PDA

View Full Version : OK, tried the Canode blue

J Tiers
02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
First impressions are that it seems to dry out pretty fast, I'm used to the prussian, that basically never dries out....

I finished scraping a part using it, but it seemed like I used a lot of blue, as it kept drying out to where it wouldn't "refresh". I had to wipe it off (to keep from getting a buildup) and put on some more.

Also seemed "cruder" , I got the impression that it was not quite as sensitive as the prussian.

It's pretty dry here at the moment, maybe that speeds drying..... it IS water-based...

As with prussian, I used a "dauber", since I don't know where the roller is (put it somewhere after deciding I didn't like it for blue). A roller isn't the best for "inking up" the bevel of a straightedge anyway.

It DOES seem to wash off of *me* better....

And, I bet it photographs better.

lazlo
02-21-2012, 08:16 AM
First impressions are that it seems to dry out pretty fast,

It stayed wet for our 8 hour shifts in Arlington, but it does dry out over time in the bottle, sitting on the shelf. But I just add some distilled water, shake it up, and it's good as new.

J Tiers
02-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I should say that it does not dry to a "flaky" state, but dries to a "stiff sewer sludge" type consistency.

it still marks the work, but when it is not reasonably "pasty", one gets the idea that it may not give an accurate spotting. You wonder if it is doing some "gap filling".

lazlo
02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I should say that it does not dry to a "flaky" state, but dries to a "stiff sewer sludge" type consistency.

Sounds like you may be putting it on too thick. We would roll a reservoir on one section of the plate, and then when the roller was almost dry, roll a very, very thin sheet on the area we were going to use to spot. You can get an angstrom-thick spot that way...

If you decide to go back to the Prussian Blue, I've got a 3/4 full tube I'll send you. I'll never touch that stuff again. Makes you look like a smurf for days, and permanently stains the surface plate...

Tony
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
are there supposed to be any particular advantages to canode blue vs
prussian (apart from cleanup)? what made you change from the
prussian? or try the experiment anyway.

simple preference / curiosity?

lazlo: is the blue in your pictures canode? i assumed it was the
contrast medium that made the blue look nicer / easier to photograph.

Tony

lazlo
02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
are there supposed to be any particular advantages to canode blue vs prussian (apart from cleanup)?

For me, no -- it spots the same, costs the same. The huge advantage is that it cleans up with water. Prussian Blue might as well be a tattoo :)
But it's a personal choice: everyone has a different preference for spotting compound, ways to spread the compound, how to jiggle the piece your spotting... It's not rocket science.

lazlo: is the blue in your pictures canode? i assumed it was the
contrast medium that made the blue look nicer / easier to photograph.

Yep, that's blue canode. I occasionally do the contrast media, but it doesn't seem to help much (for me, anyway). I scraped that gauge block to ~ 50 points per inch with just blue, although you can see I experimented with yellow canode as contrast a couple of times.

Rich told us the contrasting media really helps if you have bad lighting. I can definitely see that.

TGTool
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM

it still marks the work, but when it is not reasonably "pasty", one gets the idea that it may not give an accurate spotting. You wonder if it is doing some "gap filling".

You can use a little water mist, rolled around with the roller or finger distributed to rejuvenate it and improve the consistency.

beckley23
02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
The first picture is of the "Wreck's" compound rest top spotted on a "dry" plate, actually the Canode was getting thin, and I still needed a few more cycles, the second picture is with more Canode added, which, IIRC, was enough to get me to the finish. It seems that the initial application lasts about 3-4 cycles before it has to be refreshed. As I got closer to the finish, I tried to work the edges of the Canode towards the central spotting area, which is very visible in the first picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/beckley23/e102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/beckley23/e103.jpg
Harry

J Tiers
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
It seems that the initial application lasts about 3-4 cycles before it has to be refreshed.

That's about what I am getting.... haven't tried re-wetting it. And what you have down looks like mine also, although it is at the moment on my short straightedge for dovetails, not the flat.

A reservoir at the side would be a big dry sludgy spot instead of a reservoir pretty soon..... it's very dry here, hand cracking dry.