PDA

View Full Version : Source for durable/hi-flex stepper motor wire?

DICKEYBIRD
03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Looking around for bits & bobs for the ORAC lathe conversion and need a bit of shielded, 4 conductor wire, maybe 18g but high strand count, flexible good stuff for the X axis motor. I found lots of stuff on eBay and the prices look good but it doesn't look particularly flexible.

Anybody have links or suggestions where to go and also for a short length of some kind of small Igus-like cable track?

DFMiller
03-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Milton,
Try contacting Igus directly. They were very accommodating and very helpful. I was able to get short pieces from them no problem. I purchased my VFD to spindle cable from them. I think I got 5m which was just what I needed. If I recall eBay has short pieces of cable chain but then again Igus can hook you up.
Dave

Evan
03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Electric blanket cord is the most flexible and durable wire you will find. Check the dump.

MaxHeadRoom
03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
If your looking for very flexible you probably want 19 strands instead of the more common 7 stranded conductor.
Look in the Belden or Alpha site, also check with a local Cable & Wire distributor in your area, sometimes they will sell short lengths.
Max.

PaulT
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Go to mcmaster.com . They offer wire specifically for use with CNC machines, ie flexible, shielded and oil resistant. And they also sell it by the foot.

They also have a lot of other useful items for CNC machines, ie flexible couplers, bearings, almost anything mechanical you can come up with and almost everything they offer is available in small qualities.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

DICKEYBIRD
03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Ahhh, the voices of experience! Thanks gentlemen.:)

J. R. Williams
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Try 'test lead wire'.

darryl
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't recall what it's called at the moment, but NPN rings a bell- I use rubber covered wire for test leads, and anywhere a flexible wire is needed. You might still see this stuff on toasters, coffee pots, irons, crock pots, etc. If you needed more than two conductors, you could lay a pair of pairs side by side and impregnate it with goop or plasti-dip tool handle coating. It's been awhile, but I think you could get it in 18 ga or 16 ga, maybe even in 14 ga.

As Evan suggested, electric blanket wire is a reasonable choice. The stuff I have scrounged from some where I used to work is three conductor, and looks to be 18 or 20 ga. It's flat, with the conductors side by side, though not what I'd call really flexible- it is plastic and not rubber.

Evan
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
It isn't really necessary to use super flexible wire. I worked on machines with the exact same type of flexible harnesses for decades. The main thing is to maintain a nice even radius of bend with no kinking at the terminations at either end. Use something to ensure the bending doesn't take place at the ends. I use a length of screen door spring to enclose the cable which protects it and makes it bend evenly. It also shields it. I inserted a couple of inches or so of brass tube at each end to make sure the cable could not kink. I also covered the cable with shrink tube that extended a bit beyond the brass tube.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/xcable.jpg

DICKEYBIRD
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I use a length of screen door spring to enclose the cable which protects it and makes it bend evenly. It also shields it.Thanks a bunch Evan, my kinda solution. Simple, cheap and effective! (Now where did I put that screen door spring I saved 22 yrs ago when I moved into this house and replaced the screen door)

ps: Haven't seen you as much on the board lately. I hope everythin's going well for you.:)

Evan
03-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I have been extremely busy since late last year working on a legal appeal to convince the Pension Appeals Board of the federal government to grant me a disability pension. I am as of yesterday finished with this step and the ball is in their court. My submission is over 200 written pages of legal and medical arguments with over 50 referenced studies and court decisions. Including the full studies and related case law the entire package will top out over 500 pages.

This is just the part that I have written.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/appeal.jpg

There is a long and bizarre story behind this but I can't tell any of it until it is all said and done. That could be over a year from now. This part had to be done precisely correctly down to the size of the type and the number of lines per page. It goes before 3, 5 or even possibly 7 federal and/or appeals court judges. It's only two steps away from the Supreme Court of Canada.

DICKEYBIRD
03-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Yep, that definitely looks like something that would keep a feller busy for a while!:eek:

Evan
03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
What I can say is that if I win my case it will change disability law in Canada. I found a loophole that nobody has tried before. That's why it is getting kicked up the food chain.

amateur
03-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Thought lawyers hate it when lay people find loopholes :)

Evan
03-24-2012, 06:29 PM
They probably do. This loophole looks pretty iron clad too. I'm not a lawyer but law is a hobby of mine for decades. I actually like reading lengthy court decisions, especially the Supreme Court. Their logic is impeccable at that level. Interpreting law is all about logic which is why I like it. When I joined the Army one of the things they give you right at first is a copy of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Near as I could tell I was the only person that actually read it front to back.