PDA

View Full Version : "This thread has gone on for 6 pages" and other mythical statements....

J Tiers
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I often see statements of how many pages a thread has "gone on and on for"....... while I am still on the first page, since I allow more posts per page (it's a setting, folks, you can choose it).

While you are free to have the minimum number per page, if you think that is better/easier/whatever........ It is good to remember that not everyone limits the pages to a small number of posts.........

A "page of posts" is not a constant number for all, so your "crazy tiresome 10 pages of posts" may be only a couple pages for others....... although the number of posts is clearly the same, of course.

You may choose anything from 5 or 10 to 40 posts per page if you get tired of clicking to change pages........

I recommend 40, it makes it very easy to bypass posts that you don't want to read.....

OK, I lied.... there ARE no "other mythical statements".....

Carld
03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
And some don't see all the posts because they have blocked some members posts so they may loose the continuity of the thread.

gwilson
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
True,Tiers. I did forget about the settings.

Davo J
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I often see those statements about pages as well, some people don't know those settings are there, hopefully this will let the current members reading know about it.
As for blocking or ignoring people, I don't see any point in it, as said it will leave a gap in the thread. If you don't want to read someones reply, don't read it, but some times you need to read at least some of it, otherwise other replies after it might not make sense.
Lets face it, in real life we have to talk to people we don't like, you just act mature about it and move on.

Dave

Toxic
03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks..i didnt realise that was an option.

Willy
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Here's another option that many don't seem to realize is available to all.

Rather than whine about a thread being too many pages/posts too long, why not just skip the thread completely if it does not entertain, amuse, or enlighten you?
No sense making it longer yet by complaining it's too long. You are all in the driver's seat. Take a turn or stop whenever you wish.:)

gwilson
03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Everything about branding a worthless thread as such is "whining" to you? The truth is,you guys could go on for 500 posts and never agree what the truth is. And THAT is the truth. I have seen it dozens of times,especially in theoretical posts about sharpening tools,for example.

I don't CARE if the metal is cutting or tearing,as long as it comes off the way I WANT it to. I'm not some penny pinching factory,and neither are most home shop operations,let's face it.

I am pretty good at not wearing my cutters out. I don't do long runs of identical parts. I don't cut exotic alloys. And neither do 99.9% of you. If you do,go post in the PM forum. Milacron is a helluva more tolerant than most of you seem to think he is,and the forum is a lot more friendly.

Evan
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
The best setting depends on your connection speed and on any possible traffic limits you may have. While it doesn't matter for most people reloading pages that have changed to check new posts can eat bandwidth allowance. I set mine to 20 as a compromise between having to change pages too often and slowing down the load time too much. I also have a low allowance per day of only 425 megabytes. Satellite sucks.

Willy
03-06-2012, 12:34 AM
You know George in all honesty my last post wasn't directed to you or anyone in particular, just everyone in general.
Hell I had not even read past page one of the "Does Carbide Cut or Tear Metal?" thread until just now! After I posted here.

I had not given it any significance to anyone until now. Let's face it hardly a day goes by when someone doesn't complain about a thread carrying on for way to long. My reply was meant to address those in general that complain rather than abstain.

Don't take this stuff so seriously. We're here to enjoy ourselves and to learn. All one can do is put his opinion on the table and walk away. Anyone here who thinks that he is going to change minds and convince those that do not adhere to one's philosophy is a fool. Time and experience will usually shed light on the truth and vindicate those that are right.

We have only the words typed here to convey our thoughts, no physical way to show or express what we mean. Sometimes details get lost in semantics or our lack of ability to master the delicate balance of thoughts inherent to the English language.

Half of this BS would never occur if we were situated across the table of those we conversed with.
Well maybe in a bar.:D

Black_Moons
03-06-2012, 02:40 AM
If you don't like long threads, just don't click the ones that say they are on page 10+?

I mean, its pertty simple, there is usally only 1 or 2 outta the many threads on the first page that are that long..

philbur
03-06-2012, 04:25 AM
I don't CARE if the metal is cutting or tearing,as long as it comes off the way I WANT it to.

Does this mean that you do CARE if the metal is cutting or tearing, when it DOESN'T come off the way you WANT? It would possibly be more constructive if you were to say what you do and why when it doesn't?

Phil:)

Black Forest
03-06-2012, 05:04 AM
OK, everyone take their respective medications and we will meet again tomorrow.

kendall
03-06-2012, 05:38 AM
The best setting depends on your connection speed and on any possible traffic limits you may have. While it doesn't matter for most people reloading pages that have changed to check new posts can eat bandwidth allowance. I set mine to 20 as a compromise between having to change pages too often and slowing down the load time too much. I also have a low allowance per day of only 425 megabytes. Satellite sucks.

Wouldn't loading more posts per page actually reduce bandwidth used by only loading the 'junk' above and below the actual posts once?

I assume you'd be running adblock and flashblock, etc, and mean actual page itself above and below the posts

Carld
03-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Aw Geez, where are those damn pill bottles. They were here a few months ago.:confused:

wendtmk
03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Reminds me of some folks who join mailing lists, and then complain they're getting too many emails from the list. :D

Mark

JCHannum
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I frequent very few forums, but on those I do, I go to the User CP or equivalent and select posts per page and turn off all features such as avatars, signature lines and show images.

This not only speeds page loading, it has the added benefit of freeing me from all of the inane avatars and signature lines and having to scroll through myriad photos and links that serve no purpose whatever. If you have seen a photo once, there is no purpose to see it again or wait while the page reloads with a zillion photos of what someone else feels is pertinent to the discussion.

J Tiers
03-07-2012, 01:02 AM
JC....

You reminded me of a pet peeve......

Folks quoting the entire post, pics included.............. THAT really does clobber the bandwidth..... And it happens not once, but 4 or 5 times in some threads.

I mean, I know I have hit submit a few times and then seen that I forgot to edit out pics in quotes, but its easy to fix on most forums.

dp
03-07-2012, 02:44 AM
JC....

You reminded me of a pet peeve......

Folks quoting the entire post, pics included.............. THAT really does clobber the bandwidth..... And it happens not once, but 4 or 5 times in some threads.

I mean, I know I have hit submit a few times and then seen that I forgot to edit out pics in quotes, but its easy to fix on most forums.

I can't believe this thread is already at two pages.

RancherBill
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM

I 100% agree. The other thing about pictures is that most of the pictures are huge, many exceed 2 megabytes in size. What therefore happens is the OP puts 5 pictures in, and they show up 4 or 5 more times to a total of 60 meg.

What I have done is go to User Control Panel and turn of displaying pics. If a pic interest me I can still see it if I want.