PDA

View Full Version : Okay, another new guy question. 2 jaw chucks?

Buckshot
02-14-2004, 08:20 AM
......When I bought my 11" Powermatic. one of the chucks was a 2 Jaw Buck (missing it's topjaws BTW). The question obvious to me is just what kind of work is held in such a chuck? Maybe contained in that answer is what can you do with it? Ha! May be obvious to YOU guys ..........

As long as I'm asking chuck questions, here's another. One of the other chucks is a 3 jaw 8" Rohm. It's also missing it's top jaws. All it has on it is 3829, Forged Steel, and a button with: CHAS MCHRY, across the top with ROHM in the middle and then: Toledo, Ohio on the bottom.

I looked in the Airgas/Rutland catalog and nothing listed for a Rohm. Where is a good place to find top jaws for a Rohm chuck?

Rick

JCHannum
02-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Two jaw chucks are used to hold work that a three or four jaw chuck can't. Frequently, soft jaws are used, and are machined to hold the work.
The top jaws for the ROHM chuck are American Standard, and are available from most tool suppliers. The ROHM is a premium chuck, Travers lists them 8", plain back replaceable jaws is $1011.00.

G.A. Ewen
02-14-2004, 09:45 AM
You can try here for chuck jaws............

http://www.worldwidechuck.com/

crypto
02-14-2004, 12:26 PM
A two jaw chuck is usually used for quantity lots of pieces such as might be encountered in machining odd shaped castings. Or it can also be very useful for the odd shaped forging. I had to machine a 1937 Packard steering box recently, such a chuck with some accessory pieces welded onto the jaws would have been ideal for the job.

Paul Alciatore
02-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Couldn't a four jaw be used in place of a two jaw by simply removing two of the jaws?

Paul A.

yf
02-15-2004, 03:42 AM
4 jaw chucks usually have 1 piece solid jaws.
You don't want to weld or modify them as you can with replaceable top jaws on a 2 or 3 jaw.

Evan
02-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Yeah, I thought the same thing Paul. No, I don't want to weld or otherwise mess with my 4 jaw chuck jaws but it will "hold" with two jaws the same as a two jaw chuck. Faceplate???

Buckshot
02-15-2004, 06:19 AM
.........Thank you all, for the replies. Especially with the Rohm jaw question.

So the 2 jaw chuck could have aluminum, brass or soft steel jaws that are machined for a specific purpose (or like a poster mentioned) production repetative stuff?

Guess I'll clean it up and await the day a use for it pops up and I'll be set :-)!

..........Buckshot

Thrud
02-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Buckshot go to the site given by George
World Wide Chuck

You will be astounded by the styles and types of top jaws that you can purchase for your chucks. You may not realize this but these chucks can also nbe used in milling machines to hold parts. Soft jaws can be precisely machined to hold complex parts securely so that they can be milled or turned in a lathe.

It really is too bad that all four jaw chucks are not made with American Standard Pattern top jaws instead of the old fashioned step jaws. The new style jaws are so much more versatile and when they wear out, they are easily replaced.