DFMiller
02-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Its nice to pontificate about how it should be.
We must accept that the people who write the check to cover the expenses and allow this board to exist will not allow a "For Sale" component. As George says he supports the idea but his superiors will not let it happen.

Patience.

Dave

Dr Stan
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Its nice to pontificate about how it should be.
We must accept that the people who write the check to cover the expenses and allow this board to exist will not allow a "For Sale" component. As George says he supports the idea but his superiors will not let it happen.

Patience.

Dave

I too have communicated with George about the lack of a For Sale section and the answer was the same. I too would like to see such a section, but for now we're beating a dead horse. :(

In addition to the other recommendations I add Craig's List as a possible venue to sell tools.

Bob Fisher
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
There are plenty of places available for selling things, Myself, I use Craigslist as I I like to see what I'm buying, also buy on E Bay when I'm looking for something harder to come by. This board is fine as it is. Bob.

Evan
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I see no reason to complain at all. Village Press is a commercial enterprise and they make money from advertising. The advertisers pay good money for the ads and private ads for similar equipment posted here for free would be direct competition in some cases. Were I an advertiser I would not be pleased.

sasquatch
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Agree, this site i find just fine the way it is.

I do love reading through "wanted" and "For Sale" ads as much as anybody, but i fully understand the reason for not having that section here.

kbertoson
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I agree with Evan. They pay the bills. They also sell advertising. It is there board. They make the rules. Just like the other board that is moderated. He makes the rules. There are plenty of on line places to list and sell.

J Weber
02-01-2012, 10:52 PM
This site is just fine as it is! :D Like many of ya,I visit many other sites.But it is this one I hit every day.

flylo
02-01-2012, 11:37 PM
No one would love a "for sale" area here as much as I would. I'm always buying, selling, upgrading,etc & it would br like giving your friends 1st chance. But I love this site & respect the rules. maybe someday it will change but i'm really happy I found & appreciate this site as it is.:)

Evan
02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
A further issue with a for sale section would be controlling it. It would be a nightmare to moderate. How do you define what is non-commercial, used or otherwise allowed? There are several houses on the road to town that hold garage sales every other weekend during good weather. Zoning doesn't permit running a home business that has drive up and/or walk in customers. Garage sales are an exception but 10 garage sales per year?

A free for sale section would be certain to attract some people that would try to take unfair advantage of it not to mention a lot of unrelated crap.

lakeside53
02-02-2012, 01:17 AM
It's dead easy; make it like the old PM area (which is now open again!) - a simple forum (the new "classified" is too clunky); the Moderators have the absolute right to remove anything (like PM). Inappropriate threads just "vanish".

Just like ths one, but allowing homeshop type machines ;)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tooling-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/
or
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/

Works fine "over there". Minimal moderation required. Members are excellent "police".

Oh.. I've bought a fair amount of stuff on PM over the years. So much easier, and you often know the sellers.

dp
02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
The lag time of printed adverts is actually why you don't want to have a competing venue on the web. If a member sells a used but very serviceable vise on this site it takes a customer away from the paying advertisers. It also puts the paying advertiser at a disadvantage for offering specials and inventory reduction sales. Even if they also advertise on the web site they are competing against a price point disadvantage.

It is true that many people just don't want to buy a second-hand tool, but there is a reason there is such a booming business on Ebay for hand-me-downs and it has all to do with impulse buying.

Rosco-P
02-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Simple enough to have a rule, no new: tooling; fixturing; measuring; workholding; machinery, etc.
Wouldn't be in competition with the advertisers who are (mostly) selling new items.
I don't expect VP will change its policy.

Mcgyver
02-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I find it slightly amusing that users are referred to other boards. Isn't that kind of driving people away? .

ah yes, the bane of policy makers everywhere and the undoing of regulation ; the pervasive law of unintended consequences :)

Rosco-P
02-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I find it slightly amusing that users are referred to other boards. Isn't that kind of driving people away?

If that were even remotely true, everyone would jump ship to join a board run by some tick turd.

Mcgyver
02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
If that were even remotely true, everyone would jump ship to join a board run by some tick turd.

:confused: your post #4 is an example of the policy driving people to other sites. Whether they stay at said turd run site or not is another matter......irrelevant to whether the statement is true or not that the policy drives people to other sites

Rosco-P
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
:confused: your post #4 is an example of the policy driving people to other sites. Whether they stay at said turd run site or not is another matter......irrelevant to whether the statement is true or not that the policy drives people to other sites

Buying or selling items on another board because they provide an sub-forum for said use, doesn't mean you've jumped ship. If you like crawdads and your local Mickey D's don't serve them, you'll go to a restaurant that does when you get a hankering for them. Doesn't mean you won't be back at McD's for burgers next week.

PM for one doesn't take kindly to people who join just to sell stuff. Those guys get warned and then banned in short order.

Can't we dispense with all the pseudo lawyer speak?

Evan
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
This will probably be locked shortly.

Rosco-P
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
This will probably be locked shortly.

I hope it does. The answer has been given, as it has before.

Mcgyver
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Can't we dispense with all the pseudo lawyer speak?

:confused:

the statement you disagreed with was that it drives them to other sites; it does. The statement wasn't that it makes them jump ship. Apples to apples please. I suppose what you meant was who cares if they're referred to those sites, the won't likely stay there . All I have is what you're written so there's a risk I take what you write as what you mean.

Why would a site care? I'll switch to your fast food speak...you have no idea whether they will go back to mcdicks for a burger or not.

kind of squarely in the 'whatever' department though so I'll drop it.

rowbare
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't think "jumping ship" is a great worry. Most of us are members of more than one site for our own reasons. I like the general machining and OT stuff here. PM provides me with my South Bend fix, CNC Zone informs me on things CNC. If I was doing a lot of buy and sell, and there was an clearly superior site for that, I would be there too but I wouldn't drop any of my faves for it.

bob

flylo
02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
If was ever decided to have a for sale section I wouldd gladly donate 10% to the forum. Barnstormers.com does this @5% for a 100 letter word ad & charge $5 for pics but I don't think it need to be that complicated. Pics can be e-mailed. Just a idea if it ever is decided to have a fot sale spot on this great forum.

RussZHC
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I am member of several Yahoo! groups but do not spend a lot of time on any of them...I don't recall a "no sale" policy there, though there could be...if there is not, I find it a bit odd there are not more sales involved within those groups [specificity, captive audience etc.]...now it could be the case I don't spend enough time there to see the sales or it could be the specific forums I am member to but the few times I have noticed it almost seems as though the items are "hidden" as in not really broadcasting the sale...

what have others experienced?

John Stevenson
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
The question in post #1 was "Is there a for sale area here"

The answer in post #2 was NO

End of story.