PDA

View Full Version : strange sounds

darryl
03-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Someone might as well put this up here, as we'll all hear about it anyway. A friend of mine heard some strange sounds coming from who knows where- a moaning, gonging kind of sound. Apparently others around the world have heard this too. I heard a very strange sound the other day myself, and I could not figure out what it was or where it came from. Sounded like a metal pipe falling over at close range, but I found nothing that would have caused it. I'm not one to freak out about things- usually I find the cause, but sometimes not. Whatever this was, it sounded like it happened right behind me. I ran outside, looking all around me as I went. Nothing seemed out of place, nothing fallen over, etc. Nobody outside, nothing moving- it was strange. I went into the workshop- nothing was laying on the floor that wasn't there already.

Anybody experienced anything like this lately?

Another friend brought up HARP, the high altitude research project up north somewhere- don't recall where- they were messing around with 10 megawatts and the ionosphere. That's not much power when you compare it to the vastness of the atmosphere, so it's hard to imagine there being an effect from that heard in four different countries.

I have a theory that when the atmosphere is highly conductive, an induced current can give rise to a physical displacement of the air. In other words, audio can be generated, even if not within the range of human hearing. The most likely cause would be something within or of the earth, since - well, since it's right here. Some abrupt changing in an external magnetic field near the earth could do that as well.

Arcane
03-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Do voices count? :D

paulsv
03-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I have heard recordings, and a scientists explanation on the radio. Here is an article.

http://dorsi.hubpages.com/hub/Strange-sounds-in-the-sky-from-around-the-world

nitsuj
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
You heard a funny noise outside your shop and we'd all hear about it anyway?
;-) My bet is its a much more simple explanation than HARP or conduction in the atmosphere. Or an apocalypse or Jesus, or whatever else. Just because you can't find a reasonable explanation for something doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

Occams razor.

1-800miner
03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
When I was a kid I had a steel frame bed with the old style steel netting and springs around the edges to support the mattress.

Hundreds of times it would broadcast the local radio station through the netting.
Didn't matter were I move it around in my bedroom.
Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.

My Mom could hear the thing downstairs.

The radio station was seven or eight miles away.

Damned if I know.

adatesman
03-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Bought a 200 year old schoolhouse 8 months ago that was used as a hospital during the Civil War, and I swear on all I hold holy I heard screaming inside late one night. Went outside and dead quiet. Back inside, screaming. Quickly left the premises.

Nowhere near as cool as my Aunt's place, where there's 300 years of documented history of a ghost that likes to move things (house has been in the family that long). Every now and then not only do the lights in what passes for an early 1700's basement turn on and off by themselves, but the laundry detergent moves across the room, far from the washer.

But more to the point, little chance of any of that having anything to do with the topic in the OP.

J Tiers
03-19-2012, 11:38 PM
When I was a kid I had a steel frame bed with the old style steel netting and springs around the edges to support the mattress.

Hundreds of times it would broadcast the local radio station through the netting.
Didn't matter were I move it around in my bedroom.
Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.

My Mom could hear the thing downstairs.

The radio station was seven or eight miles away.

Damned if I know.

That at least has a somewhat sensible explanation.....

Astronowanabe
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
there is a theory that meteors burning up in the atmosphere can be heard sometime in apparent real time even they are maybe 60 miles away and the sound could not arrive for a while.

the idea is they are burning hot enough to generate turbulent plasma which is magnetic and can propagate waves through earth's magnetic field which can vibrate ferrous materials at audio frequencies which can be heard by people standing nearby.

I do not think it has been confirmed, I have to try to remember the name of the effect when I am not quite as brain dead or someone here can google it up..

flylo
03-19-2012, 11:48 PM
What new herb are you guys smoking up there? It like in the U.P. of Michigan. Almost everyone believes in alien abductions, tracks in the snow that just stop & the person is never seen again. You guys must br shipping it across the border. LOL!:confused:
That's it! The mrtal sound was a loose part banging on the flying saucer. Good thing you moved,they were probably aiming the beam & you jumped out of the way!
Beam me up Scotty!

tyrone shewlaces
03-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I heard on the radio or TV or something that a solar flare was heading our way. Since they claim those are potentially damaging to various electrical devices, it seems possible that a huge thing like that can cause all kinds of harmonic frequency phenomenon in various objects as waves of it whoosh by.

I'd believe that way before the apocalypse, ghosts or other goofy stuff.

JoeLee
03-20-2012, 12:08 AM
I heard kind of a moaning and groaning sound the other night also. It woke me up out of a sound sleep. Come to find out it was a couple of cats having sex out side my bedroom window.

JL...........

Arcane
03-20-2012, 12:11 AM
You know, it's too bad Airsmith was banned. This is exactly the kind of thread that would elicit a most unique and entertaining explanation from him! A lot of people didn't care for him, but he always made me laugh...or shake my head...sometimes both!

hardtail
03-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Google strange sounds on youtube.......it's been recorded in more than 4 countries, all around the world......sounds vary but it can sound like harps, voices, ship fog horns and other........?

darryl
03-20-2012, 02:09 AM
I think there's an explanation for everything. In this case we may not find the answer, but then again we might. Being unexplained makes it interesting, but it also makes it psychologically challenging- more so for some than others. Then there's mass hysteria to feed on if one is so inclined. I prefer to stay calm and try to reason things out- but sometimes I would like some answers too.

The new herb- probably it's a particularly heavy dose of food additives and processing chemicals in a batch of french fries. :)

I didn't mention this earlier, but last night I heard a sort of droning sound around 2 am or so. First I thought it was a vehicle idling at the local drug dealers. But it didn't have any of the characteristic engine sounds. I started to think it was more like a chopper hovering, but that didn't really fit either. There was nothing to see, only hear. After about 5 minutes it got quieter and finally faded out. It didn't go down the street- I'm pretty used to what that sounds like- it just slowly died out. It wasn't music, it wasn't a power tool, it wasn't a train- I don't know what it was, but I do know it was unusual. I had forgotten about that til a few minutes ago.

Years ago I read about atmospheric phenomenon. There was something called the dawn chorus, which can be heard during certain conditions by feeding the signal from a wire loop into an amplifier- with a steep notch filter to take out 60 hz. This magnetic disturbance is apparently caused by lightning and certain propagation characteristics which allow the signal to travel around the world, adding echoes to the original pulse train or whatever it is. I built the circuit- I think I still have it around somewhere- and I did hear many unusual things, some of them obviously man-made, but others that were rather eerie or creepy sounding. Alien perhaps.

914Wilhelm
03-20-2012, 02:22 AM
I remember being in north central montana, especially in the winter being able to hear trains that were 30 miles away. It would oddly enough be more clear when you walked down into a depression. It was way clearer in the winter when the air was cold and crisp. Where I live now I was hearing this incessant bonging sound all one summer. Turns out the hwy dept was hammering a 12 foot culvert under 4 lanes on I-84, 10 miles away. My house sits on rock and guess I had the right resonance to hear it inside. Never heard it outside till one day I drove through the construction zoned and it all clicked.

darryl
03-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Hmm- I wonder where all the tunnel boring machines are working these days? And I wonder about fracking- I bet there's some pretty strong resonances propagating from that activity. And then there's--- the Russians. I wonder what they are up to these days :)

Rosco-P
03-20-2012, 07:18 AM
A friend of mine heard some strange sounds coming from who knows where- a moaning, gonging kind of sound. Apparently others around the world have heard this too. I heard a very strange sound the other day myself, and I could not figure out what it was or where it came from.

Ya sure these boys haven't opened a temple near you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Society_for_Krishna_Consciousness

MotorradMike
03-20-2012, 08:01 AM
That at least has a somewhat sensible explanation.....

Voice of reason.
Why did you let him get away with the fuse thing? (Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.)

J Tiers
03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Voice of reason.
Why did you let him get away with the fuse thing? (Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.)

Because it obviously didn't matter :D

And he was evidently a youngster at the time..... that would make sense as a solution to such a one.

And I don't care THAT much.

Since you bring it up, yes, obviously if no power appliance was causing the issue, the fuses would not be expected to do anything...... Although there ARE some potential ways they COULD have..... even if those ways are fairly far-fetched.

Happy now? ;)

MotorradMike
03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Because it obviously didn't matter :D

And he was evidently a youngster at the time..... that would make sense as a solution to such a one.

And I don't care THAT much.

Since you bring it up, yes, obviously if no power appliance was causing the issue, the fuses would not be expected to do anything...... Although there ARE some potential ways they COULD have..... even if those ways are fairly far-fetched.

Happy now? ;)

Yes, thankyou.

sasquatch
03-20-2012, 08:49 AM
A coincidence this topic came up.

Last night while i was in the computor room, the wife had gone to bed to read, and every so often i could faintly hear a kind of low pitched growl or growling sound.
We live in quite a forested area and i had the window open a bit, so i first thought it could be a wolf or coyote but that didn't appear to be the direction it was comming from.

Turns out it was the beans she'd had for supper!!:p :D

Black Forest
03-20-2012, 08:50 AM
you all are crazy!

Lew Hartswick
03-20-2012, 09:07 AM
you all are crazy!
They may be crazy but it's fun to listen to them. :-)
...lew...

Rustybolt
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Where I used to work around sunset there'd be this sound of an overhead industrial garage door opening. Incessant. It would go on and on for several minutes at a time. Even when no one was around and all the overhead door were closed.
It turned out to be a Gackle-a bird like a starling. Apparently they can mimic anything. Including the sound of metal on metal if that was the environment they were raised in.

rkepler
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
They may be crazy but it's fun to listen to them. :-)

I think Lew can confirm that we get some crazy sounds here in Albuquerque - the tilt-rotor Osprey makes a heck of a sound, something you feel for half a minute before they get overhead. Then there's all sorts of tests out near Sandia Labs - the rocket sled track (now sadly less used) used to make a really odd sound sort of like having reality ripped apart supersonically. The blast tubes sound wierd, even worse when they fill them with helium before the blast.

But the oddest sound I heard in my backyard was right after we moved in. It sounded kind of like a turbine winding up. But it happened on the weekends, evening, day - all sorts of times. I was wondering if someone had a garage shop I'd need to find or if it was from a distance (you can hear the diesel locomotive horns on the tracks 4 miles from my place) and I finally figured out what it was: my neighbor's bathroom vent fan.

Abner
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
When I hear strange noises I grab the biggest gun I have and go look. Never killed a weird noise maker yet, never found one to kill, which was quite disappointing.

I hear trains (real ones) sometimes and they sound very close, it takes a certain combination of weather and cloud cover as the trains I hear are indeed real and 15 miles away.

Back to unexplained noises and my big 300 ultra-mag. I did hear a noise while hunting last year, right behind me. I turned around and released my safety figuring I could quite literally kill anything and was therefor both mighty and fearless. After backtracking about 75 feet the 'noise' seemed to come out of thin air. This was new to me. I quickly decided that I really didn't need this experience and left the area, for I cannot kill what I cannot see, and somethings are better left alone. Perhaps I will find a buddy of mine was messing with me, they usually can't keep secrets.

Weston Bye
03-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Depends on what you consider a wierd noise. The clear pure note of a flute sounds out of place at a bean eating convention.

john hobdeclipe
03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
...That's it! The metal sound was a loose part banging on the flying saucer...

That's so obsolete. Modern flying saucers are made of carbon fiber.

lynnl
03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Years ago I read about atmospheric phenomenon. There was something called the dawn chorus, ...

That's what's known as the "crack of dawn." :)

The mind can generate sounds. Every now and then I'll hear a voice or sound like a ringing telephone that really isn't present, but it sounds a clear and distinct as any "real" event. Not often, maybe every two or three years, and typically during a very quiet, peaceful time, e.g. when I'm in deep concentration or just as I'm relaxing but before going to sleep. I've talked with numerous people who've experienced the same thing.

The voices are never something like a complete sentence or thought, just a brief word or two.

justanengineer
03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I kept hearing a strange noise last summer, sort of a "ting" every lil bit, which seemed to come from inside the house. Turned out after a few months of head scratching that one of the neighborhood kids was using the chimney cap for a BB gun target among others.

lynnl
03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
A few years ago I was awakened by a horrendously loud racket right outside my bedroom. Sounded like a machine gun. Jumped up and looked, but saw nothing.

A couple of days later it happened again. I looked out and saw a woodpecker, hard at work on my metal rain gutter. :D

Arcane
03-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Often when I am in the shower I will "hear" the phone ringing quietly as if muffled by the distance to the bathroom and the sound of the shower running. First couple of times it happened, as soon as I shut the water off and opened the shower doors it stopped of course. It was quite real sounding and it took a few more times before I twigged to it being a phantom sound. I've always put it down to a combination of my having a touch of tinnitus and hearing the normal sounds of the shower resulting in my brain making it up.

Years ago in 1973 a friend and I were out canoeing across Quatsino Sound at Port Alice, BC to visit some friends on the other side and when we came back we got caught in a light rain shower. It was dead calm and dead quiet too and as we slowly paddled along we could hear a light crystal clear ringing sound. We were both wasted of course so at first we figured it was just another hallucination but then we thought, why would we both be hallucinating the exact same thing? Turns out we were hearing the raindrops hitting the water, a once in a lifetime occurrence.

john hobdeclipe
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
This is real, I know, I've had it.

Just as I would drift off to sleep, I would "hear" a loud explosion. The first couple of times it was scary, then I got used to it. Eventually I just knew that as soon as the cannon fired inside my head I would go to sleep. This went on for about a year or so, when I was in my mid thirties. Eventually it stopped, and now it might happen once in two or three years.

After a few times I got to where I knew exactly where inside my head the noise came from, about 1-1/2 inches off center toward the left ear.

It was only a year or so ago that I blundered into a description of this, and realized that it isn't just me, and that it has been observed and studied and discussed by the medical community.

http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=explodingheadsyndrome

http://yoursleep.aasmnet.org/disorder.aspx?id=33

1-800miner
03-21-2012, 12:21 AM
My neighbor is about a half mile from me.
He has an empty five hundred gallon tank on a stand.

In the morning as it warms up to 72 degrees the end of the tank bows and sounds like a gong.

Cooling down at night it does it again, but I have never checked that temperature

I have listened to it for twenty years.He says he never noticed it.

Rich Carlstedt
03-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey, It's going on now in Northern Wisconsin.
What a coincidence ?
Both Sunday and Monday night's have had small explosions, and the towm is rattled.
Here is AP story
CLINTONVILLE — Sleep is interrupted again for some residents in Clintonville where a series of mysterious booms continued Monday night.

Police say they received nearly 100 phone calls throughout the night about the loud booms. Dispatcher Karen Wegenke says most residents called about 12:15 a.m., 1:20 a.m., 2:20 a.m. and a few calls about 5:10 a.m. Tuesday.

Authorities in Clintonville are at a loss to explain the noise, which some have described as a jackhammer sound. Dozens of calls also came in to dispatchers early Monday.

Local officials have checked gas lines, sewers, water pressure and consulted seismologists, but have come up empty-handed.

Tonight they have television monitors stationed around the town
Must be those michigan saucers again :)

Rich

Post article here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/mysterious-night-booms-baffle-wis-city-theories-from-earthquakes-to-pipe-problems-ruled-out/2012/03/20/gIQAOccsPS_story.html

hardtail
03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
I worked nighshift last night at the powerplant and went outside at 3:00 am, almost immediately heard a strange sound like steel pipe falling off a trailer and hitting the ground, about 4 mins later another sound similar like pipe or a combo of lake ice cracking, this time I was more attentive........the powerplant is in a major city so who knows what industrial noise could carry and it was aways off............many of the previous events seemed to happen Jan 19-22/12?

JH I had similar experiences in my 20's and 30's......after visiting a sheila my loins would explode and I'd fall asleep.........occasionally reawaken and try to chew off ones arm..........the number of beverages enjoyed seems to be directly proportional to wishing to be limbless.........

Weston Bye
03-21-2012, 04:39 AM
JH, exploding head syndrome -never heard of it until now - happens to me on occasion. I have tinnitus, so the explosions sound like the clash of cymbals. Interesting, but not disturbing.

The Artful Bodger
03-21-2012, 04:48 AM
My duties once included tending a siesmograph, I just changed the sheets on the recorder and did basic reporting of significant events.

One day I saw the stylus start to quiver and build to a major event then die away. Usually one would see a short duration primary indication followed by one or more (usually longer duration but lesser amplitude) secondary wave arrivals. This time there was no close following secondary but about 15 minutes later I saw another event like the first, and again another about 15 minutes later after that!

I discovered there was a road compacting machine operating about 1.5 miles away!

J Tiers
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
I hear rumblings all teh time.... different winter and summer.....

We have a brick house, with a fireplace/chimney... the acoustic resonance of the house is different in summer with windows open vs winter with them closed, damper open vs closed.

The house will pick up the sound of a car idling at a distance and make it sound like it is right outside, if the right combo of windows is open/shut/whatever.

Abner
03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
lynnl - +1 on the woodpecker. I have one that bangs away on my old PU box trailer. Looking it up on the net, it is related to the mating season. I guess pecking on metal trailers gets the lady woodpeckers all excited.

vpt
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey, It's going on now in Northern Wisconsin.
What a coincidence ?
Both Sunday and Monday night's have had small explosions, and the towm is rattled.
Here is AP story
CLINTONVILLE Sleep is interrupted again for some residents in Clintonville where a series of mysterious booms continued Monday night.

Police say they received nearly 100 phone calls throughout the night about the loud booms. Dispatcher Karen Wegenke says most residents called about 12:15 a.m., 1:20 a.m., 2:20 a.m. and a few calls about 5:10 a.m. Tuesday.

Authorities in Clintonville are at a loss to explain the noise, which some have described as a jackhammer sound. Dozens of calls also came in to dispatchers early Monday.

Local officials have checked gas lines, sewers, water pressure and consulted seismologists, but have come up empty-handed.

Tonight they have television monitors stationed around the town
Must be those michigan saucers again :)

Rich

Post article here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/mysterious-night-booms-baffle-wis-city-theories-from-earthquakes-to-pipe-problems-ruled-out/2012/03/20/gIQAOccsPS_story.html

I saw this posted somewhere else as well. I believe it has something to do with the instant and extreme spring thaw.

Evan
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
This is an interesting thread.

I hear trains (real ones) sometimes and they sound very close, it takes a certain combination of weather and cloud cover as the trains I hear are indeed real and 15 miles away.

That happens here too. The rails are in the next valley with a 2000' high ridge in between, a distance of about 10km. We can clearly hear the locos idling some nights and no problem at all hearing the horns.

Every now and then I'll hear a voice or sound like a ringing telephone that really isn't present, but it sounds a clear and distinct as any "real" event. Not often, maybe every two or three years, and typically during a very quiet, peaceful time, e.g. when I'm in deep concentration or just as I'm relaxing but before going to sleep. I've talked with numerous people who've experienced the same thing.

That is a well known phenomenon of the mind. It is called a "Hypnagogic hallucination". It happens to most people at some time in their life but not usually often. It is caused by falling directly into REM dream sleep which begins before you are completely asleep. Usually it only happens if your eyes are closed as the brain waves caused by having eyes open disrupts the effect.

I have narcolepsy and a singular feature of narcolepsy is falling directly into dream sleep. It happens to me every time I go to sleep and sometimes the effect can be pretty entertaining. It is incredible what my mind can come up with while I am still half awake. On one occasion I was listening to a symphony orchestra complete playing a rather nice piece I had never heard before. I sure would like to know how my mind can come up with that illusion.

For most people they usually hear a voice, no more than a word or two and quite often sounding like somebody standing right nearby. It can also happen while waking up in which case it is called a Hypnapomopic hallucination.

Exploding head is also a very real seeming hallucination phenomenon. That has also happened to me several times during my life and it is really startling. It has never been demonstrated to accompany any other illness or mental problem and there is no explanation for it.

The brain is a very complex device. What makes me laugh and shake my head sometimes is the so called science of Psychiatry. It is the only acknowledged "science" where the practitioners haven't the slightest idea of how the object of their study actually works. The entire "science" is based on belief and opinion rather than knowledge.

lynnl
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
The entire "science" is based on belief and opinion rather than knowledge.

That's true of almost all of what's erroneously called "known" medical science.

You always hear the term "last frontier" used to describe Alaska, or the wilds of Russia, or space, or the deep ocean. I came to realize, about 12-15 years ago, that the human mind is what will truly be the last frontier.

Evan
03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I was discussing this with my doctor once and he is of the same opinion as I am. I found that interesting because it isn't an opinion I have heard often. I (and he) think that the human brain is not able to comprehend itself. It would require an intelligence an order of complexity higher to be capable of unravelling how our minds work.

wierdscience
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
That's it! The mrtal sound was a loose part banging on the flying saucer. Good thing you moved,they were probably aiming the beam & you jumped out of the way!
Beam me up Scotty!

Oh,come now,that's a tall tale,you mean to tell me the Aliens have mastered intergalactic travel,but not Duct Tape?:D

rgbai
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
news story with explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiTE43-Izi0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081FuoN8K40&feature=player_embedded

Rosco-P
03-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Maybe the strange sounds are similar to this: http://www.qsl.net/w5www/taoshum.html

lynnl
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I was discussing this with my doctor once and he is of the same opinion as I am. I found that interesting because it isn't an opinion I have heard often. I (and he) think that the human brain is not able to comprehend itself. It would require an intelligence an order of complexity higher to be capable of unravelling how our minds work.

Well I agree as far as totally comprehending itself. But we can develop models to describe some workings of the mind.

Most of the other things mankind "knows" (other than mathmatics, which we invented, and history and languages) are really nothing more than models. We develop a model to describe what we observe, then when some observation doesn't fit, we revise or replace that model.

The problem with understanding the mind is that most of it is unconscious to us, and the conscious portion brings in too much bias. As DocSteve used to say, "we know too much stuff that really isn't so."

I personally believe our model that places all of our "mind" up above the neck and between the ears is grossly wrong. A book I highly recommend is "Molecules of Emotion", by Candace Pert. As a brilliant post-doctoral researcher at Johns Hopkins back in the '70s (I think), she discovered the "opiate receptor" which the bio-chem research world had been chasing for a long time.

The Artful Bodger
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
We had a freight train pass by the farm at 2 am every morning but they were never so 'loud' as on the days they were delayed and everyone was awake waiting for them!:p

dkaustin
03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I won't be surprised if the Clintonville noises turn out to be someone releasing balloons filled with oxy/acetylene on a slow fuse. Not that anyone here would ever do such a thing . . .