PDA

View Full Version : Need to know buffing 101 for dummies

jeremy13
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Today I will finish up my buffer project and would like to try it out on some aluminum bar stock. I have verity of buffs and sisal wheels along with black, red and another color rough I canít remember. The bar stock is mill finish and machined on one side. There was a thread talking about a buffer project that I canít find right now. I seem to remember reading about burning the aluminum if not careful.

Mcgyver
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM
like any abrasive process, you benefit from progressing from coarse to fine. Buffing is the final stage.

Start by filing our the tool marks, finishing with a smooth file. then progress through different grades of emery, finishing with say 600. Then buff, shouldn't take much.

The problem with trying to buff too early, ie trying to buff out rather than file or emery out scratches, is that you have to take off too much material and the parts can get sort of a sloppy rounded over look....by progressively finishing as described you'll get the polished look you want but details, chamfers and edges will still look crisp.

While it sounds like a lot of steps, doing it the proper way like this is actually much faster than skipping steps and using too fine an abrasive to soon

duckman
02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
What Mcgyver said, but we went even further we would wet sand up to 1200 grit, you want to start with a sewn wheel for roughing in, you will also need more than 1 buff we had 1 for each compound, and when we were finished buffing cleaned it real good, then used a product called "White Diamonds" I have some aluminum that was polished 10 years ago :eek: , I can still just give it a quick swipe with a soft cloth and its still shiny. These are parts that are mounted on the engine of my custom car. :D

jeremy13
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I have several of each buff. I want to start polishing the custom parts on the 1000HP pulling tractor were building. The biggest pain will be the intake manifold. I was just looking at some stuff Caswell has that sounds similar to your Diamond compound.

baldysm
02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I buff alot of brass and acrylics.

For brass, I wet sand to 600 grit, use a emery compound to remove any scratches, then a tripoli, and finally a white diamond and I have a mirror finish.

daveo
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I have taken some pieces to 2000 grit, its shiny before you even fire up the buffer.:D

dockrat
02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I have taken some pieces to 2000 grit, its shiny before you even fire up the buffer.:D

Well ya beat me. I pack it in at 1500

Peter.
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Have a read of this Jeremy:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/Buffbook.pdf