PDA

View Full Version : Is ther such thing as a CNC REPAIR company???

KiddZimaHater
02-11-2012, 05:50 PM
This company that I make parts for has 2 CNC Lathes (TSUGAMI & MAZAK), and 2 CNC Mills (CINCINNATTI & ACRALOC).
All 4 of these machines need repairs, tweeks, fixes, etc. but they can't find ANYONE to work on them.
I can help them with the programming, setups, tooling, running part, etc. but as far as maintenence & repair goes, they're on their own.
Why is it so hard to find a CNC Repair place?
I'm in San Antonio, TX. , there are NONE here, and there is only 1 place listed in Houston.
It seems strange.
I'd think the CNC Repair racket could produce big bucks for someone that knows his stuff.:confused:

Tony Wells
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I know an outfit over in Lufkin. Might be worth a call. Let me know if you want to contact them.

mmc005
02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Usually, any company that reps the manufacturer will have access to a repair tech.
I know there are a few people here in New England that repair CNC machines, but I have always found calling the rep. will produce results.

Dr Stan
02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Any & all of the local machine tool dealers will have techs.

oldtiffie
02-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Having the "techs" may be one thing, but having a full work-shop facility to effect any repairs beyond the techs may well be quite another.

Paul Alciatore
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I guess I don't understand. Exactly what breaks on these machines that is so difficult to repair or replace? Or are parts not available and must be locally fabricated? I have worked many years in the TV business and have repaired and even modified machines that are many times more complicated than a CNC metal cutting machine. I haven't seen a problem that could not be fixed if the parts were available. Heck, many times I fabricated the necessary parts, both electronic and mechanical.

Rich Carlstedt
02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Is someone looking, or just commenting ?

Both these are a few hours away

http://www.wkomservices.com/

They say in thier ad
"Experienced field service engineers
CNC and Manual Machines
Control /drives /electronic system troubleshooting
Mechanical /hydraulic /pneumatic repairs
Preventive maintenance programs
Precision leveling & alignment"

Or call Mazak
http://www.mazakusa.com/locator.asp?strState=Texas

Sometimes folks want the toys, but not the price

macona
02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I guess I don't understand. Exactly what breaks on these machines that is so difficult to repair or replace? Or are parts not available and must be locally fabricated? I have worked many years in the TV business and have repaired and even modified machines that are many times more complicated than a CNC metal cutting machine. I haven't seen a problem that could not be fixed if the parts were available. Heck, many times I fabricated the necessary parts, both electronic and mechanical.

A Cnc machine is a little more complicated than you might think. Older machines are a mix of analog and digital. Some used resolvers, some encoders and almost all use analog drives. Many of the older machines that were not based on a pc motherboard involved multiple processors and card racks.

You have to remember. Most people do not do component level repairs. To fix a lot of this stuff you need fixtures to do proper diagnosis and repair.

Plus a lot of stuff like the motors and drives are out of production and the companies that made them no longer support them. Often if they do you are paying big bucks to repair.

justanengineer
02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Why is it so hard to find a CNC Repair place?

Because any company that is seriously interested in making money either has their own on staff (line mechanics) or calls the dealer that sold them the equipment.

JoeFin
02-12-2012, 08:37 AM
You have to remember. Most people do not do component level repairs. To fix a lot of this stuff you need fixtures to do proper diagnosis and repair.

On the older controllers many components are no longer available or the manufacture used proprietary parts. Either way your going back to the manufacturer for parts "IF" they even support the system still.