View Full Version : food grade stainless holed sheet

02-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Can I get this? I want to make a couple of baskets that will fit inside some of my stove top pots. I want something that's got enough strength to it that it will withstand scrubbing and keep its shape. The typical screen material doesn't cut it. Something about 18 or 20 ga, flat sheet metal full of holes is what I'm looking for, in a food grade. Expanded metal would work, but doesn't clean easily.

02-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes it is available, I use it at work, I call it perforated sheet. they get it for us in 304 stainless steel.

like this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DKJQA4/ref=asc_df_B003DKJQA41900357?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003DKJQA4)

02-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Try this place...... they have all kinds of expanded and perforated sheets.



02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
That was a good read- then I went on to look at the differences between 304 and 316. Learned something about stainless steel, great.

So I'm going to try finding some perforated sheet in either 316 or 304. Thanks guys.

02-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Or you could just buy a colander.


02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
if you can cross reference anything, typical food grade stainless is usually called "18-8" so check that.

02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
if you can cross reference anything, typical food grade stainless is usually called "18-8" so check that.

18-8 is SAE grade 301
18-10 is SAE grade 304
19-11 is SAE grade 304L

I'm sure there is a complete list somewhere but we use 304 in a regularly inspected food plant.

Mister ED
02-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Yep the perforated 304 is what you want. We use it (baby food plant) with anywhere from .020 to .25 perforations, and anywhere in between, depending on application. Not sure where we source it ... I generally just go to the stock room and get it.

02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
as usual, try McMaster Carr

02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
304 will work fine unless you are making apple juice or some simialar very acidic food in a production environment.

FYI, I don't believe 301 is considered food grade ( metal that comes in contact with raw food ). Any perforated sheet stocked in the US would not likely be 301 unless it is special order as even though the nickel content is lower (about 6%min for 301 vs 8% min for 304) it is not very common so its usually more expensive. It aslo is MIL-SPEC certified. Yeah 304 chemistry says 8-10% but geuss what? Because nickel is so musch more expensive than Iron try finding any that has more than about 8.3%, just above the minimum to get it certified.

Perforated sheet can be had in almost any guage from .010"-.250" thick with holes staring at about .060" dia to 1.250" dia. It is usually specified as hole diameter x hole center spacing and sometimes by open area % ( example .060 holes on .125" staggared center apx 25% open). Usually made with staggared centers but also can be made on even centers. Holes can be round, square, hex, slotted, custom etc.

02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I could just buy a colander, yes. Or use what I have- but I want a flat bottom and I want it to fit. It's probably going to be easier overall to just buy some cheap stainless pots that nest well, then punch the bottom full of holes.

I haven't seen what I'm looking for in kitchenware, but I haven't gone everywhere yet. I think I'll shop before I get into fabricating this- if I can't find it I'll make it.

02-16-2012, 03:09 AM
If you are heading into the city any time soon Ikea has a very large selection of that sort of thing.

Grind Hard
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
If only you knew someone with access to a large pile of 304 drops and a turret-punch!

PM me the details and I'll see what I can do for you.