PDA

View Full Version : Excitement at my shop today.

tyrone shewlaces
02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Get a load of this one...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/rgpimage/wreck.jpg

Relaxing and enjoying a cup of coffee this morning and heard some crazy driving and a cop siren. Got right in front of my house so looked out the window to see some moron out of his car running next to it as it coasted through my yard. Couple seconds later heard a crunch. Car gathered steam as it coasted downhill and smacked right into my shop. Fortunately there is no machinery at that corner of the building, so it's mostly just damage to the building and a bunch of disarray inside as that wall has cabinets and various storage. Lots of stuff strewn to the floor, but very few fragile things so I'm probably not hurt too bad on equipment or supplies.

Crap! Somebody found a little extra project for me to do today :(

A few seconds later the neighborhood was swarming with cop cars and a paddy wagon. Happily the moron was eventually caught.

So I guess I get to hassle with insurance company and contractors for a while. But I am happier than I can say that the doofus was caught - seems like that is so rare.

OK back to what you were doing. Nothing to see here.

dalee100
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi,

You should really keep your shop on a leash. Just look at what happens when you don't, they assalt some poor car.

At least no machines or people were hurt, and you will get a new piece of wall, if the inspector doesn't condem the whole thing. Then you get a new one!

dalee

KiddZimaHater
02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Tell HIS insurance company that BOTH CNC's will need to be replaced.

japcas
02-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Tell HIS insurance company that BOTH CNC's will need to be replaced.

Yeah, the car knocked the servo motors and control box completely out of the shop, and now you can't even find them. Definitely going to have to replace them! :D

Seriously, glad nobody was hurt, that could have been really bad if you were in there.

sasquatch
02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Very fortunate you were not inside the building working by that wall!

The Honda doesn't appear too badly damaged!!

vpt
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Do you get to keep the car?

tyrone shewlaces
02-11-2012, 06:18 PM
l'esprit d'escalier...

I should have whipped up a little sign that read "Drive Up Window" or something and hung it above the car to snap a quick photo before they towed it away. I guess I could photoshop it.

Do you get to keep the car?
I was actually wondering if I could get a cut of the auction sale of the car (of course knowing that wasn't reality). But turns out the car was stolen in December anyway. So that should answer any questions about the driver having insurance or anything.

Your Old Dog
02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Don't tell your insurance company you're on this forum! :D

But you're a solid citizen! A lesser man would have been tempted to drag his chicom milling machine over to that corner, throw it over on it's side and whomp it with a BFH till the cast iron gave way. :D

tdkkart
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
What the hell was your shop doing out in the street??

duckman
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
This is why people put very big rocks around the edge of there property, so some moron breaks a rock there are more, at least your not hurt, things can be replaced.

tyrone shewlaces
02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/rgpimage/wreck2.jpg

Guess I shouldn't have appeared so accommodating...:D

DHACK666
02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I guess he didn't see the sign.:)

:eek:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~sof2/images/wreck.jpg
:eek:

mike4
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Now that the wall has been moved in ,you should look for the plans of that extension and get the approvals done quick.
You know this may be the one chance to get your dream shop (building at least) .
On a more serious note, I hope that your equipment is ok and no expensive tooling was damaged.
Michael

x39
02-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks, I was wondering where I parked that darned thing last....hic! ;)

Carld
02-11-2012, 08:45 PM
It's a shame you didn't catch him before the cops. You could just claim you were trying to stop him and he kept ramming his face into your fist and you couldn't keep him from doing it.

bruto
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
It could have been worse. A few years ago, I was woken before dawn by the sound of a crash outside. As I was struggling to get my pants on I heard the sound of spinning tires and a revving engine, and by the time I got out, I saw this:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg830/scaled.php?server=830&filename=damagesmall.jpg&res=medium

My shop is, unfortunately, pretty close to the road on a bad curve, and a drunk in a pickup truck had skidded on the icy road. He drove straight into the front, and managed, surprisingly, to back out again and flee. Right by the door were, among other things, my arc welder and a kiln. Next to them was a radial arm saw. The saw landed about ten feet away, upside down. It knocked over a table saw on its journey, and landed on top of the jointer before hitting the floor. Above the saw on the wall were many saw blades, which were strewn throughout the building. I never found all the pieces of the dado set. The welder and kiln were pulverized. It took days of sifting through snow to find all the tools and parts that were thrown around. I had a bunch of stuff on top of the table saw, wrenches and sockets, and they were scattered as far as they could go. I got some insurance for the building and some of the tools, but of course nothing like what it cost.

A couple of little pieces of the grille of the truck were left behind, and although the cops kept most of them, I found some more in the cleanup. I went to a junkyard with them, and a helpful person there identified them. My wife and I kept our eyes peeled whenever driving around, and sure enough, one day I spotted the truck. The pieces were missing, and there were even still a couple of little chunks of my shop stuck in it! The cops arrested him, but we got only a token for the deductible. He was drunk, unlicensed, uninsured, and broke, of course.

Oh yeah, just to add insult to injury, it was February, and really cold, and there was this hole in the wall, so my wife and I struggled to get some plywood stuck up on the front of the shop to keep the weather out, and the wind whipped up and she got a wood chip in her eye. It wouldn't come out, so she had to call her eye doctor. But she ended up having to see a substitute because he had committed suicide the day before. It was a very long day!

But at least I ended up painting the shop. It looks better now.

mayfieldtm
02-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't get it?
I don't see anything wrong.
Tom M.

justanengineer
02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Glad no innocent people or machinery was hurt. I too was rather hopeful for some pics showing a rather bruised driver being arrested, but hopefully they will get theirs in prison.

Looking at the pics, I cant help but admire how lightly built that shed is. The Honda doesnt look banged up, and the wall just peeled away from both the roof and the rear wall without pulling either down. I hope when you rebuild, the insurance provides the opportunity to build it a bit more stout.

flylo
02-12-2012, 01:48 AM
4 years ago we had a meth head blow a stopsign,told the cops we was going over 70MPH went between the house & trees went airborn & totalled my truck & my wifrs van parked side by side & totalled his aunts car he was driving. It smashed our 2 so bad his insurance adjuster acused me of claiming junk cars & they were 5 years old. It knocked the air cleaner compleatly out of the mini van. He had about 1 foot on each side when he caught air. He ran off, my son chased him then took our last car which a tree limb fell thru the back window that day & went down the road turned around & saw him crawling out of a corn field picked him up & we held him till the cops got there. He's very blessed to be alive as is my wife who had just got home & we were sitting at the kitchen table right by where he landed.
Then in town a women rolled her car on a 25MPH street putting on lipstick. Some people.

Black Forest
02-12-2012, 02:25 AM
The bad guy will sue you for building your shop in a dangerous location. Your shop was obstructing his clear getaway zone. Oh Oh Oh, this is going to cost you big time.

Go to the junkyard and buy a junk machine and put it behind the wall before the adjusters get there. Spread some swarf around near the machine. Man that was a great machine. I know it I was there just a couple days ago and watched you use it to make me a very expensive part.

camdigger
02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Glad noone was hurt and there was relatively little damage to the major tools.

Some 35 years ago, there was a similar incident in a nearby town. In that town, there is a busy street running through it that forms part of a numbered secondary to the big river in the area. The river banks were and are a notorious party spot. One night a police car was following a car from the river bank back to town. When he flashed the lights to stop him, the driver took off through town. He hit the elevated railway tracks crossing fast enough he was airborne for a fair distance. When he landed, he lost control and piled into the corner of a house 2 blocks from the tracks. It knocked the whole house sideways several inches and caved in the corner of their living room. Thankfully, the middle aged immigrant family were all asleep upstairs out of harms way.

After the insurance company did the house repairs, the old boy got some 125# rail from the railway and built himself a RR iron fence disguised behind a nice picket fence. Wasn't real obvious unless you knew to look for it...

Weston Bye
02-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Two days ago, I was walking home from a visit to my mother up the street. It was after dark but there was a street light nearby. I was walking on the edge of the two lane asphalt, when a car turned from a side street and approached. The area is residential 25 mph, in the city, but no sidewalks. Pedestrians walk on the pavement and are (usually) given a wide berth. Not so this time, as I had to step off the pavement to avoid being ran down. I shouted and waved, but the driver was oblivious (texting?) or homicidal - made no attempt to miss me.

I may begin carrying a walking stick.... 4140.

<edit> maybe a nice tungsten knob head on a hickory shaft?

Black Forest
02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Two days ago, I was walking home from a visit to my mother up the street. It was after dark but there was a street light nearby. I was walking on the edge of the two lane asphalt, when a car turned from a side street and approached. The area is residential 25 mph, in the city, but no sidewalks. Pedestrians walk on the pavement and are (usually) given a wide berth. Not so this time, as I had to step off the pavement to avoid being ran down. I shouted and waved, but the driver was oblivious (texting?) or homicidal - made no attempt to miss me.

I may begin carrying a walking stick.... 4140.

<edit> maybe a nice tungsten knob head on a hickory shaft?
Screw the walking stick....12 gauge....job done.

flylo
02-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Weston, I have the cane for you.

Weston Bye
02-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Weston, I have the cane for you.

Picture? I'll take it as an example. I don't want to buy or be given a cane. Where's the fun in that? I should build my own. There is another thread on the subject around here somewhere.

vpt
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I'd use titanium, light and strong.

Dr Stan
02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd use titanium, light and strong.

Strong, but as you said light. You want something with substantial mass on the end. When swung it acts as a lever with the fulcrum point where one is holding the cane. :D

Rustybolt
02-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Bruto. Dude. Buy a lottery ticket. You're due for some good luck.

vpt
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Strong, but as you said light. You want something with substantial mass on the end. When swung it acts as a lever with the fulcrum point where one is holding the cane. :D

But what is better, a light stick that you can swing fast and get many hits in or a heavy one that can only be swung slower but will do more damage if/when it hits?

Dr Stan
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
But what is better, a light stick that you can swing fast and get many hits in or a heavy one that can only be swung slower but will do more damage if/when it hits?

Much of it depends on what you know. Since I was TAD as a Master at Arms for 6 months and did several duty days on Shore Patrol I know how to use a night stick and similar items.

When one-on-one, something like a cane is an excellent tool to jab into the solar plexus and similar "soft spots". ;)

Also excellent for use on the collar bone, jaw, nose, etc.

vpt
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
What if the other guy has a longer stick?

justanengineer
02-12-2012, 11:15 AM
I recall somewhere in the past seeing a cane that had a pistol disguised within. To me that sounds like the ultimate walking stick.

Carld
02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Smacking a passing vehicle at speed will be somewhat destructive to your arms and shoulders. Think long and hard about doing something like that.

barts
02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Nothing fancy is needed... a regular treking pole has a nice hardened steel tip; extending that as the fellow drives by will make him remember to give pedestrians a wider berth.

- Bart

Alistair Hosie
02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Very fortunate you were not inside the building working by that wall!

I agree with this can you imagine standing at a one ton lathe ,or heavy milling machine, when it was thrown on top of you? Wow you were lucky brother. Alistair

LKeithR
02-12-2012, 02:50 PM
After the insurance company did the house repairs, the old boy got some 125# rail from the railway and built himself a RR iron fence disguised behind a nice picket fence. Wasn't real obvious unless you knew to look for it...

Reminds me of something that happened around here quite a few years ago. Along the edge of a local park there was a long row of 4x4s planted upright in the ground and painted white. Meant to keep people from driving on the grass, leaving tire marks, etc.

This was back in the 80s when 4 wheel drive vehicles started to get more popular as recreational toys. Several of the local boys with big 4x4 pickups sporting big tires and heavy winch bumpers on the front discovered that they could "run down" this row of posts and break every one off. Happened a couple times and as there were about 60 posts in the row it created quite a job for the park maintenance crews. Cops had a pretty good idea of who was doing it but couldn't catch them in the act.

Anyhoo, after the second time around the maintenance folks replaced all the posts, just like before except that about 30 feet from one end they planted 4 or 5 lengths of railroad iron real deep in the ground. The trucks could only attack the posts from one direction so they made sure that the first of the iron posts was shorter than normal and each one after that got progressively longer.

Picture in the paper told the story real well. Showed a big ol' 4x4 PU with the front wheels off the ground and a bunch of broken parts lying in a big pool of oil from a ripped open oil pan. They had to literally lift the truck off the posts to remove it--don't think it ever saw the road again.

And the driver? He's still a buddy of mine; still lives here and works for the parks department. He did such a good job of replacing the posts as part of his community service that they eventually hired him...

Weston Bye
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I hadn't intended to hijack Tyrone's thread.

I don't think I would try swinging at a moving vehicle with a cane, maybe just toss the heavy-knobbed stick in front of the car as I jumped aside. That couldn't be interpreted by the law as aggressive, just a reflex while trying to save myself. With any luck, the heavy knob might leave an identifying dent or at least wake up the driver.

Even with such a defensive scenario, there is always a danger of serious confrontation even when one is innocent. I would prefer that the incident never happened again. Hopefully, the idiot was just a visitor to the neighborhood.

loose nut
02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Malicious destruction of a workshop and equipment. It's things like this that should bring back the death penalty.

Bill736
02-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Tyrone- Sorry about your workshop. That's a shame. It's been my experience that, when I'm injured, or my car or property is damaged, insurance never pays for everything. The "other guy" never has insurance and/or any money, and I wind up paying not only a hefty deductible on my own insurance, but also making 3 years of $200 a month payments on the loan I had to take out to cover all of the damages that weren't covered. Then , there's those " act of God" incidents that my insurance won't pay for at all. Then my insurance agent will advise me that making a "small" claim will only raise my premium rates. Then, the power company suddenly decides that the wires and poles belong to me, so they won't fix them. Then my lawyer wants $2000 up front to even begin a case that will take 3 years to argue. Then my ex-wife wants......never mind on that subject. On and on it goes ! It's not so easy to just be left alone !

mickeyf
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you Tyrone for posting this. It reminds me once again to be thankful for the unpleasant things that are not happening in my life at the moment, and to laugh off and recognize as minor the few that are.

Grind Hard
02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm going to second that "big heavy rocks" thing. I have a few around the outside of my workshop covering the only direction a car could come from that is NOT the driveway.

The front of the workshop is protected by a couple of very large cement planters.

Private Property/Video Surveillance signs are clearly posted.

I keep a lawyer in a pressurized rapid-deployment cylinder in the second compartment of my toolbox.

Also I have a gun.

So.

Please do NOT crash into my workshop, things will go badly for you.

EVguru
02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm going to second that "big heavy rocks" thing.

How about some cast Iron sculptures?

The next time you hear of an oversize, worn out and unwanted machine tool, position it artistically in your garden.

A.K. Boomer
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Damn Tyrone --- just the luck I suppose, and yes could have been far worse, level with your insurance company and hold them to it - u have to, it's why u have insurance...

btw- u have a good attitude about this mess and good luck to u in the re-store...