X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Anyone use Canode blue for scraping?

I have heard it is easier to clean up. is that true?

It comes in such a large bottle... do you have to use more?

Does it show up as well as prussian blue?

It is water-based, I understand, does it make rust?

Basically, if you have used both kinds, do you prefer Canode or prussian?
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.
  • duckman
    • Nov 2009

I've been using it since the early 70's love the ability to wash it off with water, also used Prussian bluing when it was necessary, also used red lead which I still have a peanut can half full of. Canode comes in small bottles about 2 ounces IIRC, there is a variety of colors available. It works as good as PBing, never saw any rust, you can rub it out so there is only a hint of color, and you don't use any more than Prussian bluing, and its cheaper than bluing, and if you accidently ate it won't hurt you might have technicolor poop for a while (LOL).
    Last edited by duckman; 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• gary hart
      • Nov 2003

Prefer the Canode mainly cause it comes in other colors then blue. My eyes have hard time seeing the light blue color and the red shows much better for me when the pigment gets thin. The clean up is a big plus.

Comment

• Forrest Addy
        • Oct 2002

It's good stuff. I taught my classes using both Prussian blue and Canode.

The advantages are not clear cut. I think Prussian blue is bit more sensitive in thin films but Canode cleans up easier - otherwise it's a coin flip.

Canode blue as a transfer medium and Canode yellow as a contrast medium is a hard combination to beat since red lead has been taken from the scraper hand's pigment armementarium. I've used yellow ochre as a contrast medium but its a bit abrasive. Scraped tooling has to be tuned up oftener. Canode has the advantage of coming pre-mixed and ready to use. Prussian blue comes ready to use but contract media has to be made up by the scraper hand or imported from Italy. PITA.

I think Richard King uses Canode exclusively in his classes.

I prefer Prussian blue myself but I suspect my preference is more inertia than technical merit.
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Black_Moons
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by duckman
          (Canode ...) if you accidently ate it won't hurt you might have technicolor poop for a while (LOL).

I thought prussian blue counted as an anti-heavy metal medication?

'According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, an adult male can eat at least 10 grams of Prussian blue per day without serious harm.'

So remember, Don't eat more then a small tube of prussian blue a day.

*thinks.. 10 grams* I wonder how many times a day you would need to lick your surface plate clean before that would be a problem?
          Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• DFMiller
            • Jan 2005

I have some Red, Blue and Yellow. If you see my latest post it will be getting some heavy duty use soon. It does clean up nice. Mcgyver has some but he never told me how it liked it.

Dave

Comment

• TGTool
              • Aug 2005

+1 for easy cleanup. It will dry out sitting all day but you can spritz it and rejuvenate it. From the way foam rollers suds up when being rinsed out I suspect Canode has a soap component which probably helps keep it fresh and maybe promotes spread-ability.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

Thanks... Now I have to find a seller... Dapra has a high minimum, apparently.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• DFMiller
                  • Jan 2005

JT,
                  I got mine from a supplier in Michigan. They were not really quick but the 8oz bottles were very reasonable.
                  Since it will not have to cross border you will get yours much faster. I will try to find the details. Don't email them, call them they are old school.
                  Dave

Comment

• DFMiller
                    • Jan 2005

JT,
                    Searching through my emails from 2010 found this one from Dapra.

Unfortunately we have discontinued the spotting ink.
                    Please contact the E.S Dyjak Company*@ 248+684-4260
                    They are locateded in Michigan and should have ink still available.

These guys are where I got mine. I think they are the supplier.

Dave

Comment

• .RC.
                      • Aug 2004

This is canode red and yellow used as a contrast medium with some very good home made prussian blue scraping medium as the blue...

Precision takes time.

Comment

• TGTool
                        • Aug 2005

Very nice work. Thanks for the picture.
                        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• gcude
                          • Jan 2009

When Dapra didn't have what I needed, I got mine at Volk Corp:

NOTE: When ordering online, the 1.5 oz. size does not have a color selection pull-down option like all the other sizes.

At the time I was looking for canode ink in yellow. I visited Volk and clicked the 1.5 oz. and didn't get an option for anything but blue, so I looked elsewhere for another supplier. Luckily, another member on this forum or PM pointed me back to Volk and by selecting one of the other sizes, I saw the color selections. They have canode ink in blue, orange, red, white and yellow.
                          Cheers,
                          Gary

Comment

• J Tiers
                            • Jan 2004

Thanks.... I will try these options

Comment

• lazlo
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                              I think Prussian blue is bit more sensitive in thin films but Canode cleans up easier - otherwise it's a coin flip.
                              Canode washes off. Prussian Blue permanently stains everything: the surface plate, your skin, your clothes... Plus because it's oil based, it binds with the cast iron swarf and makes a nasty lapping paste.
                              Rich bans prussian blue from his classes, for good reason.

Richard: nice spotting! I use the blue/yellow. Might have to try the Canode red
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X