X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darryl
    • Jan 2003

strange sounds

Someone might as well put this up here, as we'll all hear about it anyway. A friend of mine heard some strange sounds coming from who knows where- a moaning, gonging kind of sound. Apparently others around the world have heard this too. I heard a very strange sound the other day myself, and I could not figure out what it was or where it came from. Sounded like a metal pipe falling over at close range, but I found nothing that would have caused it. I'm not one to freak out about things- usually I find the cause, but sometimes not. Whatever this was, it sounded like it happened right behind me. I ran outside, looking all around me as I went. Nothing seemed out of place, nothing fallen over, etc. Nobody outside, nothing moving- it was strange. I went into the workshop- nothing was laying on the floor that wasn't there already.

Anybody experienced anything like this lately?

Another friend brought up HARP, the high altitude research project up north somewhere- don't recall where- they were messing around with 10 megawatts and the ionosphere. That's not much power when you compare it to the vastness of the atmosphere, so it's hard to imagine there being an effect from that heard in four different countries.

I have a theory that when the atmosphere is highly conductive, an induced current can give rise to a physical displacement of the air. In other words, audio can be generated, even if not within the range of human hearing. The most likely cause would be something within or of the earth, since - well, since it's right here. Some abrupt changing in an external magnetic field near the earth could do that as well.
    Last edited by darryl; 03-19-2012, 10:58 PM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-
  • Arcane
    • Oct 2002

Do voices count?

Comment

• paulsv
      • Mar 2010

I have heard recordings, and a scientists explanation on the radio. Here is an article.

Comment

• nitsuj
        • Nov 2007

You heard a funny noise outside your shop and we'd all hear about it anyway?
        ;-) My bet is its a much more simple explanation than HARP or conduction in the atmosphere. Or an apocalypse or Jesus, or whatever else. Just because you can't find a reasonable explanation for something doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

Occams razor.

Comment

• 1-800miner
          • May 2010

When I was a kid I had a steel frame bed with the old style steel netting and springs around the edges to support the mattress.

Hundreds of times it would broadcast the local radio station through the netting.
          Didn't matter were I move it around in my bedroom.
          Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.

My Mom could hear the thing downstairs.

The radio station was seven or eight miles away.

Damned if I know.

Comment

• adatesman
            • Jun 2010

Bought a 200 year old schoolhouse 8 months ago that was used as a hospital during the Civil War, and I swear on all I hold holy I heard screaming inside late one night. Went outside and dead quiet. Back inside, screaming. Quickly left the premises.

Nowhere near as cool as my Aunt's place, where there's 300 years of documented history of a ghost that likes to move things (house has been in the family that long). Every now and then not only do the lights in what passes for an early 1700's basement turn on and off by themselves, but the laundry detergent moves across the room, far from the washer.

But more to the point, little chance of any of that having anything to do with the topic in the OP.

Comment

• J Tiers
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 1-800miner
              When I was a kid I had a steel frame bed with the old style steel netting and springs around the edges to support the mattress.

Hundreds of times it would broadcast the local radio station through the netting.
              Didn't matter were I move it around in my bedroom.
              Didn't matter that I unscrewed all the fuses in the house.

My Mom could hear the thing downstairs.

The radio station was seven or eight miles away.

Damned if I know.
              That at least has a somewhat sensible explanation.....
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Astronowanabe
                • Jan 2008

there is a theory that meteors burning up in the atmosphere can be heard sometime in apparent real time even they are maybe 60 miles away and the sound could not arrive for a while.

the idea is they are burning hot enough to generate turbulent plasma which is magnetic and can propagate waves through earth's magnetic field which can vibrate ferrous materials at audio frequencies which can be heard by people standing nearby.

I do not think it has been confirmed, I have to try to remember the name of the effect when I am not quite as brain dead or someone here can google it up..
                --
                Tom C
                ... nice weather eh?

Comment

• flylo
                  • Apr 2011

What new herb are you guys smoking up there? It like in the U.P. of Michigan. Almost everyone believes in alien abductions, tracks in the snow that just stop & the person is never seen again. You guys must br shipping it across the border. LOL!
                  That's it! The mrtal sound was a loose part banging on the flying saucer. Good thing you moved,they were probably aiming the beam & you jumped out of the way!
                  Beam me up Scotty!
                  Last edited by flylo; 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• tyrone shewlaces
                    • Dec 2006

I heard on the radio or TV or something that a solar flare was heading our way. Since they claim those are potentially damaging to various electrical devices, it seems possible that a huge thing like that can cause all kinds of harmonic frequency phenomenon in various objects as waves of it whoosh by.

I'd believe that way before the apocalypse, ghosts or other goofy stuff.

Comment

• JoeLee
                      • Aug 2009

I heard kind of a moaning and groaning sound the other night also. It woke me up out of a sound sleep. Come to find out it was a couple of cats having sex out side my bedroom window.

JL...........

Comment

• Arcane
                        • Oct 2002

You know, it's too bad Airsmith was banned. This is exactly the kind of thread that would elicit a most unique and entertaining explanation from him! A lot of people didn't care for him, but he always made me laugh...or shake my head...sometimes both!

Comment

• hardtail
                          • Jun 2005

Google strange sounds on youtube.......it's been recorded in more than 4 countries, all around the world......sounds vary but it can sound like harps, voices, ship fog horns and other........?
                          Last edited by hardtail; 03-20-2012, 02:41 AM.
                          Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

• darryl
                            • Jan 2003

I think there's an explanation for everything. In this case we may not find the answer, but then again we might. Being unexplained makes it interesting, but it also makes it psychologically challenging- more so for some than others. Then there's mass hysteria to feed on if one is so inclined. I prefer to stay calm and try to reason things out- but sometimes I would like some answers too.

The new herb- probably it's a particularly heavy dose of food additives and processing chemicals in a batch of french fries.

I didn't mention this earlier, but last night I heard a sort of droning sound around 2 am or so. First I thought it was a vehicle idling at the local drug dealers. But it didn't have any of the characteristic engine sounds. I started to think it was more like a chopper hovering, but that didn't really fit either. There was nothing to see, only hear. After about 5 minutes it got quieter and finally faded out. It didn't go down the street- I'm pretty used to what that sounds like- it just slowly died out. It wasn't music, it wasn't a power tool, it wasn't a train- I don't know what it was, but I do know it was unusual. I had forgotten about that til a few minutes ago.

Years ago I read about atmospheric phenomenon. There was something called the dawn chorus, which can be heard during certain conditions by feeding the signal from a wire loop into an amplifier- with a steep notch filter to take out 60 hz. This magnetic disturbance is apparently caused by lightning and certain propagation characteristics which allow the signal to travel around the world, adding echoes to the original pulse train or whatever it is. I built the circuit- I think I still have it around somewhere- and I did hear many unusual things, some of them obviously man-made, but others that were rather eerie or creepy sounding. Alien perhaps.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• 914Wilhelm
                              • Nov 2009

I remember being in north central montana, especially in the winter being able to hear trains that were 30 miles away. It would oddly enough be more clear when you walked down into a depression. It was way clearer in the winter when the air was cold and crisp. Where I live now I was hearing this incessant bonging sound all one summer. Turns out the hwy dept was hammering a 12 foot culvert under 4 lanes on I-84, 10 miles away. My house sits on rock and guess I had the right resonance to hear it inside. Never heard it outside till one day I drove through the construction zoned and it all clicked.

Comment

Working...
                              X