PDA

View Full Version : Complaint about forum format and animated ads

J Tiers
03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Animated ads are OK....

BUT....

They have a BIG problem....... When the TOP ad is animated, whatever drop-down is above it is blanked-out..... Such as the search drop-down, which the animated Busy-Bee Tools ad completely blocks.

You have to wait for that ad (and any OTHER animated ads) to time-out and get replaced by a static advert so that the "search" drop-down will work again.

Apparently, the animation causes continuous updating of the ad, and so it is continuously being updated OVER the drop-down.

Right now, at least ONE of the ads up there is static, so there is a way to do a search. But if they are ever ALL animated, "search" will become totally useless unless users set their browsers so that ads are blocked, which defeats the purpose of having ads.

flylo
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
The only difference in the old & new is the 2 ads for the magizines. I like it & am glad there are tool ads as before & no google ads.

tyrone shewlaces
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Well I guess that means J Tiers is not having any problems and is just hallucinating then... ?
:rolleyes:

TGTool
03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I can't contravene Jerry's experience but I can run search while an animated ad is also running so there must be other factors.

lugnut
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
I don't get any ads, none, zip, nata

elf
03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
I can't contravene Jerry's experience but I can run search while an animated ad is also running so there must be other factors.

How?

All I see is the top line captioned, "Search Forums", in the Search dropdown when I'm on the main page. The entry text box is not visible.

Interestingly enough, on this 'Reply to Thread' page the Search dropdown is fully populated.

I was going to post something yesterday, but just assumed the Search function was disabled for some reason.

flylo
03-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Well I guess that means J Tiers is not having any problems and is just hallucinating then... ?
:rolleyes:

No it means just what I said. Nothing more.:rolleyes:

TGTool
03-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Clicking the Search down arrow opens a dialog box. It accepts text in the entry line and executes the search. There's a pause for the search but I can't tell if that's any longer than previously because I haven't used it enough to get a good baseline feel for it so I don't know what accounts for the different experience.

MichaelP
03-19-2012, 12:32 AM
The only difference in the old & new is the 2 ads for the magizines.
Same here, but if you try to use one of the top menu items (like "SEARCH") while the Busy Bee add is animated, you'll see what JT is talking about.

P.S. I run IE 9.0 under Win.7

browne92
03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I just experienced what J Tiers was talking about. If the very top ad is just a pic, then no problem. If the very top ad is animated, the Search drop down falls behind the ad, and you can't get to it.

I had to hit "Refresh" a couple of times to get it, but it is there.

Bill

J Tiers
03-19-2012, 12:42 AM
This is what appears..... almost teh entire drop-down is covered, and STAYS covered as long as the animated ad is running its picture scrolling. You can see just the corner of it next to the ad.

As soon as a static ad appears, the drop-down is visible, IF a static ad ever appears.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/animatedadsearch1.jpg

Willy
03-19-2012, 12:43 AM
I too am experiencing the same issue as Jerry.

As he stated, "When the TOP ad is animated, whatever drop-down is above it is blanked-out".

This includes not only the 'search' function but also the drop down menu for the 'quick links' feature.

Probably just an oversight after the implementation of the new ad software but an issue never the less.
Not a biggie but I'm glad JT mentioned it as I too noticed it earlier today.
It definitely makes you notice the ad though.:D

flylo
03-19-2012, 12:44 AM
I just tried search while Bust Bee was animating it opened instantly & I typed in it & it worked with no delay?
And tyrone this is what I meant to say, nothing more, just what my computer is doing so it may help Jerry with his problem.:rolleyes:

J Tiers
03-19-2012, 12:51 AM
I suppose I should mention it is Firefox for a browser.

Others may be using that abominable Chrome, or the like... dunno what they do.

browne92
03-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Just did some double checking. There are "animated" ads that don't cause the problem. They are in GIF format, which is a way of storing multiple images, and displaying them with a time delay between each (the Shars ad). The ones that are causing the problem are Flash animations (the Busy Bee ad).

HTH's

Bill

flylo
03-19-2012, 12:55 AM
I've watched it for about 15 minutes & everything is still there as usual. I see you don't even have a post reply button. That's strange, glad your not hallucinating that's a good thing.:D LOL! Wish I could help.

oldtiffie
03-19-2012, 12:57 AM
I am using IE8 with no real problems at all. I did have a problem with the Busy Bee advert partially blanking out the search facility but it seems OK now.

Anyway, it is just a matter of waiting for the BB advert to cycle past and then the Search function works as before.

flylo
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Just watched the whole Bust Bee ad, saw every tool & all my boxes stayed as usual. I'm on IE. Maybe I'm Hallucinating :eek: Damn-it I never thought I Hallucinate about Canadian tools or anything Canadian. I really expected it to Bee much better than this. :rolleyes:

Willy
03-19-2012, 01:04 AM
I am using IE8 with no real problems at all. I did have a problem with the Busy Bee advert partially blanking out the search facility but it seems OK now.

Anyway, it is just a matter of waiting for the BB advert to cycle past and then the Search function works as before.

That's why it's called an issue.

oldtiffie
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Just watched the whole Bust Bee ad, saw every tool & all my boxes stayed as usual. I'm on IE. Maybe I'm Hallucinating :eek: Damn-it I never thought I Hallucinate about Canadian tools or anything Canadian. I really expected it to Bee much better than this. :rolleyes:

Or are you fantasising about BB??

You might have delusions next.

DFMiller
03-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Safari on IPad works without a hitch.
I run adblocker on Firefox so I don't remember it being a problem. I will check tomorrow.
Dave

flylo
03-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Or are you fantasising about BB??

You might have delusions next.

If so I hope there better than Hallucinations. :confused:
Back to the problem. It must depend on which browser you use.

lakeside53
03-19-2012, 02:03 AM
What animated or other ads? All I've seen is two ads for the magazines... Don't fix anything - I'd like it to stay that way forever.:D

I'm IE9 and no ad blockers.

oldtiffie
03-19-2012, 02:05 AM
+ 1

If it ain't busted (well not too badly) - don't "fix" it.

I am quite comfortable with it as it is.

lakeside53
03-19-2012, 02:07 AM
I bet all the aberrations are tied to Jerry's login :rolleyes: :p :p

Willy
03-19-2012, 02:09 AM
If so I hope there better than Hallucinations. :confused:
Back to the problem. It must depend on which browser you use.

I think you've nailed it. I usually use IE 8 in which the issue does present itself.
Just tried it with Firefox and the problem is gone.
But so is the 'quick links' feature.:confused:

Arcane
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
I have the same issue as Jerry does, and I'm using Firefox version 3.5.15 (old, I know). Adblock Plus cures it though.

Black Forest
03-19-2012, 03:18 AM
I use Firefox 10.0.2 and have no problems with the search function.

Black_Moons
03-19-2012, 03:24 AM
I thought I was immune, But now I realise that flash ads in IE8 DO override the search bar and such. Gif ads do not.

Please go back to gif ads before I can activex -_-;

Also, Still think they would look better above the control panel bar. Or at least some of them above the bar.

Or maybe consider some at the top of the page, and others at the bottom.

John Stevenson
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Anything to do with Adobe is a virus.

Black_Moons
03-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Anything to do with Adobe is a virus.

Hey, thats not very nice. Most viruses are small, compact, quick to load and don't crash your browser half the time they open (Adobe PDF viewer)

George Bulliss
03-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Animated ads are OK....

BUT....

They have a BIG problem....... When the TOP ad is animated, whatever drop-down is above it is blanked-out..... Such as the search drop-down, which the animated Busy-Bee Tools ad completely blocks.

You have to wait for that ad (and any OTHER animated ads) to time-out and get replaced by a static advert so that the "search" drop-down will work again.

Apparently, the animation causes continuous updating of the ad, and so it is continuously being updated OVER the drop-down.

Right now, at least ONE of the ads up there is static, so there is a way to do a search. But if they are ever ALL animated, "search" will become totally useless unless users set their browsers so that ads are blocked, which defeats the purpose of having ads.

I'll pass this along to the guy who made the changes and we'll see if we can't fix it. I had not heard about the problem prior to the addition of the magazine ads on Friday; did anyone have problems before Friday?

George

oldtiffie
03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Nope.

J Tiers
03-19-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't know exactly when the issue appeared..... All I can tell is that it was OK on March 8th, which is the last time I used "search" prior to the 18th.

The SCROLLING ad causes problems, Specifically the "Busy Bee" Ad. The ones that simply switch pictures in one after the other are not an issue.

........I see you don't even have a post reply button. That's strange, .........

it isn't at all strange..... I snipped the relevant area out of the larger display, so that it could be actually seen without making the picture huge..... some of the actual screen area isn't visible.

aboard_epsilon
03-19-2012, 08:20 AM
is happening here as well ..using IE 9

may be something to do with the fact that i have the resultion set tio half of what it should be ...

the recomended one is 1920 by 1080 with my monitor../.problem is when set to that you have to squint to see everything ..

so i set it to 1280 by 720.

as i like to sit about 5 foot from the screen.

HAPPENS WITH THE BUSY BEE ONE ..

AS Note ...wouldnt it be more benificial to target the ads for the country the user is in .

targeted used to happen at one time ..maybe 2 years ago.

all the best.markj

JCHannum
03-19-2012, 08:32 AM
It happens to me, but seems to only be the BB ad. It is a minor problem as on the infrequent occasions that the advanced search is used, simply opening another thread in another window will probably bring up another page without the BB ad.

George Bulliss
03-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Im sure it wont take much to fix, but the guy who made the changes is offsite and I just now found out that hes on vacation until next week. We should be able to get things fixed once he returns.

George

J Tiers
03-19-2012, 08:49 AM
It happens to me, but seems to only be the BB ad. It is a minor problem as on the infrequent occasions that the advanced search is used, simply opening another thread in another window will probably bring up another page without the BB ad.

Last night, the BB advert was "up" most of the time.... it repeats over and over. Another ad was up about 1/4 of the time. I opened a few other windows until one didn't have the ad... but I noticed that NONE of them had it then.

It seems so simple to fix, that it seems stupid to demand that users use workarounds like opening multiple windows until one finally does NOT have that ad.

Frankly, if I were in Canada, I would now be annoyed and inclined to view "Busy Bee" somewhat unfavorably, and be LESS likely to buy from them.

Since I am in the US it is not relevant, I already view "BB" unfavorably.... for me it is an ad that cannot be of any direct benefit to me, even if they had just what I wanted.

aboard_epsilon
03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I would think , all you have to do is just have the animated ads appearing in the bottom ad.

all the best.markj

George Bulliss
03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I would think , all you have to do is just have the animated ads appearing in the bottom ad.

all the best.markj

I'm checking into that, but ad contracts often contain a request for placement and we may not be able to swap.

We'll get it fixed but it's going to take a few days.

George

dp
03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
There are two search features in each forum top level page. Use the other one or bookmark http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php.

DICKEYBIRD
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I noticed the same problem after the change but found that if I closed the page, re-opened it and immediately clicked search it worked normally. No biggie.:)