PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat...CNC Mill

Toolguy
03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Just got around to getting the Shop Wench to show me how to post pictures.
This is my latest addition. I got it right before Christmas of 2010. It is a Milltronics MB11 3-axis CNC mill. It's a Bridgeport on steroids. It is my main prototype mill now. The xyz is 24 x 12 x 20.
It is the same one they bought new for me at the last place I worked in the toolroom. There were 6 toolmakers and everyone had their own BP.
They needed to make things that needed a CNC to make but no one else wanted to run a CNC but me. This one is super easy to program and run.
I already had my other one at home and it was working out really well so they let me spec out this one. I ran it for a few years, then went full time at home. This one sat unused for a few more years until they shipped all the production to Mexico and sold off the toolroom machinery at auction. I went to the auction and bought it for $6250. I'm pretty sure that is the best machine deal I'll ever get.
It still looks and works like new. All the programs, spare parts and tooling are interchangeable with my other CNC.

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/DSCF1155.jpg

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/DSCF1156.jpg

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/DSCF1158.jpg

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/DSCF1157.jpg

HSS
03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Sweet score, Toolguy. Some day I may be so lucky. Everything I end up with needs to be worked on. Oh well, some days you're the dog and some days you're the fireplug.

Pat

RancherBill
03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
That is a great deal, worthy of a double gloat.

moldmonkey
03-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah that was a good deal. I bid on it but didn't have quite enough budget.:mad:

wierdscience
03-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Nice machine!

tyrone shewlaces
03-04-2012, 11:41 PM
This one is super easy to program and run.

Yes it is. I always liked how the Milltronics controls worked. They are kind of a seamless G-code/conversational/parametric interpreter. Probably not the nicest CNC out there if money is no object, but they are a pleasure to use in my opinion.

Nice score.

flylo
03-05-2012, 12:27 AM
It's not a real gloat until someone posts."YOU SUCK". There your all set, your welcome & nice mill.:D

Jim Shaper
03-05-2012, 12:52 AM
I got my partner 1 for a grand and all it needed was the servo's to be cleaned out of brush dust, but your's is a lot prettier. :D

Kind of ironic how you bought your machine twice.

tyrone shewlaces
03-05-2012, 01:13 AM
I just noticed the hand-drawn XYZ arrows on the head. Though good intentioned, those never seem to help because folks always go back & forth in their head between table motion and tool "motion" in relation to the table. Z works because the tool moves instead of the table so there is no translation.

Not picking on anybody, it just gave me a giggle and I didn't notice it at first. By "folks" I mean guys I've trained as well as myself. I seem to do better just getting familiar with things and as soon as I do, I look at the little picture and get all discombobulated, wiggle a knob and promptly chip a cutter. I'd have to slap a post-it over the "aid" to keep from screwing up.

Black Forest
03-05-2012, 01:13 AM
May I have your old one?

macona
03-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Ooo. Nice toy.

A friend has a VMC with the same control on it. I would love to put one on my mill.

Jim Shaper
03-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Jerry, you can if you wanted to. Milltronics will sell the control outright. ;)

I've been at the factory (it's about an hour from me). They're good people.

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
May I have your old one?

Sure - if you come pick it up. I doubt if you're that strong though, it weighs 3 tons.:D

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
This is the other one, MB18. The xyz on it is 30 x 18 x 24. I bought it new in 2001. The other one is a 2001 also, with a lot less miles. Both work flawlessly and do everything I ask of them. The only downtime has been to replace spindle bearings a couple of times over 10 years and new drawbars when the threads get worn out.
And a picture of me gloating.:)

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/DSCF1160.jpg

http://www.protocalldesign.info/photos/Home_Shop_Machinist/Tool_gloats/Milltronics/WarrenMoore.jpg

Black Forest
03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
If ever there was a sh!t eating grin that is one there and well deserved. What if I bring a whole bunch of my machine tool groupies?

What if I bring a crane can I still come?

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
OK - Bring me the girls and you can have the mill!:D

Black Forest
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
OK, Deal! I will send over this bunch of Swiss ladies. Here they are in this picture lined up ready to go for a ride in my sheep shearing machine.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/swisssheep.jpg

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Yep - I remember that one! They are sweethearts! Did you ever find a buyer for the bright red wool? :p It's great that you can show all those girls a good time. They will have fond memories of fun and horses long after they leave the farm.;)

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
It's not a real gloat until someone posts."YOU SUCK". There your all set, your welcome & nice mill.:D

Thanks for making it official!:)

Toolguy
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I just noticed the hand-drawn XYZ arrows on the head. Though good intentioned, those never seem to help because folks always go back & forth in their head between table motion and tool "motion" in relation to the table. Z works because the tool moves instead of the table so there is no translation.

Not picking on anybody, it just gave me a giggle and I didn't notice it at first. By "folks" I mean guys I've trained as well as myself. I seem to do better just getting familiar with things and as soon as I do, I look at the little picture and get all discombobulated, wiggle a knob and promptly chip a cutter. I'd have to slap a post-it over the "aid" to keep from screwing up.

You got a sharp eye TS! I drew that on there for myself. I've run those for so long it's automatic, I just know which way is what. I went the wrong way a few times in the beginning though!:eek:

macona
03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Jerry, you can if you wanted to. Milltronics will sell the control outright. ;)

I've been at the factory (it's about an hour from me). They're good people.

Thats what I thought. A friend who used to work there bought a refurbed Cent 7 Mill and a Cent 7 lathe control. I posted over on PM when someone was looking at upgrading their control. They contacted Milltronics and they said they no longer sold their controls outright. They gave him contact info for a third part installer though.

Jim Shaper
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
That must be a recent development with the new controls they have with linux base. A year ago, I was there and they'd sell you a turn key upgrade. I've thought about doing it with my nakamura TMC3.

lazlo
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
You suck :)

It's a Bridgeport on steroids. It is my main prototype mill now.

That looks like a bed mill?

Toolguy
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
You're right - it is a bed mill. What I meant to say is it's LIKE a BP on steroids. It has a Bridgeport type head so you can use the quill and the power downfeed to bore and R8 spindle. It is also easy to use manually like a BP. About a third of the stuff I do on it is manual with no programming. Using it that way is like a BP with 3 axis DRO. A regular Bridgeport is a knee mill, not a bed mill.
What I was saying is that this is like a super upgraded version of a BP. I ran manual Bridgeports for over 20 years and always wished for something more like this one. I don't miss cranking that knee up and down at all.:D