PDA

View Full Version : Milling Bone

jfsmith
02-13-2004, 10:50 PM
I am working on a jewelry project and need some advise on milling bone. Any special speed, to keep the bone clean, lube is not an option, unless some ones a no stain type of lube.

Any suggestions???

Jerry

wierdscience
02-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Local knife maker I know uses Ivory soap and water for lube,more water than soap of course,other than that act like your cutting brass.

ibewgypsie
02-14-2004, 01:31 AM
And it smells real bad while you are cutting.

David

crypto
02-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Jerry,

When I was in my luthier stage I found that the odd shaped pieces of bone were easy to mill. Use a sharp endmill to avoid the heat generated by a dull or used endmill. The odd shaped pieces were easy to hold in a vise once I had first disc sanded a flat plane on them. And yes it does stink!

You might check out Luthier's Mercantile website (www.lmii.com) nice bunch of people with tons of knowhow about bone, ivory and that plastic substitute that looks so much like ivory.

winchman
02-14-2004, 04:17 AM
I think there was a discussion on the PM site about machining bone a while back. One of the things mentioned was the safety issue of inhaling dust from organic material. Might be worth checking into.

Roger

Maker
02-14-2004, 04:34 AM
I had to modify some deer antlers to 'plumb' some wiring so I broke out the dremel and a HSS bit. Ran at ~ 10,000 RPM and slow to moderate feed and all went well. I do recommend a face mask at least with a shop-vac running to pull in all possible dust.

Alex