PDA

View Full Version : OT Swarm of robot quadracopters

Thruthefence
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIMGV5vtd4&feature=player_embedded

I find this sort of frightening.

A 747 freighter lands, and out of the cargo bay comes a swarm of these things, carrying a small but deadly payload of an obscure tropical virus.

philbur
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I find this sort of frightening.

Then you haven't thought it through.

Phil:)

danlb
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Um, isn't it much easier to disperse airborne viruses just by spraying?

The quadroters will have a pathetic range. Used as a delivery agent they would be useful only for targeted strategic attacks.

Unless they run into doors made of beads, bed covered with mosquito nets, or a window.

Oh well. Neat toy anyway.

Dan

Thruthefence
02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks, guys; I'll sleep soooooo much better now!

EddyCurr
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
The quadroters will have a pathetic range.For urban surveillance applications, there will be docking stations (like
cellnet repeaters) for recharging and the QR ships may have the
means for clinging to adhoc perches to conserve power and for
concealment while observing stationary targets.

EddyCurr
02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I thought this was an interesting QR application

Construction with Quadrotor Teams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtP3y8Rf9g)

aboard_epsilon
02-02-2012, 04:19 PM
in the not too distant Orwellian future were you are the goodie and the police are the baddies, you'll be hunted down by them ..surounded by them ..and everyone you damage will be charged...$1000 a peice on any income you have for the rest of your life....tha'ts if they dont cut you to peices ...as they will then have harended steel blades sharpened to a knife edge.

all the best..mark

danlb
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes, an interesting application.

They fudged it by hiding magnets in the beams so that they only need to get close to the right spot. You can see the QR jerked into position.

If that were life size, you would need a ton of magnets in one end of each beam. The impact as they slapped together would be fun to watch... from a distance.

Dan

EddyCurr
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Fudged ?

Using appropriate design placement of columns/supports and neodymium
magnets for location, I imagine that fairly robust structures can be assembled.

Considering that the QRs operate autonomously and cooperatively, there
seem to be a number of tasks such devices could fulfill.

tdkkart
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Um, isn't it much easier to disperse airborne viruses just by spraying?

Exactly, if you were going to the trouble of procuring a jumbo jet anyway, just put a spray bar on the wings, fill a cargo bay tank with your choice of nasty crap and let it go. Saves alot of money on batteries for them little copters.

Hell, for that matter, just fly the jet in with a load in the cargo bay and crash it, but that's not very original.

wierdscience
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Looks like a fun new sport to me.Simply give each contestant a Football helmet and a Canoe paddle and go at it:D

I'm not worried until they make them solar powered:eek:

EddyCurr
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Exactly, if you were going to the trouble of procuring a jumbo jet anyway,
just put a spray bar on the wings, fill a cargo bay tank with your choice
of nasty [stuff] and let it go.Video of Evergreen International's 747 Supertanker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSwypIGWGY).

Black_Moons
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Any virus that needs that much fluid sprayed around isent a very good biological weapon.

No, Im pertty sure just a simple purfume sprayer in a crowded location with 100ml of liquid is more then enough to cause a massive chain reaction of infection.

Oh hey, One 3 year old kid can infect thousands, They do it every day with viruses like the flu and cold. Nearly died that way myself once! Damn kids...

Thankfuly, there ARE NO TERRORISTS. Or we would be hearing about events occuring every day. Except the ones we elected to terrify us at every opportunity every time they see thier shadow move.

Thruthefence
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
OK, let's revise my screenplay.................

"747 freighter arrives, cargo bay opens, and out comes a swarm of 3 year old kids with the sniffles........."

"Mayor reports; One 3 year old kid can infect thousands! We are in dire circunstances"

wierdscience
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM

"747 freighter arrives, cargo bay opens, and out comes a swarm of 3 year old kids with the sniffles........."

"Mayor reports; One 3 year old kid can infect thousands! We are in dire circunstances"

Uh....747 arrives from anywhere in Asia at it's regular daily time at LAX,passengers offload and carry with them this years strain of Influenza:rolleyes:

smalltime
02-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Out here, there was a school system that shut down for days to decon the whole district just this week.

Evan
02-03-2012, 03:08 AM
A 747 freighter lands, and out of the cargo bay comes a swarm of these things, carrying a small but deadly payload of an obscure tropical virus.

Not going to happen soon. Those little machines are far from autonomous. The room is filled with cameras around the walls and near/on the ceiling. The cameras have bright IR LED lights that are modulated to send control commands to each unit and the blue LEDs are pulse modulated with ID codes to identify each machine via the cameras.

Lotsa computing going on behind the scenes to characterize the position of every unit in 3D space and generate the moment by moment commands. The individual units have solid state gyros for basic stability control but the rest is up to the off board computer system. Pretty fancy programming.

.RC.
02-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Well I for one will welcome our new quadrotor overlords..

darryl
02-03-2012, 04:11 AM
I would imagine a tesla coil momentarily firing up near a flock of these things would be good for a laugh-

Black Forest
02-03-2012, 04:19 AM
Those suckers come around here and I will whip out my magnetic impulse six shooter.

rohart
02-03-2012, 06:36 AM
This will be the first war for ages where the main line of defence will be the blunderbus or shotgun.

Those delicate little rotors will be suckers for bending by a bit of lead shot.

SteveF
02-03-2012, 06:45 AM

"Mayor reports; One 3 year old kid can infect thousands! We are in dire circumstances"

Didn't we see that show in 2009 with one Mexican kid? ;)

Steve

Greg Q
02-03-2012, 05:20 PM
We may see that show soon. Read this:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bird-flu-mutation-sparks-fears-of-deadly-pandemic-20120203-1qxri.html

The article reveals that at least one bird flu researcher mutated the virus to be easily air contagious, which bird flu is not currently. Good thing too, as it has a mortality rate approaching 50%. It fills your lungs with a substance too hard to cough up, like concrete.

If this virus was to escape the lab the worst case scenario is 3 Billion dead.

danlb
02-03-2012, 05:52 PM
The problem with a host of these little swarms as any kind of long term on site weapon is that they will take as long to charge as they spend in the air ( on station) . On the charger they are sitting ducks. Disable enough of the chargers and they are useless. Even better yet, put a net a few feet above the charger and you will destroy a lot of them before they get wise.

If you deploy a swarm of 50, you will need a lot of chargers to keep 25 of them in the air all the time.

I'm assuming that we are using current technology where we can fast charge but the batteries are light-weight to allow a payload. Also assuming the charging station has to be at least far enough from the target/suspect to avoid being disabled by the target/suspect so some time (energy) will be wasted going to and from the charger.

I'd sure hate to be the tech that has to climb up on a roof in unfriendly territory to set up a hundred charging stations with built in power sources to support my little army of QRs.

Dan

Rosco-P
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Similar to the miltary infiltration robots, David in Screamers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamers_(1995_film)

Evan
02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
These types of units are of extreme interest to the Army in single use deployment. What they envision is a tiny spybot that can be taken out of a bag and heaved into the air where it will automatically assume station so that it can peer over the hill, around the corner of a city block and similar. The camera view will be transmitted directly to the soldier or the entire squad for instant recon. Naturally, it will be equipped with night vision.

Pete F
02-04-2012, 01:07 AM
That looks really cool!

They seem to have a somewhat loose grasp on what the term "nano" means, though... :p

-Pete

darryl
02-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Maybe that was a typo- they probably meant nanu- nanunanu :)