PDA

View Full Version : cam programs and holes?

JEZX
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
i have some cad /cam programs ,( older ones) just wondering is there any that will use a g2 /g3 type code for round holes and shapes ... that dont cost alot ?. the programs i have just do lines or radial or spiral for the whole thing . bobcad21 is a program i have but never use for that reason .aswell as some cheap cadcam programs . ( ive only been doing cnc for 7 months so lots i dont know)

i have writen out all my codes by hand for almost everthing( except engraving) for the past 6 month
i hate the idea of haveing 100000-200000+ lines of code (and does a poor job) for a project that takes 100lines of code when i write it out and it always looks nice .
i dont make anything really complex , gun barrel bands ,sights , and simple 3d parts . i figure a program should figure holes and curves out .
any suggestion ?

macona
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Bobcad does not use g2 and g3?

Try cut2d

pressurerelief
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I use VCarve Pro, the big brother I guess of cut 2D. Simple enough that I could produce GCode within an hour of installing it. Kind of like an iphone, it works logically and is simple to use.

SkyMoCo
03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I use SheetCam, it can do anything those more expensive CAM programs can do and more.

Most any of them will give you a free download where you can try it out.

JEZX
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
v carve . sheet cam ?? do they actully do circles or is it all the same old back and forth / up and down .
i have bobcad 21 but never tried 2d cut ... should it do circular cuts ?

Steve Seebold
03-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I have BobCad 23, and it too is a real piece of crap, so I'm stuck using the GibbsCam I bought when I had my shop.

RayMJr
05-26-2012, 12:05 PM
I use BobCad v23 & v24.
My controller is EMC2 (LinuxCNC).
I needed to go into the post processor and customize it to work correctly with the controller. In doing so, I learned allot about how the process works, and am now able to quickly troubleshoot problems when they occur.

Before EMC2, I was using a Bandit controller (mid 1970's era), which the post processor from BobCAD was very simple (used very few g-codes), so most of my education was on modifying it to use more of the available commands on the Bandit.

Ray

isaac338
01-07-2013, 12:41 AM
v carve . sheet cam ?? do they actully do circles or is it all the same old back and forth / up and down .
i have bobcad 21 but never tried 2d cut ... should it do circular cuts ?

Bobcad uses g2/g3 on my machine - you're likely using the wrong post.

robosilo
01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Bobcad does G2 and G3. It doesn't always use it though when doing 3D roughing. But for cutting circles and 2D contours it uses G2/G3.

I use Bobcad and am happy enough with it. Is it the best? No. Is it affordable? yes. Does it get the job done? yes. But so do many other
CAD/CAMS. Spending the time to set the post processor to work for your machine can sometimes be a daunting task. As can learning new software. So download some demos, watch some youtube reviews/demos and inquire to the software companies and see what their software can do you you. Make them work for your money instead of just taking it.

JEZX
01-12-2013, 07:29 AM
ive actully got bobcad v24 , a much much better layout and result then the v19 .the v24 3d does exactly what i was looking for . every so often it messes up a lil ... but that could be me since im pretty new . im trying to find some mastercad,cam x4 and learn it but seems bobadv24 is almost as easy as it gets .