PDA

View Full Version : OT question for an electrical engineer

Carld
02-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I have changed my mind but I can't delete the thread so disregard this thread.

J Tiers
02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
I am an EE, but have not sent in my papers to be a registered PE (it would actually work against me in present job).

If that's good enough for you....... I'm game if you want. Send a PM

Specialty is power electronics, but I do analog, and micros as well.....

Danl
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM
J Tiers, have you taken the NCEES exams? I know you probably have an industrial exemption at your current job, but wouldn't the license be a feather in your cap, to be used for future potential employment? Just sayin......

Dan

Lew Hartswick
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I was a registered PE in PA but left it lapse when I moved to NM
and was not going to use it for the rest of my career. That was
20 years ago though. :-)

...Lew...

Mike Burdick
02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I am an EE, but have not sent in my papers to be a registered PE (it would actually work against me in present job). ...

I can see some type of engineering firms not needing an engineer to be registered but to it say it would work against you surprises me. Would you care to elaborate a little more?

J Tiers
02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I can see some type of engineering firms not needing an engineer to be registered but to it say it would work against you surprises me. Would you care to elaborate a little more?

I'd potentially be more personally liable, to the exclusion of the company, DESPITE not officially sealing the drawings, and would have to pay the errors and omissions insurance myself..... last two employers did NOT want to do that.

jep24601
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Jerry Tiers is right on the ball. I am a PE but PE licenses are required where the project is built so although I am in Missouri I have had upto 20 different states licences and when you put an engineers seal on plans or reports you become personally liable regardless of whether you are LLC or anything else. Engineers working in their own industry/ factories etc. are for the most part not required to be licensed and have the sense not to be. Furthermore, if you are licensed you can be called before a licensing board at your expense at any time. As if all that wasn't enough now many boards want a number of hours of continuing education credits to maintain licensure but not all the boards recognise the same credits (especially Florida).
Rant over.

Danl
02-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't consider that a rant. I chair the state board here in Oregon, am an LS, not a PE. There is no industrial exemption for surveyors. One thing I find ironic, is the fact that NCEES and some states continue to make it more and more difficult to pass their exams, while expressing concern that there are a large percentage of licensees who will retire within a few years, and very few are stepping up to fill the void. States implementing CPD's add to that problem, and to some it appears to be an effort to increase the rolls in professional societies, with little or no impact on the education of the professional.

Boucher
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I kept my PE license for several years after retirement but dropped it after Texas made continuing education mandatory. Continuing education in state licesened professions in Texas became a bad joke after they lumped everything from barbers and masage therapists into one agency. The PE license is hard enough to get that I tended to keep it just in case. The decision of what to approve as continuing education is controlled by people that don't have the faintest idea about what they are dealing with.