• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Weston Bye
    Contributing Editor
    • Jun 2002

PSA Zero!

You guys may remember that I have been chronicling my adventures with prostate cancer. After doing battle with the excavator robot and the rubber serpent, I can say, 106 days after surgery, that it was worth while. My doctor reported that my PSA level was “undetectable”.
    I will get my PSA tested every 6 months for the foreseeable future, and there is the possibility that it could rise in later life, but for the near term, I am “cured”. Life can now go full speed ahead, except for a little potty training.

Thanks to each one of you who took time to pray for me.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~
  • George Bulliss
    Administrator
    • Jan 2008

Congratulations Wes, I’m glad to hear it.

George
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

• bborr01
      • Jul 2007

Weston,

Glad to hear that you are healing well.

Brian
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• Your Old Dog
        • Dec 2004

That's good news Wes, it don't get much better then that!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• sasquatch
          • May 2006

Great News Wes,, Darned nice to hear, and spring is almost here, perfect timing!!

Comment

• gwilson
            • Feb 2007

It took 12 years before my doctor said my prostate cancer was "history". And no PSA detected any time after the surgery. Bet you were glad to get rid of the rubber tube!

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

Good for you!

Comment

• Black Forest
                • Jan 2010

Great news! I am genuinely happy for you.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• oldtiffie
                  • Nov 1999

Originally posted by Weston Bye
                  You guys may remember that I have been chronicling my adventures with prostate cancer. After doing battle with the excavator robot and the rubber serpent, I can say, 106 days after surgery, that it was worth while. My doctor reported that my PSA level was “undetectable”.
                  I will get my PSA tested every 6 months for the foreseeable future, and there is the possibility that it could rise in later life, but for the near term, I am “cured”. Life can now go full speed ahead, except for a little potty training.

Thanks to each one of you who took time to pray for me.
                  Just as a matter of interest, was the PSA actually zero or "less then 0.01ppm" (which is the lowest the machines can test to).

If that is the case, there will or may be residual PSA remaining under the "less than 0.01ppm level".

Only time will tell.

I hope it is 100% clear now as if that is the case it should be 100% clear for all time.

Comment

• David S Newman
                    • Dec 2006

I had all the treatment 15 years ago , surgery and radiotherapy, my PSA went to zero but very gradually went up it is now 5.8, the oncologist tells me this is still not too bad for a man of my age (73) and we will watch and wait, I feel fine and he doesn't want to see me for another year. David

Comment

• justanengineer
                      • Nov 2010

Glad to hear you thoroughly kicked its butt Weston...may the future be bright and merry for you, and full of projects for us to read about.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• garyphansen
                        • Aug 2004

Glad to hear that Wes. By the way I liked the SiFi story you wrote. Gary P. Hansen
                        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                          • Apr 2009

Great news Weston!
                          Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• Bob Fisher
                            • Jan 2006

Good news Wes, glad to hear it! Bob F

Comment

• Weston Bye
                              Contributing Editor
                              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                              Just as a matter of interest, was the PSA actually zero or "less then 0.01ppm" (which is the lowest the machines can test to).

If that is the case, there will or may be residual PSA remaining under the "less than 0.01ppm level".

Only time will tell.

I hope it is 100% clear now as if that is the case it should be 100% clear for all time.
                              Tiff, David,
                              I am under no illusions. I'm well aware that some time in the future there could be a reoccurrence but today the doctor said "undetectable". I take that to mean just what Tiffie mentioned, <0.01ppm. The machine doesn't go any lower than that. I'll take it, and live a normal life, or at least have a respite for the next 6 months.
                              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                              X