PDA

View Full Version : DRO,s

troublecreek
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Hello, just picked up a 79 Millrite 32" bed. I'm looking at installing an inexpensive 3 axis dro. I've been leaning to one of the china built units (I know us built mill and china made c__p) however, my vfd is hitachi, my power feeder is also made over there as well. My question is, has anybody here bought and used any of the readers and scales from the DRO Store on ebay. Or are there any recommendations with out spending all of my tooling savings

tdkkart
02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I just received a 2 axis(TDS2i) unit from DroStore last Friday, all seems just fine, I'd be thrilled if it was going on my mill. As it is there is a small issue involving the radius/diameter setting for use on a lathe so I am withholding a strong recommendation till I see how that gets handled.
It was shipped fast, seems like a really nice unit in all other aspects, everything they said was there was indeed in the box when it arrived.
I'll let the forum know how the "issue" is handled, hopefully in the next few days.

The thing to remember about alot of this stuff is that most of it is like auto parts, meaning that not everyone that sells auto parts actually makes them, so what turns out to be crap from one place may well be teh same crap with a different label from the next place. The same place that makes Fram oil filters makes alot of others with different paint jobs, so be careful of all of them.

That said, I've had a CBX unit from Shooting Star/Star-Techno for close to 15 years on my MillRite mill, works great, never once had an issue with it.

MotorradMike
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I found the best deal was here (http://accusizetools.ca/index.asp).
I'm in Canada and could pick it up, not sure where you are.
They are worth a look though.

Rex
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I've had a CBX unit from Shooting Star/Star-Techno for close to 15 years on my MillRite mill, works great, never once had an issue with it.

I'm glad to hear that. i have a used CBX I'm about to mount on my Millrite.
I don't suppose you'd post (or email) pics of your mounts?

tdkkart
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm glad to hear that. i have a used CBX I'm about to mount on my Millrite. I don't suppose you'd post (or email) pics of your mounts?

Conveniently enough, I wrote this up years ago:

http://www.tdkmotorsports.com/cbx.html

Let me know if you need better pics, my picture taking as evolved considerably since this was written.

firemandiver
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
I just finished installing a 3 axis kit from the dro store. I'm very happy so far. The kit was nice, quick shipping, fair price, the guy in Singapore helpful, and it works great. The settings for lathe/mill is super easy to change. Just a few buttons and you can change from radius to diameter. I'd recommend the dro store. If you go to his blog you can see my install.

Here's the link: http://mtechdro.blogspot.com/

Will posts some pics as soon as I finish my VFD conversion

FD

Rex
02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Conveniently enough, I wrote this up years ago:

http://www.tdkmotorsports.com/cbx.html

Let me know if you need better pics, my picture taking as evolved considerably since this was written.

excellent! And also a powerfeed install, also on my to-do list!

Thanks!

GT1
02-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I have the DRO PROS 2M (2 axis mill) installed for the past year. Installation was easy (I did have to make a bracket and couple of spacers, but heck that is why I have a lathe and a mill) and it has worked great. The operating instructions were clear. Most work goes much faster with the DRO. I found myself using the bolt circle feature much more than I thought I would. The arc feature is ok for non critical dimensions (I still use a rotary table for an accurate smooth arc). Overall, I have been very pleased. While there have been a few times a wish I had the DRO on the third axis, a cheap 2 inch travel indicator for the knee worked well for the few times I needed it and I have modified digital caliper for the quill that works great for all the rest.

noah katz
02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
The arc feature is ok for non critical dimensions (I still use a rotary table for an accurate smooth arc).

I'm scratching my head on how an arc feature work on a manual machine...

firemandiver
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm scratching my head on how an arc feature work on a manual machine...

The DRO gives you locations for multiple cuts. Picture drilling straight down, moving a tiny bit in and over, drilling again, moving again, etc. You select the number of cuts you want. 6 cuts over a 1/2" radius will leave 6 big scoops....60 cuts over the same 1/2" radius is nearly smooth. It takes a lot of time and a lot of cuts to do but it works.

FD;)