PDA

View Full Version : buying a 4 jaw chuck

metalflyage
02-15-2012, 07:55 PM
I am going to buy a 6" 4 jaw chuck for my 9" Logan lathe. My budget is max $300.00. Ebay really is not turning up much at the moment for used USA chucks so I have been looking at new import chucks. I have looked at Enco imports, CDCO imports and Toolmex TMX. The TMX with a back plate costs about $100.00 more than the Enco or CDCO chucks. So, is a TMX really worth $100.00 more? Anyone have other recommendations?

Boot
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I bought a Grizzly import chuck and am completely satisfied with it. It works smooth and is accurate. I completed a Jerry Howell Super Stirling Fan with it and I had no trouble . It held the work tightly and was easy to zero in the stock I was cutting. Boot

topct
02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
The only 4 jaw import I have experience with is the 5 inch from LMS. I thought the 6 inch to be a touch large for my SB9. I bought the chuck and back plate from them. It works as well as any 4 jaw I have ever used.

A good flushing and a touch of adjusting on the screw retaining pins and it works great. The backing plate came threaded and needed the usual fitting to my spindle and fitting to the chuck, nothing out the ordinary.

My only complaint would be that it had some sharp edges here and there but nothing a touch of a file could not smooth out. I am happy with it.

http://littlemachineshop.com/

gwilson
02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
The trouble with the Grizzly catalog is,they SELDOM EVER give specs. for runout on their lathe chucks,drill chucks,or tailstock centers. Not even the South Bend stuff!!! I recall seeing ONE tailstock center that listed .0005"

runout. ONE.

Of course,I refer to self centering chucks. But,specs for the runout of the face of 4 jaw chucks would be worthwhile.

TGriffin
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
There are many available at Plaza Machinery (http://plazamachinery.com/) that are well within your budget.

Tom

RussZHC
02-15-2012, 11:11 PM
KBC Page 520 (Cdn), Pratt-Burnerd America/Atlas Workholding, 4 jaw, independent, iron body, plain back, 6" under $300

Dr Stan
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I'd also recommend using a Craig's List search engine to see if one is available. With flat rate shipping from USPS the cost to mail it will be minimal.

BTW, I bought a used 10" P&W 4 jaw for $100 and shipping was only $14.95 in a flat rate box.

Doozer
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
The only spec that means much on a 4 jaw chuck, is the straightness of rod gripped in the jaws. We all know you can center a rod in a 4 jaw by just taking your time and skill to do it, but if the gripping faces of the jaws are not perpindicular to the chuck face, and parallel to each other, then the rod (or anything else) gripped in the jaws will not be straight.
--Doozer

1200rpm
02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
tools4cheap.
mostly imported, but the fellow that runs it(Jeff Beck) actually checks what he sells and if it doesn`t pass muster he doesn`t sell it or puts in in the "discount" part of his website with full disclosure of what he found.
i can`t say enough good things. i will alway buy from him given the choice.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/

firbikrhd1
02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
How about this Bison 6" chuck? Replace the back plate and you're in business.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190638654649+&item=190638654649&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Or buy a new Bison here about $247: http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcategory.asp?category=Toolholding%2FWorkholdi ng&supercategory=Lathe+Chucks+-+Bison&subcategory=Bison+4-Jaw+Lathe+Chucks+-+Independent%26nbsp%3B&type=False&specs=True

I ahve no connection with either link. I just did a search and found them.

Malc-Y
02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Last year I bought a nearly new Pratt-Burnerd 12" 4 jaw, D-16 mount, on ebay for 14, that's less than $20. Was I robbed?

Malc. :cool:

Mcgyver
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
The only spec that means much on a 4 jaw chuck, is the straightness of rod gripped in the jaws. We all know you can center a rod in a 4 jaw by just taking your time and skill to do it, but if the gripping faces of the jaws are not perpindicular to the chuck face, and parallel to each other, then the rod (or anything else) gripped in the jaws will not be straight.
--Doozer

a point often not noticed by the beginner who thinks 4 jaw accuracy just depends on the user's set up of the work. Its worth running the indicator along the work as well the normal rotation check, but really with a 4 jaw what you're paying for is how aligned under load those jaw surfaces are

To the OP, why just USA chucks? Pratt, Rohm Yuasa or even Bison and TOS aren't good enough?

A chuck is a work holding device, like a vise, a cheap one is just not worth it. For 300 I'd be looking for a gently used one from on of the above noted foreign offshore manufactures :) 300 should get you an excellent one

Pratt's Atlas line Russ is afaik low end offshore and is Pratt in name only. Kind of stunning Pratt would lend their name to the branding, another corporate marketing blunder.

RussZHC
02-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Pratt's Atlas line Russ is afaik low end offshore and is Pratt in name only. Kind of stunning Pratt would lend their name to the branding, another corporate marketing blunder.

Yep, that is what I found out too (they tell you what is made where on their site and that one, and the three jaw of similar number I bought, are either left out or off shore) [my hope, yeh the stuff that springs eternal, was that for a bit more $$$ than other off shore, there was a little more quality control...have yet to use so don't know; in looking at used US sources, the issue became/is the 20lb limit on those priority boxes]

metalflyage
02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I appreciate the responses. I got a few new places to look for tooling now and I did not realize Bison sold an inexpensive chuck. Why USA made, why not? It is just a personal preference that I try to buy USA when I can.

gcude
02-16-2012, 07:47 PM
There are many available at Plaza Machinery (http://plazamachinery.com/) that are well within your budget.

Tom

+1 for Plaza Machinery. Joe will have what you want in any price range, brand, condition.

Mcgyver
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
IWhy USA made, why not? It is just a personal preference that I try to buy USA when I can.

I misunderstood; I thought you were segregating by quality not economic zone :)