PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Grizzly's customer service.

Spookydad
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Recently I have posted a few non-flattering, (some might say whiny) posts regarding the issues that I have had with my Grizzly Mill and Lathe. I was frustrated and impatient. However I did my best to stick to just the facts of what happened and hopefully that will give others the opportunity to make their decisions on the wide range of people's experiences.

I would like to take the opportunity to praise Grizzly's customer service. They have been responsive, helpful, generous, and quick to send out replacement parts.

The ONLY issue I have is with the need to make the repairs in the first place. I chose Grizzly because of their reputation of having better QC in the factory. I may have got lemons by their standards, but for the most part, the issues I had were not obvious to the naked eye, so it is probably a little unfair to find fault.

Before anyone chimes in with the standard, "that's what you get for buying cheap Chinese junk", I knew that going in, and I am discounting the tune-up work that was necessary to get them working upon delivery. I expected that and that was the limit of my budget.

I did scour Craig's list and came up empty. Although, just because it is American/German made, if it has been treated badly, repairs for those machines can be as expensive and time consuming as the Chinese stuff.

All in all, I will purchase from Grizzly again, and have already dog eared a couple of pages in the current catalog.

Neil

Willy
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Fair enough.
It's customer feedback like yours that eventually trickles down and leads to a better product.
With the volume of equipment that Grizzly sources from it's vendors I'm sure they too will have a bone to pick with their suppliers.
In the end it's Grizzly's reputation that suffers from unhappy customers, at least they are doing as much as possible to make amends.

gbritnell
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I just purchased a vertical knee mill from Grizzly late last year.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/VS-Milling-Machine-with-Ram-Head/G0695
Wanting something that could go in my basement shop ruled out Bridgeports and their clones.
After checking out all the critical dimensions, tram, alignment etc. I am quite pleased with the machine.
After using it only a couple of times the chip cover from the back of the table to the column cracked. The neoprene or whatever they use for this was so old and hard whenever it moved it would make another crack.
I contacted Grizzly and they said the part was back-ordered. Fair enough but 2 months for a piece of neoprene. I'm just glad it's not a hard part, bearing, handle, gib etc.
gbritnell