PDA

View Full Version : Welding cart tires

Bill McLeod
02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
I am making a new welding cart and it is going to be used up and down docks etc, and i am looking at tires that are suitable. I like the no flat tires you can get for wheelbarrows and other stuff. What I wondering is has anybody tried to make a regular tire into a foam filled no flat tire. Even if you have not done it but have any ideas on how to go about it. I am going try it using a kids bike tire as start and see how big a mess I can make. The current thought is to make a metal band to go outside the tire so when the foam expands I'll have a chance of it turning out round. Comments / ideas welcome.

Boucher
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
The local tire shop sent our front mower tires and had them filled with foam. It took a couple of days. That ended our flat tire problem. I was surprised how heavy the tires were. Cost about $35.

rmuell01
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I bought the green crap from HF, filled up my 2 wheeler tire (that was always going flat, tubeless) and its' not been a problem in a years time.

tdmidget
02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Tires are not filled with foam. They are filled with urethane which hardens to something very much like the old "Superball" toy.

Arcane
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
If you don't have success foam filling your own, flat free bike tires are available commercially. Here's just one site that has them for sale. http://www.bikemania.biz/Airless_No_Flat_Bicycle_Tires_s/173.htm

CCWKen
02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Info to save you the trouble:

As already mentioned, they don't use "foam". Years back, I tried the foam insulation in a can. Filled two front tires on the lawn tractor with the stuff. I let it set up for about two weeks before reinstalling. It worked for the first mowing. After that, the tires started looking low on air then eventually flat. I broke one of the tires down and discovered the "foam" had just broken up into what looked like sawdust and a few chunks. The foam won't hold up. The filling has to be solid urethane. I ended up replacing the tires filled with the correct urethane.

Bill McLeod
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
with this information the project is looking like a no go, It was sure good to ask before I got into it.
Thanks

mygrizzly1022
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi All

I have had very good results by simply putting an inner tub in the tubeless tire on all my small tires, lawn tractor, roto tiller, wheel barrow, and garden cart. No flat tires at all.

Regards Bert

BigMike782
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I used the rear wheels from a high wheeled lawn mower.....easy rolling,no flats to worry about and darn near free from the small engine shop.

elf
02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I thought this was going to be a howto thread on welding tires. I wondered what you were welding them to. :)

EVguru
02-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Years back, I tried the foam insulation in a can. Filled two front tires on the lawn tractor with the stuff. I let it set up for about two weeks before reinstalling. It worked for the first mowing. After that, the tires started looking low on air then eventually flat. I broke one of the tires down and discovered the "foam" had just broken up into what looked like sawdust and a few chunks. The foam won't hold up. The filling has to be solid urethane. I ended up replacing the tires filled with the correct urethane.

'Foam' covers an awful lot of different stuff!

You get foam on the sea, foam on your beer, foam on your coffee, foam in your office chair, foam in your walls, the list is almost endless.

Polyurethane foam is avilable in both ridgid and resiliant formulations. The former is usually of low stretgth and very friable.

I'm not familiar with a specific product for replacing the air in a tyre with resiliant foam, but I have seen a 'tyre mousse' being used.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-bib-mousse

They use them in WRC too, but I think they have to put them in a pressure chamber to compress them before fitting.

BigMike782
02-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought this was going to be a howto thread on welding tires. I wondered what you were welding them to. :)
If that had been the case the title would have been,
"Welding CART tires":D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indy_Racing_League
Also finding rubber filler rod or wire is kinda tough.

ahidley
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
You need rubber rods. Or you can use the endless roll of o-ring material for the MIG welder.:)

Forestgnome
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi All

I have had very good results by simply putting an inner tub in the tubeless tire on all my small tires, lawn tractor, roto tiller, wheel barrow, and garden cart. No flat tires at all.

Regards Bert

That's what I do.

BigMike782
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
You need rubber rods. Or you can use the endless roll of o-ring material for the MIG welder.:)
And guys think flux core welding makes smoke!