PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Shameless Tool Gloat.

gnm109
03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Having lurked around here for a while and having seen all of the tasty tools that some of you manage to come up with to make me envious, I don't feel bad about showing this one to you all.

About two weeks ago, my friend and I went to a machinery company to buy a new chuck for his Mori Seiki CNC lathe. While we were there, I spotted a nice carbide/hss tool grinder on a pallet in the back room. I got distracted and forgot to look closely at it.

Last week, I remembered it and called the shop and discussed the grinder. I was able to make a deal that made me the new owner for a price about the same as a Harbor Freight version. Since the dealer didn't want to crate it and ship it, I drove the 200 mile round yesterday trip to collect it and was pleasantly surprised when I got a good look at it. It's virtually new! It also weighs close to 100 pounds. The stones are nearly unused. While it has no brand name, it's marked as a Carbide Grinder and is made in Taiwan.

It's got 6" stones, white on one side and dark gray-greeen on the other. It's designed to run wet and has a water reservoir cup with an adjustable drain valve to drip on the tool as you grind. There are water collection trays under each stone and it has guide rails and two adjustable guides, one for each table., The speed is 3,450 @10 amps - 1/2 hp, single phase and the tables will move 45 degrees or so. It's very, very smooth and quiet as well.

I've been looking for one of these for a long time. I'm more into HSS these days than cardibe inserts so this will be a good addition to my tool collection. I'm a happy dude. :D

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/Grinder001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/gnm109/Machinery/Grinder002.jpg

Danl
03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Wow... nice find. I've been waiting since December for the price on the Horrible Freight versions to come on sale....:confused:

sasquatch
03-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Congrats on the find Gnm109!!

gnm109
03-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Congrats on the find Gnm109!!

I've been looking for a long time for one of those. I looked for nearly ten years for my Taiwanese Webb Mill. I think the best values are found in Taiwanese machinery, given that decent American machines are so tough to find.

I would much prefer to be able to buy all American like Bridgeport and Logan or Monarch, but the ones I've seen were always out of reach.

Thanks. :)

Toolguy
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Congrats! You will get a lot of use out of that one!:D
Just to make it official - YOU SUCK!

gnm109
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Congrats! You will get a lot of use out of that one!:D
Just to make it official - YOU SUCK!

Thanks, LOL. That makes me feel like one of the guys. Under my other pen name on PM, someone just called a an f*****g idiot. It made me feel accepted. Keep up the praise! :D

Redirish
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
It's obviously a piece of trash. Where are you located? I will be glad to take it off your hands to save you from embarassment.:rolleyes:

rvjwelch
03-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Great find. I see short guides on the table with slot. Has anyone come up with ways to sharpen shorter tools that do not reach from the end of the adjustable guide to the wheel?
Bob

gnm109
03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
It's obviously a piece of trash. Where are you located? I will be glad to take it off your hands to save you from embarassment.:rolleyes:

Sure, no problem. Oh, sorry, I forgot my address. I hate when that happens. I'll have to limp along with the durn thing. :p

tdmidget
03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Now you just need to remove the "stones" and put on some wheels.

gnm109
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Now you just need to remove the "stones" and put on some wheels.

Yuk, yuk. Right. :)

Nightshift
04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Nice find indeed gnm109. These are not often for sale. I'm not sure why, but I have 2 of them ... both 6". One is a older (1966) Rockwell Delta with 3M diamond wheels on it which came on a Rockwell cast iron pedestal I bought years ago. Then about a month ago I stumbled across a local guy with an almost brand new Baldor with new wheels. He offered it to me for a price I couldn't refuse, so now I have two. I should probably sell one of them as I surely can't use both. Bill

Danl
04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
And I've been waiting for 3 months for the Horrible Freight version to come back on sale so I can modify it into something decent!!! sheesh

Dr Stan
04-04-2012, 12:43 AM
And I've been waiting for 3 months for the Horrible Freight version to come back on sale so I can modify it into something decent!!! sheesh

Guess I shouldn't tell you I bought my brand new Baldor 6" tool grinder for half price, making it about the same as a HF kit version. :D

gnm109
04-04-2012, 02:57 AM
Nice find indeed gnm109. These are not often for sale. I'm not sure why, but I have 2 of them ... both 6". One is a older (1966) Rockwell Delta with 3M diamond wheels on it which came on a Rockwell cast iron pedestal I bought years ago. Then about a month ago I stumbled across a local guy with an almost brand new Baldor with new wheels. He offered it to me for a price I couldn't refuse, so now I have two. I should probably sell one of them as I surely can't use both. Bill

Since finding the grinder, I've done a bit more research. I visited my friend who has the original of my Taiwanese copy. He's got a Baldor 530. It's a 3 phase version. My unit is a virtual clone of the Baldor, except mine is 120VAC single phase, which would be a copy of the Baldor 510.

The Baldor 510/530's list at $1,296 and I've seen them discounted at about $900. Mine is the next best thing for far less money. A Baldor would be out of the question for me.

The H.F. version is a valiant attempt at copying the Baldor. If you could get one at a discounted price with a coupon, you would be OK with a bit of work. I think that there are articles on bringing the H.F. unit up to snuff on the internet.

My friend also had a spare diamond dresser with a 7/16-20 shaft on it which he donated to the cause. It's from an old Sioux valve refacer. That's a good thing to have for an occasional dressing of the stones.

Yes, you surely won't need two grinders. They sell very well on the internet.

http://www.baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&page=3&catalogonly=1&catalog=510&product=Grinders%2FBuffers&family=All+Families%7Cvw_GrindBuff

Danl
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Guess I shouldn't tell you I bought my brand new Baldor 6" tool grinder for half price, making it about the same as a HF kit version. :D

ARRRGGHHH...... !!!