PDA

View Full Version : Questions on old live center

LHC
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I've removed the old live center from the Raglan lathe that I have been picking apart and starting to clean up.

It's got the stampings on it "J&S+Lunzer 320A".

Here's some pics - it's got some surface rust but appears to be smooth and does not rattle. I had a friend of mine clamp it in his lathe and we took a cut off a rod, and there were no chattering noises, and the thing did not warm up, so that's a good sign.

However, I'm scratching my head as to how one takes these things apart for cleaning / re-oiling/greasing or whatever is usually done for maintenance.

The body and taper seem to be all one piece with the exception of the little groove/step at the end of the taper. There's no fitting for oil or grease, and the front as you can see, gives no clues either.

Can some of you fellows help educate a newbie on this?

Thanks.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Raglan%20Lathe/P1020572a.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Raglan%20Lathe/P1020574a.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Raglan%20Lathe/P1020575a.jpg

Richard Wilson
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
J&S sounds like Jones & Shipman, a high class UK manufacturer of lathe tooling and grinding machines. I'm not sure that it is dismantleable, its probably sealed for life bearings, so if it runs smoothly and you don't get any chatter, leave it alone.

A word of warning - I had a running centre, no name on it, not possible to take apart or adjust as far as I could see. I used it for years, but started to get problems with chatter which just got worse and worse. I eliminated the running centre as the problem because it felt smooth and I couldn't feel any play. Eventually, for some reason (getting the tool in close to the centre for facing off an end, I think), I put in a carbide half centre in. Result - no more chatter! Six months later, I still haven't got round to replacing the running centre.

Richard

LHC
02-03-2012, 12:00 PM
J&S sounds like Jones & Shipman, a high class UK manufacturer of lathe tooling and grinding machines. I'm not sure that it is dismantleable, its probably sealed for life bearings, so if it runs smoothly and you don't get any chatter, leave it alone.

A word of warning - I had a running centre, no name on it, not possible to take apart or adjust as far as I could see. I used it for years, but started to get problems with chatter which just got worse and worse. I eliminated the running centre as the problem because it felt smooth and I couldn't feel any play. Eventually, for some reason (getting the tool in close to the centre for facing off an end, I think), I put in a carbide half centre in. Result - no more chatter! Six months later, I still haven't got round to replacing the running centre.

Richard

Hi Richard -
Yes, I think I will leave it alone, but it's just been puzzling me on how it gets taken apart. Your comments on being permanently sealed and not to be taken apart might just be the case.

CCWKen
02-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I had a small one I took apart a few years ago to replace the bearings. Very small--The bearings were 1/4" ID. It came apart easily because I think it over-heated. The center pin just pulled out and I was able to fab a puller for the bearings. The puller tips were made like a pilot bearing puller and I used a slide hammer. I made a new center and pressed the bearings onto it first then pressed that assembly into the body. There was a small ring separating the two bearings. That's why I pressed the bearings onto the center pin first. It works for me. I use it mostly for turning small brass carburetor parts and such.

I don't think I would try to disassemble a live center that was working. You'd probably have to replace the bearings. They're really not made to take apart so pulling the bearings would most likely ruin them (flat spots from the slide hammer). Unless you had a way to push them out with grease pressure. (Another special tool)

Forrest Addy
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
If it aint broke, don;t fix it.

That is a small lubricated for life live center. It has no user service access. "If it aint broke..." is not only good advice but advice that if followed ensures against certain ruin of a usable tool.

LHC
02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
If it aint broke, don;t fix it.

That is a small lubricated for life live center. It has no user service access. "If it aint broke..." is not only good advice but advice that if followed ensures against certain ruin of a usable tool.

Right-o - I'll heed the warnings and leave well enough alone (a new approach for me BTW)...

Alistair Hosie
02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I agree with Forest the thing would not be easy to take apart properly and re build.Also are they not sealed for life bearings? Also for what it costs for a new one I would just buy second hand or new. If mine was not working that's a different matter though it can't hurt to try and it might be fun to work on it just for the expeerience knowing you were going to chuck it in the bin otherwise ,but yours seems to be ok so why go to trouble .cheers Alistair