PDA

View Full Version : Ad says J-head but looks like an M?

lowcountrycamo
03-20-2012, 12:30 AM
The owner of this BP claims it is an old J head without power downfeed and a
B&S taper. Looks like and M to me. Is he confused or could this be a J.

http://www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/b2.jpg

duckman
03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes its an "M" head see the quill sticking up, thats the tip off.

lowcountrycamo
03-20-2012, 06:37 AM
I am going to use for home shop. Price is 1000. I have to drive 3 hours as I live in a machine tool desert. His price happens to be my limit. Should I pass and hold out for a "J". Or will this do all that is needed in the home shop. It is 1 phase, but knobs where removed for past cnc. He sold cnc off long ago. Owner claims all is "tight with new brass". I guess he is talking about gibs. He was a boat mechanic so I will give him the benefit that he was told his machine is a "j" head. However, at a 3 hour drive each way, I don't have the luxury of looking over and thinking about it. Thanks for you time.

duckman
03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
The bad thing with an M head is your limited to a max of 1/2" due to the size of the collets.

JCHannum
03-20-2012, 07:47 AM
That is a rusty round ram B'port with an M head. Collets could be MT, B&S or B3, but will be limited to 1/2" maximum size.

There is nothing basically wrong with the round ram or the M head, but the machine looks pretty rough for $1000, especially if it is missing parts. I would seriously question that it had ever been CNC'd, or run within the past ten years. If he were to drop the price to $200 or $300, it might make a good fixer up project.

Doozer
03-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Forget about usign a boring head in an M-head. Chatter city.

--Doozer

Toolguy
03-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I would pass on that one. It has too many unanswered questions, the price is too high, something smells fishy (boat mechanic?) You can do a lot better.

flylo
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
That's an early M head, see the split in the top & the lever that opens it to rotate the head? The M head has only 31/2" stroke as the J is 5".I bought a super tight one for $50 that came factory sng phase 110V. It had been used as a drill press all it's life. I don't think it's worth over $500 Tops in good shape. I'd keep looking for a newer machine. Just my opinion.

Weston Bye
03-20-2012, 11:30 AM
...I live in a machine tool desert. His price happens to be my limit.

In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man would be King.

That said, push for a lower price for reasons already mentioned.

A trip farther afield may get you more machine for a better price. You only have to move it once, but after that you will suffer any of its shortcomings daily.

lakeside53
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd pass.... if you want to buy a milling machine from the 30's or 40s, there are better choices.

OK, budget is an issue, but the cheapest machine may end up being the most expensive... Don't ask how I know this.:mad:

lowcountrycamo
03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the advise. You all have been a huge help. I agree with all that was said. I will pass on this one and wait for a better machine. In the mean time I can save a bit more cash.

Weston Bye
03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Keep that cash hidden from anything that might "invent" a need for it. Wife, car, major appliance, roof, etc...

Keep looking and spend it before it evaporates.