PDA

View Full Version : Nice job lot

john11668
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Seems to be a bit of interest in this "job lot"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320849192099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Have a look particularly at the photosite link.

Bet there are a lot of dealers amongst the watchers
Last few minutes may be interesting

uncle pete
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
John,
There's a hell of a lot of tooling and equipment shown in his picture link. Possibly I'm being a bit picky? But some of his pictures also show a lack of understanding about properly keeping cutting tools and their cutting edges seperated. Without a good tool grinder for resharpening? A lot of that tooling will be in poor condition. There's a large amount of money tied up just in the cutting tools. The way some of them are stored is a real poor example. That alone would make me very conservitive about bidding on it even if I did live in the U.K.

Pete

aboard_epsilon
02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
on that lot i would have got to about 700 then stopped .

anyhows i don't do bid after bid ..

it would have been one bid to stop them taking it out down, (if there are no bids on it) at the lowest price and another bid in the last few seconds, if it hasn't gone past my target.

most goes past my target ......nothing like that on ebay that has a good description will interest me ......as it will always sell for more than I'm willing to pay .

all the best.markj

john11668
02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Fair comment on the sharp stuff!
Looks like they are in the sorted boxes that tend to turn up in local auctions. Looks like he has never laid hands on many of them. Doubt if he even knows what a lot of the stuff is!

Lots of imperial measuring gear and the lathe is imperial too , so not the greatest demand in UK.
Well tooled for a model engineer though with a full set, including milling slide and what looks like a clamping block for a die grinder made to suit the Boxford top slide mount. Lots of stuff that a model engineer clearly made for himself and (some of it ) pretty well made too.

I suspect this guy has probably got it all as a job lot, maybe a couple of lots would explain the duplication, and why he cant list it fully cos he would not know what to call much of it.

I think he would do much better if he had broken it into sensible batches and presented it better.
I do expect to see much of it on Ebay again cos there is bound to be an intrepid dealer who may want some of it , but knows which items he can make a buck on.

aboard_epsilon
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM
it's already gone way past what a dealer would pay for it ..

they were out of the game at 500.

at the price the lot is at now ...you can barely make money on it , if it was split up and sold separately.

the boxford is a basic one ..no screw cutting gearbox ..and no powered cross-slide for all i know.

all the best.markj

john11668
02-21-2012, 06:02 PM
It does have power cross feed but otherwise as you say basic old and imperial!

aboard_epsilon
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
my lathes imperial ...at first i wanted metric .

this one..imperial... came along at the right price ... after a few years, now i know a bit more.

imperial lathes go to metric screw cutting a lot easier than metric lathes go to imperial screw cutting ......and with the addition of a dro ...you are there.

a larger heavier tool room lathe with screw cutting is usually cheaper than a boxford without.

British shed size stuff usually costs too much.

all the best..markj

uncle pete
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
IMO? Nothing wrong at all with Imperial measurements. They were more than good enough for the Model Engineer magazine to use for the last hundred years. So it's more than good enough for me.

Pete

sasquatch
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Personally i like a woman measured in Imperial,,

The metric numbers scare me!!:D :eek: :eek:

john11668
02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
For anyone interested , went for 2650
As others have said far too much!
But I bet we see a lot of the stuff recycled though Ebay!

justanengineer
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Its ebay. The comment "far too much" usually applies IMHO.