PDA

View Full Version : question about ebay

Alistair Hosie
02-15-2004, 12:10 PM
How do you keep track of the minutes slipping away on ebay?
For example if the article I am watching shows 3 minutes it stays at three minutes and does not time down before mu eyes.
I have to keep closing it and re-openoing it surely I am doing something wrong.
I wan't to watch the last few minutes and seconds count down as I watch the any ideas Alistair

Fred White
02-15-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure it can be done.

When you go to a web site ( and eBay auction page, for example ), your computer downloads "a snapshot" of the page, puts it on your screen, disconnects from that web site, and then sits idle waiting for your next instruction. That is why the clock stays the same. When you refresh/reload the page, the computer goes back to the website for that page and takes another snapshot.

Since the page ( at their end ) has a clock image that continues to run, that is why the two snapshots are different.

If your computer stayed connected to their web page and kept receiving the continuously updated clock information, and so did everyone elses ( for whatever other reasons), the internet would grind to a halt.

AZSORT
02-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Try a service from Hammersnipe.com which, for a few times each month, will put in an automatic bid for you within the last 10 seconds of an auction. For a price they will do even better. You've probably wonder how other bidders have been out sniping you. I contend that sniping is unfair to sellers and EBAY should implement a "going-going-gone" feature where the bid stays open as long as someone has bid in the last minute or so. Until they do this you might as well join the automated snipers.

Mcruff
02-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Just keep hitting the refresh button, if you have a good dial up connection it should only take about 4 seconds to reload the page.

winchman
02-15-2004, 01:08 PM
You can use this link to get a running clock on your browser:
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

You can get the official eBay time here:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?TimeShow

Compare the two by having two browsers open and switch from one to the other. Once you know the difference between the official eBay time and the government time (if any), you can get the closing time of the auction, and know (almost) exactly when to place your bid. You might try the method on several auctions without placing a bid to verify your timing.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 02-15-2004).]

Alistair Hosie
02-15-2004, 01:13 PM
I doesn't take long to do this.
However a while ago a guy told me it could be done seems he was wrong.
I can't undestand it, I put a bid on an item, no one else bid.
With about a minute to go it tells me "sorry you have been outbid" so I am advised to put in an offer of £111.00 ,so i do that, it then tells me "incorrect bid" (it is what you advised idiot thinks I)which wastes more time.
Then I am advised to bid £123.00 which I do it comes up again "incorrect bid " minimum bid £140 by this time the sale is over grrrrrrrr oh well alistair's not a happy chappy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif thanks guys Alistair

ibewgypsie
02-15-2004, 02:10 PM
My wrist watch.. You are welcome to look over my shoulder..

HA... cable modems-dsl rules hit refresh..

I lost 3 auctions in the last 3 seconds last week.. hmm.. made me squish a beer can..

(gonna ride across country, knock on his door, break his index finger, get on harley and go home) Perhaps I should break his trigger finger too just in case? Aww hell I am too nice of a guy to do that. Its just fair game, I tried to get ebay to extend auctions after bids.

David

Alistair Hosie
02-15-2004, 03:17 PM
I know how you feel pal I sometimes think it's a set up.I dont know if I like the idea od sniping , still it costs a few percent of the selling price so I am tooo tight a$$ed to find our more http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

jim davies
02-15-2004, 04:38 PM
I got tired of being waltzed around and just went hammersnipe. The only hard part is coming up with a price that is best for you. Once you do, just forget about it. If you lose, well, there's always another time. If you win, you got a bargain. Don't forget that the bid is only advanced if necessary.

Jason J
02-15-2004, 04:54 PM
I think you guys have lost sight of the fact that eBay, like all auctions is a SCAM perpatrated by the auctioneer. Now sometimes fate conspires against the auctioneer and some deals are to be had. You do not "Win" and auction unless you get a good deal. "Winning" an auction by overpaying for an item is LOSING. Unless of course it is something that you just have to have. This is very seldom the case, however. Mostly it is just rubes getting taken to the cleaners. Sniping only works if you get a good deal. Sniping an item for more than its worth is the height of foolishness. Watch the clock run down and bid what you are willing to pay and forget about it. The "sniper" will only "Win" the item if he is willing to pay more for it than you are. If you let yourself get caught up in the heat of the moment you will get fleeced by the guys who are smart enought enough to get someone to "Shill" for them. Items that have one serious bidder go cheap; get two bidders and it often becomes a contest of stupidity. You are bidding against the seller in reality. GET A CLUE!!!

JCHannum
02-15-2004, 05:28 PM
If a seller lists an item at a realistic opening price, the final price you pay is determined by you and no one else. It is not a scam, and the use of shills is probably few and far between.
If a seller outbids his buyers, he loses. He does not get the sale and is out the listing and final bid fees. Hardly a good business tactic.
Sometime toward the end of the auction, post the most you are willing to pay for the item. If someone has a higher bid than you entered, they will get the item. If your bid is the highest, eBay will bid only the amount necessary to make you the high bidder, they will not bid your maximum unless it is necessary. There is no need to use snipers, eBay will do it for you for free.
I do agree that it would be much better if eBay kept an auction open as long as there was active bidding on the item. This is the way a live auction operates, and would stop the sniping.

Alistair Hosie
02-15-2004, 07:05 PM
My understanding is that you cannot bid on your own item.Alistair

JCHannum
02-15-2004, 07:41 PM
That is correct. A shill would have to be another person or entirely different identity bidding on an item expressly to increase the bid amount.

walkermaker
02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Ebay works as well as it does for buyers and sellers because it keeps a tight schedule. The fact that there are no calls for any final bids has several advantages for both the buyer and the seller. As has been said, it protects the buyer for being seduced into a final fast paced bidding war and ending up sorry about it later. It also protects the seller by keeping the biding audience to a maximum by guaranteeing a final auction time which buyers can either plan to attend (frequently in the middle of busy workday schedules), or arrange for "snipers." Keep in mind here that if closing times were not exact, "sniping" fees would probably skyrocket, and certainly the whole pace of eBay would be come totally confused. There are live auctions for tools on the Internet. Try being in one; it is a most time consuming and tedious process. For me, ebay's format rules!

wierdscience
02-15-2004, 09:51 PM
The way you refresh an auction page on ebay is you click refresh and hold down the shift key,that updates the page,otherwise it may take as much as ten minutes for the page to update itself,or at least thats the way it used to be.

Anyway not having the page refresh itself instantly is good if your bidding against another bidder,if you increase or place your bid in the last five minutes then the other bidder won't see it if you don't refresh the page until its too late.

If your up against a auction sniper,forget it,it can place bids two seconds apart until it reaches its limit.

Anyway,its like any other auction,set the maximum your willing to pay for an item and bid that,if you don't win it wait for the next one to go on the block.Plus shilling only works if they can promt you into bidding more than your limit.

chief
02-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Open the page and then click # of bids,
this will give you the accurate time each time you open it.

Thrud
02-16-2004, 06:09 AM
Jason
Obviously you are not a connoisseur of the finer things in life. Sometimes it is not about price and cost is not in the picture - you are too young to appreciate that. Sometimes it is just the thrill of the kill - having your enemies driven before you and crushed, the intimidation of their women, and the raping of their assets. Aah, the good life.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2004, 06:53 AM
I think having a fixed deadline is the best way, but there are people using an electronic form of last second sniping.
Are they always accurate?
In other words if someone signs up to a sniping scheme (which they pay a fee to) are they guaranteed to win if so it makes a nonsense of the last second bidding.I reckon the best way is to wait till the last few seconds and raise the bid by quite a bit ,not more than the article is worth but if the bids are goig at it two pounds at a time and you suddenly slip in an extra twenty buy the time the other guy is informed he must bid more ten times I e each time they inform him as they did with me sorry you must bid more you will have time barred him. Alistair

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Incidently what is the best way to advertise on E bay.
I advertised some things with a reserve if it does not sell it can get expensive. An item which did not sell three times cost me nearly £100 and I did not sell it this is not a good way to sell especially when you can advertise on the free pages here in the uk .
They added on quite a bit for the reserve.
I am not sure about advertising as things are very slow on ebay at the moment.
I notice one guy is selloing without a reserve says he has the right to remove article as its advertised elsewhere this is a way I think of resolving this problem advertise cheap without reserve then pull the article at the last minute and say it is sold elsewhere,it saves him all round.
At least that is what appears to be happening.
Surely e-bay should come up with a better way if your stuff does not sell.
It's true they offer a free second sale but this is only free if the article sells second time, if not as with me your lumbered with three costs for an article which did not sell.
I think there are times of the year when you could sell any old junk but other times when good stuff as now is not making a good or fair price Alistair

Michael Az
02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Alistar, do not use a reserve. As you found out, that is where the bigger cost comes in. Just list your auction with a starting bid that you will be happy recieving, and if it doesn't sell the ebay cost won't be so high. The problem with the seller that cancels his auctions is he misses out with the snipers Lots of items don't get bids till the last few seconds.What I do when I bid on an item is to wait till the very end and just bid one time, the most I am willing to go for the item. This way ebay is sniping for you at the end of the auction
Michael
Michael

Jason J
02-16-2004, 01:44 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrud:
Jason
Obviously you are not a connoisseur of the finer things in life. Sometimes it is not about price and cost is not in the picture - you are too young to appreciate that. Sometimes it is just the thrill of the kill - having your enemies driven before you and crushed, the intimidation of their women, and the raping of their assets. Aah, the good life.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

Very Funny! Just because you and I aren't stupid enough to buy into that doesn't mean that lots of eBay lame-os don't. So many of these auctions turn into that kind of pissing contest that I can't believe it. Most of these, I suspect, are ignited by shills. Anyone that thinks that does not happen deserves what ever they get. If you watch the bidding on a particular kind of item you will notice that when only one guy is interested they go for say $200. You, as the seller, know that it will bring $1,200 if 2 bidders start fighting over it. So you call up you buddy Joe and get him to bid on it for you. All of a sudden the bidding is up to $1,000, maybe higher. What happens if Joe screws up and "wins" the auction? You as the seller pay the eBay fees and you and Joe give each other glowing feedback. Then you list it again, (with different pictures if you are cagey) and say in the ad "the last one of these I had sold for $X,xxx". The eBay fee is a small price to pay for the likleyhood of getting an extra $800-$1,000.

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Michael that's sound advice thats what I will do in the future.
Trouble is I think a large start price seems off putting, and lots of people who do this seem to get left with stuff unsold, it seems like a vicious circle to me.
But I will try your method as it seems the best advice all round to date.
Thanks and keep your fingers crossed for me although I intend to wait till around mid march as people won't buy here so soon after christmas selling prices are deplorable at the moment.
I seen the guy with the saw has withdrawn it at the last minute.
The bids were too low, he had no reserve but simply took it off when the bidding stayed too low .
So it does seem a vicious circle.
Who wins at this?
Should he have stayed on and took the gamble even though he had no reserve?
Presumably to save the high e-bay reserve costs but what if someone like you was waiting till the last minute.
I have a friend who puts too high a reserve deliberately so that the people will contact him after the sale and he will sell them privately.
But he still (as I pointed out to him) has to pay the the high reserve charges to ebay so whats the point .Thanks again Micheal Alistair

Mark the spark
02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
What if there were 100 people all bidding on the same item using electronic sniping?
Mark...

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Mark thats exactly what I can't understand .
Even better what if two people, or even more, pay the sniping company to bid on the same item?
How do they fairly resolve that without taking the money from one or more people, knowing that they have no chance as only one can win? Alistair

wierdscience
02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
The sniper only gets paid if you win the item,if I read the rules right.Well even if there are a 100 people bidding with sniper the one who bids the highest still wins,and if you or I bid higher than anyone of them then we would win simple as that.
I don't know thw mechanics of how it all works but the high bid still wins regardless,unless there has been shilling going on,if the shiller were to outbid the highest legit bidder he could then decide to reject his own bid and pick the next highest.