PDA

View Full Version : Sprutcam

pressurerelief
03-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Does anybody use Sprutcam? I see now that Tormach is the US dealer for the program. I have a Tormach mill running Mach 3 and see advertising popping up as well as youtube how to videos.

Second question, what does everyone use for CAM? Do you like what you have? I have Alibre from one of the deals they ran for the CAD side of things.

P/R

Wirecutter
03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes. Sending you a PM.

-M

MikeHenry
03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I also have a Tormach mill (PCNC 1100) with Alibre and SprutCAM. I'd bought Alibre several years before the mill and SprutCAM with the mill.

SprutCAM is my firs CAM software and it took me quite a while to get comfortable with it. I think it would be a lot easier now since SC 7 has been released and with the minor updates they've made, but especially with the tutorials that are available by SprutCAM America and the UK Sprut reseller. Most of them are available on YouTube as uploads by TormachLLC and Dukes4Monny.

For the money it is hard to find a more fully featured CAM application, especially if you get the all tools version which can be used with any CNC machine tool.

Mike

wbleeker
03-04-2012, 02:25 AM
I got Sprutcam with my Tormach also, and think it is great value for the money when you compare it with the other CAM programs that are available.
I am only just getting into using it and think it would be easier for me to learn if there was a text file with tutorials that I could print out and work through (maybe there is and I haven't found it) I find that with videos you cant re-read a bit that you don't quite understand, also sometimes with the videos it appears that the presenter assumes that the viewer knows more than he/she actually does about using the software.
Will

MikeHenry
03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I started making a lot more progress with SprutCAM after I subscribed to the UK Sprut web site, which gave me fee-based access to Dave's tutorials (at UK Sprut). He covered the basics well enough to get me started and at least able to make simple 2-1/2D parts on a routine basis. Tormach's video tutorials weren't available then, though, and I think they'd be enough to get me going now, especially with Eric at Tormach available to answer questions.

Here is that UK web site, if you want to explore the option:

http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/Support/index.php?app=subscriptions

It looks like you can get 1 month of access to the tutorials there for 30 UK pounds or a year for 125 UK pounds.

Mike

Wirecutter
03-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I got Sprutcam with my Tormach also, and think it is great value for the money when you compare it with the other CAM programs that are available.
I am only just getting into using it and think it would be easier for me to learn if there was a text file with tutorials that I could print out and work through (maybe there is and I haven't found it) I find that with videos you cant re-read a bit that you don't quite understand, also sometimes with the videos it appears that the presenter assumes that the viewer knows more than he/she actually does about using the software.
Will

I have a Tormach, Alibre, and SprutCam. I think we'd all have an easier time learning SprutCam if the help files were a bit better. Apparently, Sprut originated in Russia, as did the help files. The translation to English leaves a lot to be desired, and I simply can't use them. I wind up more confused after reading them, rather than less.

I have coworkers that have learned Russian, and other coworkers that are native speakers. Apparently, one of the quirks of the Russian language is that, in a sentence, word order is much less important than in say, English. This makes for some interesting grammar, I suppose. (The information conveyed by word order in English is imparted in other ways in Russian.) When discussing this with a native-Russian speaking colleague, he (perhaps half-jokingly) asserted that it's very difficult to write instructional or tutorial documentation in Russian because of the grammar.

Anyway, back to Sprutcam... I noticed the same thing about the tutorial videos - that they assume knowledge that I just don't have. Yet. I'm reassured to hear that I'm not the only one. I did have some luck by pausing the videos a lot and trying to duplicate what the guy was doing, and by just slowing them down and replaying them. Other than that, I just need to spend some hours in the seat until I get the hang of it.

-M