PDA

View Full Version : CAM Machining Strategy Question

pressurerelief
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I have part that I want to make that is bigger than my machines X travel. It really would be alot easier to do with CAD/CAM than trying to freehand it. It is a series of related holes and pockets. I already have it drawn and am almost ready to post it. What strategy would be easiest, do the cam in two parts and realign after the first run, do as much as the work envelope allows and freehand the rest? Looking for suggestions.

P/R

Michael Moore
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
do the cam in two parts and realign after the first run

That's the way I've done it. After you align the first time can you clamp a bar on the table along a straight edge so the part will keep the same coordinate system? Then you can locate a just-machined feature and index from that.

cheers,
Michael

legendboy
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Why not just write 2 programs?

Run first program, move part, re define part program zero and run second program

Weston Bye
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Can you design a few extra locator holes into the part? Make up a fixture plate that the part rests on with locator dowels. Machine the first setup, machining the holes for the next setup, in the process. Then transfer the part with the newly-machined holes placed over the dowels.

pressurerelief
02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
I basically did what a couple of you suggested. Drew it in two pieces and used locating dowels on the subplate to reference the move. I was wondering if someone had a better way to do it that I was not aware of. Thanks for the replies.

P/R

macona
02-28-2012, 06:21 AM
I had a wooden boat hull that I needed to machine out of Koa. It was about 2" longer than the travel of my X axis. I made a wooden plate that bolted down to the table. The Tool path was created in two halves. Did one end, loosened the bolts and slid it over to do the other end.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/Supermax%20CNC/DSC03282.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/Supermax%20CNC/DSC03287.jpg

Steve Seebold
03-19-2012, 05:31 AM
I would do it as 2 parts. Run the first part from a known corner. Then move your part to do the other half. Move your part origin to a known hole and call that hole part zero. Make your second program from that point.