PDA

View Full Version : interesting eBay pricing

TRX
02-12-2012, 07:19 PM
So, I'm cruising eBay looking at some lathe tooling. There's a boring bar I decide to purchase. It's listed with $16.25 shipping, which is a ripoff, but the overall price is within what I'm willing to pay. I'm browing using Google Chrome. I don't have anything set up in Chrome; my eBay and Paypal information (except for passwords) is in Firefox. So I cut and paste the URL into Firefox.

Page comes up, identical except for one thing - shipping now shows up as $12.76. I don't have Firefox set to log in, and eBay's banner still says "Sign in or register".

Hmm. I fire up Konqueror and take a look. It's $12.76 with Konqueror, too. I tell Konqueror to log in, reload the page, it's still $12.76.

Hmm^2. There's probably some cookie-setting going on in the background, but eBay is definitely charging more for shipping in the Chrome window than in Firefox or Konqueror. I didn't know they did that sort of thing; it must make it hard to vendors to keep track of stuff.

cut and paste:

Chrome:
Shipping: $16.25 Standard Shipping See discounts

Firefox:
Shipping: $12.76 Standard Shipping See discounts

CCWKen
02-12-2012, 07:51 PM
It's $5.95 shipping in IE. :D

Mister ED
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
It's $5.95 shipping in IE. :D
LMAO ..

spongerich
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
If you're not logged in, eBay is probably using your IP address to 'guess' your location. You might have a cookie or something stuck in your browser cache that's making it guess incorrectly.

sbmathias
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
So, if you buy this thing, what shipping gets charged???

Jaakko Fagerlund
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
So, if you buy this thing, what shipping gets charged???
The one that is shown when you are logged in and it is the same you will be charged when making a purchase. Mostly depends on your location.

wierdscience
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
If you have a Google,Facebook,Paypal or Youtube account and logged into any of those recently they all share information on you.

Also as it turns out if you use Google Chrome or have a Google e-mail account the search history and location feature are turned on,unless you log in and turn them off.

Isn't it nice this new technology?:rolleyes:

macona
02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Not like it makes any difference. Your ip address will give away your location pretty accurately.

Willy
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Not like it makes any difference. Your ip address will give away your location pretty accurately.

If not that your credit card history.
Never mind your smart meter printout.:D