PDA

View Full Version : buying direct from CHINA

REED2
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Most of the hobby equip is made in China anyone here besides me done that or care to hear about my experiences, some bad some good. tom

EddyCurr
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

I briefly considered trying to contact the manufacturer of an imported
tool about purchasing a replacement part. Although I located contact
information, I ultimately elected to make a replacement.

I have noticed that several members here purchase from DealExtreme.
I bellieve that is sort of like buying from China.

lakeside53
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
A huge amount of the china product on ebay is direct shipped. I've bought a few things - no issues at all.

platypus2020
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
I've bought some stuff directly from Hong Kong (CTC), the prices were good, and delivery was very slow. I got what I wanted and the quality was good. One order took about 8 weeks, the others were in 2-3 weeks. I don't know if I would ever order from them again, for me the delivery was the deal killer.

The Artful Bodger
02-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I considered buying a Sieg SX4 mill and made an enquiry on their website, when it became clear there was no agent in my area they offered to deal direct and there seemed to be no issues for them to do that.

But I bought something else instead when I found there was quite a lead time on the SX4.

The Artful Bodger
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
CTC shipped to me here in New Zealand within a week.

grannygear
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I realize this is not quite the gist of your question. But, it seems to me that if you have some money to spend and you're trying to get your hands on a piece of gear, why don't you spend locally? Excellent quality American-made used products are going begging, from what I understand. Are you sure you really want to send more money overseas, to support the China economy at the expense of the US one?

And I know how contradictory that sounds, since I live and work in China and depend on (mostly) the export market to support myself. If I could buy used American quality here, believe me I would. I must make do with what's available locally, which is acceptable for my modest means and my even more modest skills. So in that regard, I am using my dollars to vote by supporting my "local" economy. Maybe you should consider the same. Just my opinion.

But without any question, only choose a brand that has a US-based sales and rep office at least. A Chinese mfr., selling to you directly, is an invitation to be ripped off.

Bill736
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I was recently searching on eBay for a small electronic device . I found some, but they were all shipped directly from China. I was not comfortable with sending any of my PayPal or credit card information to China, nor did I feel that there would be any practical way to return the item if defective. I decided to haul out my boxes of old electrical junk, and make my own device.

macona
02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I realize this is not quite the gist of your question. But, it seems to me that if you have some money to spend and you're trying to get your hands on a piece of gear, why don't you spend locally? Excellent quality American-made used products are going begging, from what I understand. Are you sure you really want to send more money overseas, to support the China economy at the expense of the US one?

And I know how contradictory that sounds, since I live and work in China and depend on (mostly) the export market to support myself. If I could buy used American quality here, believe me I would. I must make do with what's available locally, which is acceptable for my modest means and my even more modest skills. So in that regard, I am using my dollars to vote by supporting my "local" economy. Maybe you should consider the same. Just my opinion.

But without any question, only choose a brand that has a US-based sales and rep office at least. A Chinese mfr., selling to you directly, is an invitation to be ripped off.

Buying used american vs new chinese really does nothing for the economy. Buying new american does. But for many things, like small lathes, there is no american counterpart so it really does not matter.

mike4
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I have searched for suppliers in China , most are like any manufacturers , they will sell direct if you purchase by the 1000, or continuos monthly orders for a couple of years .
This is not for mickey mouse items either , spindles ,chucks, machines.
I have found like some others that you can get good products from China ,Korea and sometimes even India.
Japan used to be the source of "junk" now its regarded as a decent manufacturer of high tech equipment .
Given time these countries will be as good as or even surpasse the europeans and US manufacturers as most companies are now only interested in "Profit for shareholders" , service to customers is fast becoming a rarity with many .
Time will tell .
Michael

Don Young
02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
In many years of EBay buying, I recently lost my PayPal money the first time. The item had a listed shipping date window which extended past 45 days. When it did not arrive I realized that claims for non-arrival have to be filed within 45 days of the purchase date.

It wasn't much money and the seller is no longer active. About 20 feedbacks were posted complaining of non-arrival of items.

Jim Shaper
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I disagree Jerry.

Buying used keeps the money in our economy, vs sending it (even a small part) overseas by buying imported.

You're not changing the fact that no one's making hobby machines here, but you are impacting the amount of our currency that leaves our shores - and that does matter in the big picture.

justanengineer
02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Buying used american vs new chinese really does nothing for the economy.

I think those of us that make our living dealing in used equipment (as my father did for 30+ yrs) would disagree.

jep24601
02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I was recently searching on eBay for a small electronic device . I found some, but they were all shipped directly from China. I was not comfortable with sending any of my PayPal or credit card information to China, nor did I feel that there would be any practical way to return the item if defective. I decided to haul out my boxes of old electrical junk, and make my own device.
Defective items can be returned at a reasonable shipping price by USPS BUT the Chinese Govenment prohibits the mailing of many electronics items including cameras etc so if you try to return a defective item the Chinese customs rejects it at the border and you get it back.

REED2
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I have purchased many items from CHINA mostly because there is no real supply of good used US or CDN made equip here in ALBERTA. The first purchase I made was from riverweld equip when I first decided to downsize my welding equip, I sold my older mig welder and miller stick welder and bought a wse200p from riverweld, I was so impressed with it I purchased a 60 amp plasma cutter, was very impressed with both so bought all my consumables from them as well. My next big purchase was from a crook at SHANXI YUANG HANG MACHINERY, I purchased a RONGFU 45 clone with indexing table, 8 inch rotary table, vise, ER 40 collet set with 3 axis DRO all this delivered to CALGARY for $3200.00 a good deal you have to prepay for equip like this when you order. The problem with the deal the crook only shipped to Vancouver BC and it cost me an extra $500.00 to get it home from there and when it got here it was the mill I ordered except instead of being an ISO30 quill it was MT4 (all the tooling I purchased was MT4), he did not send the vise or the 8 inch rotary table and he refuses to complete the deal as ordered. I would recommend people not deal with him. My next purchase was from an equip mfr (one of the best in CHINA) particularly from a young gal named JENELLE email timewaymachine01@yahoo.com.cn, I wish I had found Timeway and her first as she was a pleasure to deal with. I purchased a new 12x40 lathe with DRO installed, all accessories including taper attachment, extra faceplate, qc toolpost as well as 10 inch vertical+horzontal table, 200 mm 3jaw chuck for the rotary table, 5C spin indexer, 2 sets of v blocks with clamps, quick change chuck set and a couple other items. All this delivered to Calgary AB for just over $4000.00. I received everything I ordered and the lathe is excellent all the controls are smooth, in my estimation it is much better than the SUMMITT toolroom lathe I bought new in 1982 for about $6000.00. If anyone inquires of Timeway make sure you tell JENELLE that I gave you her name, I will be a repeat customer as soon as I sell my RF45 I intend to buy a larger machine from her. I have bought many items from CTC tools as well and have never been disappointed I am in no hurry to get things as I am getting my shop ready for retirement but that won't be for a few yrs so shipping time is no where near as important to me as quality and price. I don't know if I can post attachments but will try to post brochure on my lathe. tom

The Artful Bodger
02-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Well of course not everyone who posts here would want to deal through US-bases sales reps. Although I did not proceed with the Sieg machine I have seen others posting on-line that have dealt direct with the factory and were quite happy, not just Sieg but people in Australia buying other machine tools.

Of course I do buy some Chinese stuff locally and considering the support I get from the vendors I could hardly do worse by dealing direct where possible.

REED2
02-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Well of course not everyone who posts here would want to deal through US-bases sales reps. Although I did not proceed with the Sieg machine I have seen others posting on-line that have dealt direct with the factory and were quite happy, not just Sieg but people in Australia buying other machine tools.

Of course I do buy some Chinese stuff locally and considering the support I get from the vendors I could hardly do worse by dealing direct where possible.

I agree the local suppliers sell the same chinese mfg equip as I bought at near twice the price and from what "I got in my opinion poorer quality (they buy from the lowest priced supplier), they are arrogant and their after purchase
support is near non existant. Why would I buy from an arrogant p____ when I can buy direct at 1/2 the price. tom

The Artful Bodger
02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I agree the local suppliers sell the same chinese mfg equip as I bought at near twice the price and from what "I got in my opinion poorer quality (they buy from the lowest priced supplier), they are arrogant and their after purchase
support is near non existant. Why would I buy from an arrogant p____ when I can buy direct at 1/2 the price. tom

To be fair, some dealers claim to have their own quality control and assembly shops in China, maybe they do, but none of my local dealers are in that category. I bought my 12x36 lathe from a shop that had changed hands and the lathe had been sitting in the showroom for several years, maybe in that instance it was actually cheaper than ordering and importing myself.

My turret mill I bought from a local dealer who mainly handles much bigger and more 'serious' machines but I think I would have been better to import that myself as although they should be able to offer support I dont bother since they took three weeks to fix the capacitors on the electric motor (which I only sent to them to get it fixed under warranty).

John

macona
02-02-2012, 11:53 PM
I think those of us that make our living dealing in used equipment (as my father did for 30+ yrs) would disagree.

The people that deal in used equipment, at least around here, are few and far between and don't deal in what most of us would consider hobby equipment.

Plus the amount of cash involved is merely a drop in the ocean compared to the total money in the economy. It won't even show up as a blip on the radar in the scheme of things.

And lets say you can buy a chinese machine thorough an american importer for $1000. You can buy direct from china for $500. Either way $500 of that stays in the economy. Its just in your pocket instead of someone else's.

DFMiller
02-03-2012, 03:26 AM
I bought a Seig KX3 CNC direct from factory in 2009. As we know Sir John does some work with them. I believe John that all the one he see's are good. Mine is a lemon, I have recently found another fellow whom bought one direct about the same time and has had similar issues. The thing looked pretty good when I got it but it has major issues requiring a total rebuild of the Z axis slide and bearings.

I have to wonder if they don't ship the lemons out to the one time customers.

If I ever do this again I will go through someone that I hop on a plane and either inspect before purchase or hop on a plane and bring my Louisville slugger for a visit.

Dave

flylo
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM

I agree with engineer 100% even grannygrar in china agrees. How can buying new or used in your own country not help you country & it's people?:confused:

Knires
02-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I have purchased many items from CHINA mostly because there is no real supply of good used US or CDN made equip here in ALBERTA. The first purchase I made was from riverweld equip when I first decided to downsize my welding equip, I sold my older mig welder and miller stick welder and bought a wse200p from riverweld, I was so impressed with it I purchased a 60 amp plasma cutter, was very impressed with both so bought all my consumables from them as well. My next big purchase was from a crook at SHANXI YUANG HANG MACHINERY, I purchased a RONGFU 45 clone with indexing table, 8 inch rotary table, vise, ER 40 collet set with 3 axis DRO all this delivered to CALGARY for $3200.00 a good deal you have to prepay for equip like this when you order. The problem with the deal the crook only shipped to Vancouver BC and it cost me an extra $500.00 to get it home from there and when it got here it was the mill I ordered except instead of being an ISO30 quill it was MT4 (all the tooling I purchased was MT4), he did not send the vise or the 8 inch rotary table and he refuses to complete the deal as ordered. I would recommend people not deal with him. My next purchase was from an equip mfr (one of the best in CHINA) particularly from a young gal named JENELLE email timewaymachine01@yahoo.com.cn, I wish I had found Timeway and her first as she was a pleasure to deal with. I purchased a new 12x40 lathe with DRO installed, all accessories including taper attachment, extra faceplate, qc toolpost as well as 10 inch vertical+horzontal table, 200 mm 3jaw chuck for the rotary table, 5C spin indexer, 2 sets of v blocks with clamps, quick change chuck set and a couple other items. All this delivered to Calgary AB for just over $4000.00. I received everything I ordered and the lathe is excellent all the controls are smooth, in my estimation it is much better than the SUMMITT toolroom lathe I bought new in 1982 for about $6000.00. If anyone inquires of Timeway make sure you tell JENELLE that I gave you her name, I will be a repeat customer as soon as I sell my RF45 I intend to buy a larger machine from her. I have bought many items from CTC tools as well and have never been disappointed I am in no hurry to get things as I am getting my shop ready for retirement but that won't be for a few yrs so shipping time is no where near as important to me as quality and price. I don't know if I can post attachments but will try to post brochure on my lathe. tom
Hi REED2. I would love to see that brocure. I'm just north of you in Edmonton and am in the market for a bigger lathe. Thanks.

REED2
02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi REED2. I would love to see that brocure. I'm just north of you in Edmonton and am in the market for a bigger lathe. Thanks.

For some reason I cannot attach pictures or attachments, if you send me an e-mail reedth@shaw.ca I can send you the info or I believe if you go to hobbymachinist I think it is still up there but I can no longer acess that site since telling Nelson he should keep his hands off + let TONY run it. Tom

PS I have the entire hard copy catalog of TIMEWAYS equip, if you should want to inspect my lathe + are in the Olds area you are welcome to come see it. 403-556-9530

Willy
02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
REED2, is this the Timeway Machine you are reffering to?

http://timewaymachine.en.ecplaza.net/

The Artful Bodger
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Timeway, and perhaps others, have minimum quanties per order for the smaller machines which may discourage home shop orders.

Here is another link to them http://www.timac.net.cn/

Black_Moons
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
For some reason I cannot attach pictures or attachments, if you send me an e-mail reedth@shaw.ca I can send you the info or I believe if you go to hobbymachinist I think it is still up there but I can no longer acess that site since telling Nelson he should keep his hands off + let TONY run it. Tom

PS I have the entire hard copy catalog of TIMEWAYS equip, if you should want to inspect my lathe + are in the Olds area you are welcome to come see it.

Nobody can post pictures/attachments.
Put the image on http://imgur.com and post the link it gives you here.

Protip: Don't post phone numbers (You can edit your post to remove it)

Willy
02-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Timeway, and perhaps others, have minimum quanties per order for the smaller machines which may discourage home shop orders.

AB, your link does not work for me.

However looking at this page from Timeway (http://timac.en.alibaba.com/product/340678336-210442585/Engine_Lathe.html)for home shop size lathes does show a minimum order quantity of one.
But I have not done the leg work to see exactly how much the machine is or how much shipping would be. As we all know either one or both of these points could be a deal breaker.

Alistair Hosie
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I have purchased direct on some things from Hong Kong and China mainland, and apart from a few items which didn't turn up most did eventually their postal sevice is snaIl mail.Apart from that I found them to be honest and fair.I always did this through ebay so was not quite direct there are good outlets here which sell Chinese stuff relatively cheaply and delivery within days so it is not worth my dealing with China unless the deal is not being offered here otherwise.Ask his Ordship my pal and yours John he is very helpful on the deals with arc eaurotrade etc. I have a few of John's designed tools inc the 5 c to er collet holders which I have not yet used because of my lack of time in workshop last yeaR but I am glad to have it.kINDEST REGARDS ALISTAIR

REED2
02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
REED2, is this the Timeway Machine you are reffering to?

http://timewaymachine.en.ecplaza.net/

that would be th one, they have a good shipping connection it only cost them $275.00 to ship my lathe from China to Calgary. If inquiring please contact Jenelle timewaymachine01@yahoo.com.cn tom

REED2
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM

That is the link to the website, correspond directly with JENELLE on her e-mail you would be surprised what is avail without moq especially in machines and when buying a machine they have a good line of accessories avail, also they can be shipped with a machine with no extra frieght charges and no moq which makes them very affordable. I was only required to put up 50% deposit for my lathe, my friend is buying a nice mill, on the mill only 30% deposit.

JENELLE is a nice young gal not too long out of university, I was one of her first customers, she is very honest and if there is something she needs advise with her supervisor is excellent also. Via e- mail she has become a good friend of mine. tom

Alistair Hosie
02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
If you buy Chinese merchandise through a local dealer, and during warranty something goes wrong, they are duty bound to fix it,by law.I therefore ask the prudent question since we are not talking about very small amounts of money what is your rights regarding replacing a fitting parts then? I would like to know this myself as it has often made me wonder. Alistair ps good luck whatever you choose

The Artful Bodger
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Thats a good theory Alistair and they did eventually fix the motor for my mill but it was a job I could have done myself in 20 minutes (which would have included driving to the shop to buy the capacitors) instead having them do the repair I was without the use of the mill for a couple of weeks. The experience did not give me much conficence that they could have fixed anything else any quicker and if the part had to come from China how long would that take?

I expect after sales support for Chinese machine tools is about the same as you could expect buying old iron.

sasquatch
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Just my opinion, but i'd NEVER buy anything direct from China. (Or any other country outside of N. america.)

When i buy an item i want to see it, inspect it, hear it run, AND,,,,,,,,,,,,, I want to be able to TALK to someone from the company/business i bought it from if there is a problem.

Just too big a chance for me to buy outside the continent , and i do not feel it is fair to N. American workers/business's to bypass them over.

John Stevenson
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Last Sunday night I sat down and ordered a load of electronic components from all around the world. A lot from the UK as the free shipping comes in handy, some from Australia as their pricing on one small trimmer was ridiculously cheap.

Some displays and keypads from China and some chips from the US.

By this dinnertime everything has arrived here except the chips from the US and I'll bet I get hammered for tax and handling. Just lately it seems nothing gets into the UK from the States without getting caught out.

All the Chinese stuff has got in under the radar even though it's all over 18 per item which is the UK cut off point.

I buy loads from China that can't be easily sourced here and never had any problems on delivery or non- working parts.

I would never buy a machine from there unless it was from a factory I knew and had dealt with before. Couple of reasons, Ok it will be cheaper if you get clear of duty and shipping / clearance costs but how much cheaper in the long run ? Enough to throw away and redress for a local dealer who is forced by law to sort you out.

As Dave Miller says how do you know they they don't just grab a machine out the corner they have had problems with or a return.

Lastly if everyone buys everything from China we will not have any local agents left in business and that will force the people who don't want to buy direct to do so if they want the goods.

sasquatch
02-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Well stated, Mr. Stevenson.

DFMiller
02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
John,
LOL:mad:

REED2
02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Last Sunday night I sat down and ordered a load of electronic components from all around the world. A lot from the UK as the free shipping comes in handy, some from Australia as their pricing on one small trimmer was ridiculously cheap.

Some displays and keypads from China and some chips from the US.

By this dinnertime everything has arrived here except the chips from the US and I'll bet I get hammered for tax and handling. Just lately it seems nothing gets into the UK from the States without getting caught out.

All the Chinese stuff has got in under the radar even though it's all over 18 per item which is the UK cut off point.

I buy loads from China that can't be easily sourced here and never had any problems on delivery or non- working parts.

I would never buy a machine from there unless it was from a factory I knew and had dealt with before. Couple of reasons, Ok it will be cheaper if you get clear of duty and shipping / clearance costs but how much cheaper in the long run ? Enough to throw away and redress for a local dealer who is forced by law to sort you out.

As Dave Miller says how do you know they they don't just grab a machine out the corner they have had problems with or a return.

Lastly if everyone buys everything from China we will not have any local agents left in business and that will force the people who don't want to buy direct to do so if they want the goods.

TIMEWAY is the mfr all equip is built to order, if you read my posts you will see I learned not to buy from dist only from mfr which I did for my lathe. With this supplier all machinery is built to order. tom

I posted this perhaps to help someone in their choice of supplier to help them learn from my experience without running into at least the crook I dealt with first or others like him, I would advise anyone to deal direct with the manufacturer not a distributor I have provided a good contact, honest and with a good line of equip, quality + well made, not a piece of **** out of the corner as you may get with SIEG or from distributors. I made every effort to buy locally, the dealers with used equip here want way too much and their import equip is poorer quality and double the price I paid. I did not post this for a few ___holes to flap their yaps when they have nothing constructive to say. That will conclude my posts as others have hijacked this way off topic. nuff said. tom

Doggie
02-04-2012, 04:10 AM
ME???? No, I'll buy american, if possible, whether new or used. They will cost more simply because better quality things always cost more. But in the end your better off because you probably won't need a warranty, and will never wear it out.

My motto?!?! "Buy american made because the job you save may be your own"

Your friend, Doggie :D

The Artful Bodger
02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
We dont have a domestic machine tool manufacturing industry here in New Zealand so I feel free to buy from whatever source suits.

.RC.
02-04-2012, 05:24 AM

wow, ours is $1000 here which is about US$1050, that price includes freight...

While true, we get raped up the anus pretty badly here by the local tool resellers..... For example a spindexer sells for $180 here retail...

John Stevenson
02-04-2012, 06:00 AM
TIMEWAY is the mfr all equip is built to order.

I posted this perhaps to help someone in their choice of supplier to help them learn from my experience without running into at least the crook I dealt with first or others like him, I would advise anyone to deal direct with the manufacturer not a distributor

Very good advise that is next to impossible to deal with at a distance.
EVERY distributer in China will tell you they are the manufacturer :D

It's that laughable at at a show you will have a stand with a few pieces of gear, loads of posters of stuff they are selling and as an example you have stand selling lathe chucks, also on the same stand they are selling mobile cranes ? When you ask them they tell you they make it all when in fact they are agents for chucks and have rented space out to the crane guys.

Now Timeway may well make a range of machine tools, probably a lot of the expensive, large upmarket ones but when we get down to hobby range they will just buy them in from an agent. They can't make every machine tool imaginable.

The only way you can be sure of getting a machine made by a company is to go over and visit. Accessories are even harder because of this distributor network. Anyone who buys seriously from China employs a Chinese agent who's job it is to source whatever you need at the best price and this can only be done by going to the manufacturer.

These agents are very well respected and good at their job, they fulfill orders, buy with their own money, arrange shipping and clearances and only when the clearances are issued do they get paid from the west. Those agents are the buffer between manufacturer and customer. They know who are manufacturers and distributors.

flylo
02-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I have a friend that imported chinese tractors. He would go there twice a year & said they we're very good business people & would wine, dine % tour you very graciouslly untill a couple hours before your flight then start the negogiations knowing you had a plane to catch. Also they would visit him once a yer & all his improvements ended up on there machines. This was 20 years ago & I'm sre it's better now but some factories made quality & some pure junk.

quasi
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I wonder how much this is?

http://www.timac.net.cn/ProductShow.asp?ID=794

sasquatch
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Anyone know what maximum "Static" is concerning the cast machine base?:rolleyes:

Ries
02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I had a metalworker from South Africa visit me this summer, and his wife does high end interior design for Saudis- so she goes to China to buy 500 chairs for a hotel and the like, and takes him along.
Like John says, he told me how, if you go there, you can get what you want, see it in person, and get it cheap.
He found a company that makes copies of the Hebo ornamental iron system. This is very expensive German machinery.
http://www.usahebo.com/

my guess is the company he found was the one supplying these guys in Florida-
http://www.yacmachinery.com/

he bought an entire container of the machines, and said he paid extra for, and got, better bearings, electrical mag starters, motors, and so on. He would ask them, how much more for japanese bearings, they would tell him, and he would spec them. All of the machines were custom built for him. Cost was less than half of the german stuff, including shipping from China to South Africa, and his guys in the shop say they all work just fine.

So certainly, if you are willing to go there, you can get what you want.

And some stuff, like these machines, there just plain is NO USA made equivalent. Nothing even vaguely like them is made here.
I have another friend who was importing Induction Forges from China. Again, he was dealing direct with the manufacturer, speccing exactly what he wanted, buying enough at a time to amortize shipping, and checking each one when they got here. He was selling his for between five and ten grand each. The only US built models available start around thirty to fifty thousand dollars, and quickly head north from there.

Similarly, about ten years ago a group of northwest blacksmiths got together and bought an entire container load of chinese self contained air hammers. At that time, there were NO US manufacturers, and NO importers- since then, we have regular dealers here for a couple of Chinese hammers, and a couple of turkish ones, but at that time, there was nada. I know a bunch of guys with these hammers, I have run one, and they are good machines.
The trick there was- buy enough to fill a container, and buy real industrial level machinery.

The Artful Bodger
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a suspicion that some of the worst Chinese made machines are assembled in very small shops, maybe even 'cottage industry' where some guy struggles to fit together a 'kit set' of components supplied to him by an 'agent' that then sells them to end users in other countries. I can think of no other explanation for the occasional(?) machine that seems to have been fettled with an angle grinder, crooked holes drilled to mount accessories, crude packing, pan head screws in countersunk holes.

If you want one of those machines I suggest ordering direct from an agent or maybe buying from a local dealer who only sells one lathe every ten years.:confused:

Now if we could just buy one of these kitsets ourselves we could assemble it in our own 'cottage' workshops.

mike4
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Often there is no local dealer and you have to take the risk .
I am located away from the larger cities and the freight can be a very scary thing.
The people who are lucky to live close to a major industrial centre often have a large choice of secondhand machines of reasonable quality.

I would rather buy new with a warranty and get a machine that works out of the box and for some of the smaller sized lathes 12x40 for example the only ones available are Asian made .
I acknowledge that there are members who will not purchase any Imported equipment and have the time to rebuild a machine of their liking.

But as I have said not all of us have the luxury of a lot of spare time , or live in the US where reasonable quality used machinery is currently available .

So I make do with what some regard as "junk" , make parts , repair equipment for customers and get a lot of entertainment from the numerous forums , with some good info gleaned from some sites.

REED2
02-05-2012, 12:35 AM

Send JENELLE an e-mail it may take her a couple of days to get back to you, tell her what you are looking for and where you want it shipped I am sure you will get a quote that will surprise you. Tell her you saw my posts here but please if all you ever intend on doing is kicking tires please dont bother her.l tom

914Wilhelm
02-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Call me curious. Where is reed2 posting from?

The Artful Bodger
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Hmmmm, I see they offer shapers too, up to 1 metre stroke!:eek:

beanbag
02-05-2012, 03:43 AM
If you like JENELLE so much, why don't you go and marry her?:p

John Stevenson
02-05-2012, 07:45 AM
He probably already has :D

RancherBill
02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Call me curious. Where is reed2 posting from?

In post 15 (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=737677&postcount=15)he said he was getting delivery to Calgary, Ab, Canada.

lazlo
02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone know what maximum "Static" is concerning the cast machine base?:rolleyes:

The maximum electrical charge from the Styrofoam in the casting :)

Holy Cow - a Harbor Freight Deckel! I wonder if I'm the first person to use those words in the same sentence? :p