PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 BP J head quill feed inquiry

Danl
03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I've discovered that the quill on my series 1 mill doesn't work. I've disassembled it as far as I can get it without a little help. I suspect the feed drive gear may be shot, since the feed worm shaft will not turn at all. I need help getting the feed trip bracket out: there is a 3/16" diameter ball keeping the feed worm shaft from pulling out. The ball catches on the handwheel clutch. Gravity will not allow the ball to fall out, and a small rare earth magnet won't pull it out either. Any of you have any suggestions? Or maybe know if I'm heading the wrong way on this? Thanks in advance..... Dan

http://webpages.charter.net/danlins/BpMill apart 1MOD.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/danlins/BpMill apart 2.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/danlins/BPparts.jpg

1-800miner
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I have the very same problem.
I can reach in there with a point and make it wiggle.
But I can't get that sucker out!

Danl
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm considering an angle head drill, drilling in from 180, thru the keyway and key, and using a punch to drive it out. I'll need to buy some new parts if I do that. hmmm.....:confused:

wierdscience
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Put some solvent in it and work the plunger back and forth while tapping on it with something metallic.It will fall out eventually.

lakeside53
03-13-2012, 01:04 AM
If you hit it with a die grinder and a thin stone, it will eventually spin out. I've got three out this way.

WCPenney
03-13-2012, 01:45 AM
My MIG welder that keeps a small charge on the wire after feeding without welding anything. It's just enough to make a tiny tack weld. Usually drives me nuts, but it's occasionally handy for stuff like that.

If you have one around, it might be worth a shot to see if you can tap the wire against the ball and get it to stick after feeding it a bit.

aboard_epsilon
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
mines stopped working a few times ..

disassembling parts between 80 -to- 97 on the above diagram and putting it back together again fixes it ..

no idea why ..but it's gone a couple of years now ..with any problems

if it happens again ..I will do the same.

all thew best.markj

Danl
03-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Lakeside, I'm intrigued by what you suggested. Are you referring to using a dremel with a small, say, " cylindrical stone on it, and extending it into the hole, grinding on the ball to reduce it's diameter? Sounds like a winner.

WCPenny, the mig trick might also work, but it seems like I'd only get one shot at getting the amperage just right. hmm....

As I contemplated this, I don't actually think I need an angle head drill: just rotate the hole till it is perpendicular to the spindle, facing toward from the head, and drill through the key and keyway to allow me to knock the ball out.

I'll try the easier sounding suggestions first.

Dan

lakeside53
03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Yes, a dremel should work. I use an even smaller grinding tip. You are not really reducing the diameter - the stone will grab the ball and move it out of the recess.

You be surprised how quick it will pop out. After hours of trying other methods I inserted the die-grinder/stone and the ball just flew out.

metalmagpie
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Is there any way you can get compressed air to blow down the axis of the hole where you screw in the knurled sleeve that lets you set the powerfeed's feed rate?

Toolguy
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I would turn the shaft to where the hole with the ball is pointing down. Then spray some brake parts cleaner into the hole. Keep your face away from this or wear a face shield to keep solvent away from your face. If the ball doesn't fall out during this operation, blow the air hose into the hole. That is what I would try first.

lakeside53
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Sometimes the ball is in so tight nothing other then a mechancial tweak will get it out. On my 3, I tried everything... and no luck, until the grinding stone trick.

1-800miner
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Turn the mill upside down and shake it really hard:rolleyes:

Danl
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Metalmagpie had the answer.... 120 psi applied to the forward/reverse knob screw hole popped the ball out with no effort at all... so quickly I almost missed it. Thanks :)

lakeside53
03-14-2012, 01:28 AM
You got very lucky, but sometimes that's all it takes! :)