PDA

View Full Version : Gorton Machine - subsidiary of Kearney & Trecker

vinito
02-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I did an ebay search for "Gorton" and a manual for the same mill as mine came up as a Kearney and Trecker (with mention of Gorton). The pictures showed Kearney and Trecker on the cover and it showed a page with a familiar picture of the mill.

So I dug out my manuals... sure enough. Mine has a different cover, but on the first page it reads "Gorton Machine Corporation - subsidiary of Kearney and Trecker".

Call me dense, call me a rookie, take two aspirin and call me in the morning, but I did not notice that before and I now I think I have a callous on my hand from slapping myself in the forehead. Maybe I'll need the aspirin.

I guess there might be more folks to share information with than I originally thought.

I've had this mill for six months and I am just now beginning to look at it.

p.s. My mill's model number is 1-22 (Mastermil with one L). I plan to make the manuals and schematics available on the yahoo group eventually for anyone who might need them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gortonmill/

Vinito

Spin Doctor
02-17-2004, 06:25 PM
K&T bought up the remains of Gorton when they went under around '79 or so. And then G&L scraped the remains of K&T when they bit the big one. At least it all remained in state. Gortons pantographs were being manufacured by Famco in Kenosha Wisconsin. Whether they are still building them I don't know but the last time I looked at their web site they where. just checked and they do as of now along with the Lars cutter grinders. Who says nobody builds machinery in the US anymore