PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Purpose Touch Probe/Tool Height Setter

gcude
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm collecting together a small pile of parts to build the electronic touch probe from the article by Arnie Minear in the Winter 2011 (Vol 6, No 4) Digital Machinist.

I cannot find in the article where the spring parameters are noted other than, "cut the relief area for the spring to seat in. This relief is recommended to be .600", a loose fit is noted.

If I just missed the spring specs in the article, could someone please point me to the page where it is hiding. I have read through the article multiple times and it's probably right there in front of me, but I just don't see the specs.

Arnie, if you are reading (don't see your email addresses listed in the article), do you have the data for a spring to use, or did you just raid your junk pile for one and tried until you found one that worked well? I'm looking for:

Spring OD
Wire Size
Overall Length

Anyone else built one of these probes yet?

brian Rupnow
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Can't help you there but----Its interesting to see the topic. I almost made one myself last week using my electric edge finder. The only thing that stopped me was that the electric edge finder is 4" overall length and thats too long for what I needed. The center of my rotary table is 4" off the mill table, and I wanted to electonically measure to the underside of an involute gear cutter which was 1/4" thick. Now that I write this down, I think "Why didn't I just turn the damn thing on its side" but I didn't think of it at the time.

gcude
05-21-2012, 06:09 PM
For others who may have an interest in building the touch probe, there is a Errata section on page 37 of the Spring 2012 issue of Digital Machinist. It includes the specs for the spring and a correction to the exploded assembly.

Thanks George !!!

RayMJr
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Might there be a CAD file for the circuit board available?

Ray M.