PDA

View Full Version : Double check my machine lubrication strategy

Ggerg1186
02-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I have about a gallon of 10W machine oil left in a five gallon pail that I plan to use in the lubrication points of my rockwell mill, southbend lathe, and rockwell drill press, I also plan to use this on the ways and screws of the mill table.

I have a gallon of LPS 3 that I plan to use for storing my knee blocks, and other solid metal tools that I plan to use infrequently. I also plan to use this on the exposed surface of my mill arm that supports the head, As I do not plan to move the mill head often. Anyone know if LPS3 can stay in a pump oil can?

I have a gallon of LPS2 that I plan to use in a squirt bottle on my mill table and other exposed metal surfaces that I use frequently. like chucks and my surface plate.

I have a few bottles of starrett tool and instrument oil for micrometers and other measurement tools.

I need to get some gease for my lathe chucks.

thistle
02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
no

for the south bend lathe spindle, an ISO 22 hydraulic or spindle oil- like mobil Velocite 10 oil
for the bed an slides of all- ISO 68 way oil like vactra #2
If the mill is a horizontal , for the gears assuming they run in a bathof oil,
I have a similar elliott horizontal , ISO 68 hydraulic

lps is pretty volatile and seems to dissapear quickly, lps 3 seems to kill the plastic spray bottles, and the wax drops out blocking up other forms of delivery.

you can put cooking oil, peanut butter or shaving foam on your machinery if you really want but , really you should buy the right stuff.
of course what i have just said will prompmt 100 responses about how some one has used motor oil in their machines since the year 1066 with out problem....

RussZHC
02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I won't speak to the other but I do think oil actually made for ways is a good investment...there is a difference

Ggerg1186
02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, this is the oil that was provided with the shop

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Machine%20Tools/DSC03309.jpg

The blue plastic bottle on the end is Pastal Prime Cut. All three pails of cutting oil are nearly full. Probably last me a lifetime. There is about a gallon of dixon 30 oil, and a gallon of petraulic AZ oil remaining in the pails.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Machine%20Tools/DSC03307.jpg

I also got a drawer full of unlabeled misc stuff and a few spray cans that don't have any propellent left

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Machine%20Tools/DSC03310.jpg

If I had to guess, I would say the Dixon 30 Oil was mixed 4:1 with the DoAll way lubricant and used on all of the equipment for the last fifteen years. Equipment is in great shape, so I figured I would use it liberally to get rid of it, then switch to vactra way oil for slides and feed screws and velocite for the spindles and heads of the mill/lathe. However, it might take me five years to finish off the last gallon of that five gallon pail.

Otherwise, I can give it all to my mechanic for his engine oil fired shop heater, and buy fresh.

tdkkart
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Otherwise, I can give it all to my mechanic for his engine oil fired shop heater, and buy fresh.

With the exception of stuff you can positively identify, the above may be the best strategy.

Something to remember and think about when looking at lube and maintenance schedules.....realize that these schedules were most likely written with industrial operation in mind. The needs of a machine operating in a home shop are vastly different than a machine operating 3 shifts a day/5 days/week. Some things may need to be done more, others far less. Following the "oil daily" routine in the hobby-use shop will most likely be wrong in one direction or the other.

Ggerg1186
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, I have two kids 7&9, a wife, a full time engineering job, an old beat up chevy daily driver, and I just started a 2 year MBA program.

Lets say its going to be idle for extended periods of time.