PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

steve45
02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I've wanted a machine shop for many years, but no time or money. A couple of years ago, I bought one of those cheap benchtop mills. It worked, sort of. It was better than using a file... until the circuit board burned out. Had to rig up an aftermarket motor control.

I've been saving up for something better, and casually looking on Ebay and Craig's List, but nothing worthwhile ever seemed to come along at a reasonable price and reasonably close to home. I figured I'd have to settle for a Chinese machine from Enco/Grizzly/MSC, etc.

One evening, I was perusing Craig's List and found an Index 747 about 250 miles away. Better yet, two machinist brothers had bought it to restore and sell. It has new spindle bearings and other stuff. They had receipts for nearly $2000 in new parts. I borrowed a trailer from my neighbor and drove off the next morning to take a look. It was very nice. Not perfect, mind you, but certainly a fine machine. We loaded her up and brought her home.

Right now, it's in the garage, waiting for me to clear out space in my barn. I had to order a phase converter, tooling, vise, etc., so I haven't had a chance to use it. I'm getting anxious! It will be SO nice to have a machine that will stay locked on two axes and cut straight on the other.

By the way, our stupid cat is scared to death of it. He won't even go in the garage now!

hardtail
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a great improvement all around.......have to shew my cat away while the mills running, half is curiousity, half wanting attention......

macona
02-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Phase converter? Rotary? If so and it has not shipped cancel the order and get a VFD.

steve45
02-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I bought a VFD. Now I'd like to find a 3-phase motor and VFD for my lathe!

sasquatch
02-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Any Pics?????????