PDA

View Full Version : OT - Washing machine recommendation?

DICKEYBIRD
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
On top of everything else, our Maytag started acting up yesterday. It doesn't agitate, just turns one direction and takes forever for the tub to stop spinning at the end of the spin cycle. Classic worn out brake lining symptoms. I could buy the parts & fix it myself if I had more time & gumption but I don't.

I bought this one because it's pretty simple & has a belt drive. No powerful built-in computer or USB/bluetooth/cloud/WiFi or whatever they put in 'em these days.:rolleyes: I've easily fixed the 2 minor problems it's had in the 15 yrs. we've owned it.

Is there anything available like that nowadays? Old school, simple-minded, reliable, easy to fix? :)

crrmeyer
03-12-2012, 10:05 AM
One word: Speed Queen

They are really known for their industrial and coin operated washers, but they also have a residential line of products.

I cannot say enough good things about them. The top loads are truely simple, built like a tank, and work well. If they every need service, they are designed to be serviced from the front. It is very smooth running and I have never seen it with an out of ballance problem. They also spin really fast so your clothes come out drier. The internal basket is stainless steel. The top two models have a really slow speed mode which is nice for delicate stuff.

They do not sell them at Home Depot, etc. Only independent appliance dealers.

Link:
http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us/products.aspx

But they do not advertise. If you look on Youtube, there are customer videos praising their Speed Queen washing machines.

blowlamp
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
LG Direct Drive - no drive belts or motor brushes to wear out as the drum is also a 3phase motor :) and whisper quiet.

We've had one for about seven years with zero problems.

Martin.

J.Ramsey
03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Pull the fabric softener dispenser and cover plate out of the agitator, down in the bottom there will be a bolt with a 7/16" head, remove the bolt and pull the agitator up and out you will see the ratchet assy.

There will be 4 replaceable plastic pawls,they get gummed up with softener/soap and it makes the teeth slip then strip,last time I replaced mine they cost about a $1 a piece at local appliance store.

DICKEYBIRD
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Pull the fabric softener dispenser and cover plate out of the agitator, down in the bottom there will be a bolt with a 7/16" head, remove the bolt and pull the agitator up and out you will see the ratchet assy.

There will be 4 replaceable plastic pawls,they get gummed up with softener/soap and it makes the teeth slip then strip,last time I replaced mine they cost about a $1 a piece at local appliance store.Thanks J, now we're talking! I was fooling around with it yesterday and got down to that bolt but it didn't break loose easily and I stopped. Isn't that a reverse thread?

J.Ramsey
03-12-2012, 10:46 AM
RH thread.

EVguru
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
If you end up needing to buy a replacement, then consider a Staber.

http://www.staber.com/

Dr Stan
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
+1 on Speed Queen and I'll also plug Whirlpool & Maytag. Unfortunately virtually all of the new appliances are computer controlled and that is the part that fails first. :(

When we bought our house 5 years ago we shopped around and bought new Kenmore appliances. Frig, washer & dryer, gas stove, and dishwasher. I've had to replace the ice maker in the frig twice. Apparently it was a bad design.

The dishwasher's computer failed so I replaced it with an Amana about 6 months ago. I had an appliance serviceman over to confirm my suspicions about the computer so I picked his brain about the quality of brands of appliances. He told me to steer clear of Kenmore as they are now made by LG. His recommendations were Whirlpool and its related brands such as Amana and Kitchenaid along with Maytag. Electrolux is also very good, but also quite pricey.

Hope Ramsey's repair suggestion works out.

Our first washer & dryer set was a front load commercial grade White Westinghouse, just like the ones used in a laundromat. They were still going strong 25 years later when we sold them as part of a move. Kicked myself ever since for getting rid of them.

wierdscience
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Whirlpool/Kenmore the large capacity plain vanilla model with the mechanical timer/knobs dam near bullet proof IME.

Dr Stan
03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Whirlpool/Kenmore the large capacity plain vanilla model with the mechanical timer/knobs dam near bullet proof IME.

Need to scratch Kenmore as it is no longer built by Whirlpool. They entered into a contract with LG.:(

T.Hoffman
03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
My mother is still using her 40+yr old Maytag, never a problem.

I bought 'non-fancy' normal top-load Maytag 9yrs ago, never a problem.
I had no need for 20 different modes of washing, so the plain jane model was what I went with.

I can't comment on any other brand as Maytags are all I've ever used.

DFMiller
03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Don't buy a Maytag.
They are now CRAP!!! We had to replace our less than 5years old as the transmission was toast. The parts cost equalled the replacement machine and parts repairs have no warranty. Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool and they have hung all previous customers out to dry.

Now if it's an older Maytag put money into it and repair it. They are good. The new stuff by design is only gonna last 5 years. Our old Kenmore dryer is pushing 30 years and still going strong. Just a few rollers every 15 years. I wish we were able to have kept the matching washer but the drum broke away from the hub abou 5years ago.

ikdor
03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
As European brands are different I'll spare you the brands but I do have some remarks:

Do get direct drive, the machine is incredibly quiet until the spin cycle. (which is also more quiet than a normal one)
Make sure you can actually get a good grip on the selection knob, mine is smooth with a few small dimples. Don't know what the designers were smoking there.
Don't get tricked into a user interface with digital screen and function keys. It'll take you five minutes to select a program instead of half a second. Once again designed by people who don't do laundry.
Think about getting one with hot-fill if you have a solar collector.
Max spin cycle speed is related to time in dryer afterwards. Google for some data as there are diminishing returns whereas prices shoot up with higher speed. (force goes up with the square of speed)

Igor

aboard_epsilon
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
There are only two domestic manufacturers in Europe that state that their machines are capable of lasting beyond 10 years

those two are

Miele and ISE

if you can get one of those in the USA ..get one.

All the best.markj

vpt
03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I believe we have amanas, they are old but I keep them working. I had to put a new belt on the washing machine this year, the old one looked like the original belt off my 1942 atlas lathe when I got it.

lakeside53
03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I have an Asko (Swedish) washer and dryer from 1994. I've fixed a few things over the years but they are still going strong, and get used every day.

The washer has a 3 phase motor for variable speed and poly-vee belt drive; all electronic... Oh.. cost a small fortune back then, and still do.

aboard_epsilon
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I have an Asko (Swedish) washer and dryer from 1994. I've fixed a few things over the years but they are still going strong, and get used every day.

The washer has a 3 phase motor for variable speed and poly-vee belt drive; all electronic... Oh.. cost a small fortune back then, and still do.

Asko make the ise machines i mentioined.

all the best.markj

JoeCB
03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Just chalk this up to "they don't build em' like they used to" ... The old Sears Kenmore / Whirlpool were bullet proof. belt drive and a big heavy cast iron transmission with real oil lubrication, controls all solid electro-mechanical. These two classics; "Lady Kenmore" washer and gas dryer were new in 1964, still doing the job after a family of four including two very active boys. yes some maintainance and repairs along the way, belts, clutch plate, tub bushings and seals, dryer gas ignitor, fan bearing rebuild ... but all fixable by the home mechanic.
Joe B
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/JoeCB/Kenmore.jpg

darryl
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
'they don't build 'em like they used to'- aint that the truth. We had a Maytag dryer many years ago, and you had to listen really close to even hear it running. I was impressed. I had a Coolerator refrigerator long ago as well, and it was almost impossible to hear it running.

I just bought a Maytag dryer a few months ago. It's still working- . It's nothing like the old one though.

sasquatch
03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Years ago , ANY appliance you bought was usually good for at least 20-30 years, many longer than that. Didn't matter what it was, stove, fridge, etc.

They were a good investment !! Quality construction, good reliable motors , on and on.

Always was disgusted by the washer?? that was built back awhile ago, that had a great chunk of CONCRETE bolted onto the bottom of the frame at the back!!
GEEEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abner
03-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Wife bought a set of Electrolux w/d. Not fixable by me- loaded with electronics.

But...
The washer has a spin out cycle that is nothing short of amazing. Reaches 1200-1350 RPM fully loaded with little to no vibration. Sounds like a jet winding up. The clothes are damp/dry when removed. Saves on drying time by over 1/2. I suspect some day when the tub balancer goes haywire I will come home to find a huge hole in the side of my house.:D

vpt
03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Just chalk this up to "they don't build em' like they used to" ... The old Sears Kenmore / Whirlpool were bullet proof. belt drive and a big heavy cast iron transmission with real oil lubrication, controls all solid electro-mechanical. These two classics; "Lady Kenmore" washer and gas dryer were new in 1964, still doing the job after a family of four including two very active boys. yes some maintainance and repairs along the way, belts, clutch plate, tub bushings and seals, dryer gas ignitor, fan bearing rebuild ... but all fixable by the home mechanic.
Joe B
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/JoeCB/Kenmore.jpg

I would actually like to find some nice chrome classics similar to these. I like the looks of the classic machines plus like you mentioned the quality.

wierdscience
03-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Need to scratch Kenmore as it is no longer built by Whirlpool. They entered into a contract with LG.:(

Well crap!Another one bites the dust:(

Paul Alciatore
03-13-2012, 11:45 AM
We have a pair of Whirlpools, washer and dryer. They are at least 20 years old and still going strong. I think I had to replace one hose fitting on the washer some years ago, not due to any defect, but rather a heavy handed mover. Before that we seemed to go through washers and dryers about every 3-5 years. I hope they still make parts for them because I am very reluctant to replace them.

DICKEYBIRD
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I took the agitator off last night and couldn't find anything wrong or any pawls problem. The fact that the tub takes forever to spin down after the spin cycle indicates a worn out brake lining...I think.

I'm now mustering up my courage to try to fix it later. We found last night if we split the loads into 2 or 3 smaller loads with less water it works OK other than the slow spin cycle rundown. SWMBO preferred to fill the thing up & go with max everything.

If we can get by for a couple weeks until I get a breather from paying shopwork, I'll try to fix that problem and also replace the worn out snubber ring that controls out of balance load dampening. It's been needing that for 2 years now.:rolleyes:

Like my ex-boss used to say: "Mind the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." Definitely gotta watch the pennies around here!

gellfex
03-13-2012, 11:35 PM
NEVER EVER buy a Frigidaire or Kenmore frontloader washer, or anything else from them for that matter. The 1st generation of domestic front loaders were complete crap. They were made with bad bearing seals and cast aluminum spiders to hold the steel drum that literally turned to dust. These pricks sold a washer with a faulty design that uniformly broke after 4 years, and have stonewalled many thousands of customers by blaming them for using the wrong suds for a repair so expensive the machine is effectively totalled. Even in this internet age it's amazing they can still sell goods after this nonsense, Consumer Reports and other similar groups are failures.

Here's video with over 500 comments, there's lots of other sites on the topic.
http://www.appliancejournal.com/appli ... nt-load-washers-fail-271/

I've got LG now for 3 years, so far so good...

PS beware of Samsung, their customer service is horrendous, and there's a class action suit about their fridges having a bad design and them just stonewalling. My 5 year old fridge just needed a new mainboard for $300. Had they simply made it with a USB port it could probably just been fixed with a new firmware.

DICKEYBIRD
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Dah ta dah, dah ta dahÖ.mournful playing of Taps in the background. Well done my good & faithful Maytag.:(

I bought a new brake hub, stator & snubber ring on Thursday to bring Mr. Maytag back to life. I roared home from work that evening, pumped full of coffee & optimism, ready to fix him up. Pulled him out from the wall, jerked the belt, front cover, tub springs, hoses and then the entire tub/trans unit out and set it upside down in the shop floor for corrective surgery. Got the 200 lb. spring tensioned stator off safely but alas, when I pulled the stator off I was horrified to find it and the brake hub full of transmission grease. Called the parts dude the next day and nope, no lower transmission seal available for this model. Itís $275.00 for a new tranny so thatís it for this 12 yr. old feller.

SWMBO picked out one from the big box store yesterday and itís on the way to be installed this morning. Man. I hope this one is as good as the last one!

aboard_epsilon
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Dah ta dah, dah ta dah….mournful playing of Taps in the background. Well done my good & faithful Maytag.:(

I bought a new brake hub, stator & snubber ring on Thursday to bring Mr. Maytag back to life. I roared home from work that evening, pumped full of coffee & optimism, ready to fix him up. Pulled him out from the wall, jerked the belt, front cover, tub springs, hoses and then the entire tub/trans unit out and set it upside down in the shop floor for corrective surgery. Got the 200 lb. spring tensioned stator off safely but alas, when I pulled the stator off I was horrified to find it and the brake hub full of transmission grease. Called the parts dude the next day and nope, no lower transmission seal available for this model. It’s $275.00 for a new tranny so that’s it for this 12 yr. old feller.

SWMBO picked out one from the big box store yesterday and it’s on the way to be installed this morning. Man. I hope this one is as good as the last one!

that wouldnt have defeated me ..i would measure the seal and source it elsewhere ..plenty of seals on ebay....cars seal ..motorbike seal ..whatever...it would have gone in
all the best.marki

DICKEYBIRD
03-24-2012, 12:40 PM
There probably is a seal available for it somewhere but it's not accessible from the outside. You have to split the trans. case and remove the splined output shaft to access the seal. Not worth the trouble on this old machine and the clothes were piling up too. SWMBO not happy.:eek:

Besides, I'm done with the whole mess now and I want to spend my measley 2 days off in the workshop.:D

aboard_epsilon
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Trouble is the new washer you are buying will be scrap in less than 7 years time.

all the best.markj