PDA

View Full Version : First come, first served, with one exception

Evan
02-11-2012, 12:57 PM
While doing some organizing I came across a copy of Home Shop Machinist from September/October 1984. Back then I could sometimes find a copy at a book store in another town I used to visit on business. It was rarely available because the few copies they brought in sold out immediately and my schedule for going to that town was irregular. This may be the only copy of HSM I have from those days as I usually bought Live Steam rather than HSM.

This copy is in excellent condition and I will send it to the first person that asks for it as long as it isn't to Lower Slobbovia or similarly expensive postage cost.

Of note and possible interest to Dennis is the feature article: How to make a surface grinder from a radial arm saw. :D

I would prefer that it go to somebody trying to round out a collection. If Village Press wants it their claim will override others.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/HSM84.jpg

Peter.
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM

I don't want it!

Haha - fooled you all :D

That's a fine gesture Evan. I hope whomever asks for it really needs it.

Evan
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
It's already sold to the high bidder, 3jaw. Unless George wants it for VP it will go out Monday.

Ggerg1186
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Hmmm, I like the idea of adding a disc sander attachment to my Rockwell :cool:

So many tools, so little time.

ogre
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Im a beginner in machining,and would love to add it to my collection,which includes my favorite toolmakers book by frank grahm through audel books. i have yet to post my lathe project a southbend from 1929!

ogre
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I know it does not exist wo pics ,so i nreed to get on it.

John Stevenson
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
How much to Upper Slobbovia ?

Evan
02-11-2012, 03:49 PM
No idea John, I don't think they have a post office.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/slobbovia.jpg

John Stevenson
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Damn,
Have to use a carrier then.
Mind you looks that remote it will have to be a carrier pigeon :D

Hopefuldave
02-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Of note and possible interest to Dennis is the feature article: How to make a surface grinder from a radial arm saw. :D

Actually, I'd be interested in the radial arm redneck grinder! Got a lot of rednecks to grind...

Any chance of a scan and zip or sommat?

Dave H. (the other one)

sasquatch
02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Evan, very kind gesture to offer this and especially here on HSM.

quasi
02-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Ask George!

Your Old Dog
02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
I spoke with George just the other day at the pub. He says the family is fine and oh yea, about the mag. He said it would be better off in my hands. :D

George Bulliss
02-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Evan,

Thanks for the offer, but we have one back at the office already. Wonder how many of the radial arm saw/surface grinder projects were actually made.

PS. YOD is lying.

George

Evan
02-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Then it will be going out to 3jaw (Greg) for sure on Monday.
Thanks for the reply George.

dp
02-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Evan,

Thanks for the offer, but we have one back at the office already. Wonder how many of the radial arm saw/surface grinder projects were actually made.

PS. YOD is lying.

George

Mine wasn't inspired by this article but it works a treat. It is in no way a precision tool but it is far better than the surface people get from a belt sander. I recall getting a lot of flack from non-believers when I discussed mine here but unless you've tried it you won't know what the facts are.

And when you're done grinding it's still a pretty good saw!

The Artful Bodger
02-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I put a plate of soft metal on the table of my shaper and sprinkled it with abrasive grit then put my workpiece on top and somehow arranged for the shaper ram to shove it back and forth would I get a nice ground surface?:rolleyes:

dp
02-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I put a plate of soft metal on the table of my shaper and sprinkled it with abrasive grit then put my workpiece on top and somehow arranged for the shaper ram to shove it back and forth would I get a nice ground surface?:rolleyes:

You can put a float with polishing compound on the shaper and get a nice lap finish on the work.