PDA

View Full Version : what to do with swarf??

elginrunner
03-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm a newbie, and it has just occured to me that my 16 gal shop vac is about full..... I've had a lathe for about a month now, with no end in sight with the projects!! Should a fellow throw it out with the trash? Is it worth taking to the recycling center? It's a mix of 416 stainless, and 1018 cold rolled if that makes a difference.....

Ian B
03-24-2012, 08:04 AM
The usual thing to do with swarf is to walk on it, get it on your boots, and then walk through the house. Carpets are ideal for getting the swarf off your boots, and work especially well with long, stringy razor sharp stainless.

This reminds our wives that we have a constructive hobby, and they really appreciate us for this. They generally accept the minor inconvenience of shredding their bare feet on the embedded swarf with good grace.

Ian

Black Forest
03-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I take mine to the recycling place so I don't have to pay to get rid of it at the dump.

toolmaker76
03-24-2012, 08:25 AM
+1 on Ian B's comment- my wife has gained a new appreciation for what I do, as well as my skill at removing metal splinters from feet!

I would suppose it would depend on the amount generated, small amounts can go in the trash. I have two 55 gallon drums that are just about full.

I take them to the recyclers along with my aluminum cans. Different places have different policies, the place I took mine were adamant that the shavings not be oil/ coolant soaked, which they are not. Other places would probably take them with oil, but I would imagine the price would be less.

I think I got about $6 for my last barrel of shavings- hardly worth the trouble unless you are taking other stuff at the same time.

Incidentally, I have long been in the habit of taking off my shoes when I enter the house, but what happens is there is always a couple of shavings that got down my shirt or the front of my overalls that find their way to the carpet.

1-800miner
03-24-2012, 08:27 AM
I stack it around the shop door,sort of like a razor wire fence.
Keeps wife,kids,and neighbors out of the shop.:D

sasquatch
03-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Put it out at the curbside, in a nicely wrapped up box, and by the next morning it will be gone!

RussZHC
03-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I consider myself pretty "green" as far as the environment...

I think I got about $6 for my last barrel of shavings- hardly worth the trouble unless you are taking other stuff at the same time

to me it makes no sense to spend the time or gas so rather than let it accumulate I make sure each time the session's amount just goes in the regular trash

JoeLee
03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I try to keep my alum. and steel swarf seperate usually by cleaning the machine or chip pan and cut off saw after use. I have a pal for steel, alum. brass, ss and copper scrap. A recent trip to the local scrap yard brought me $12 for a 6 gal. pal full of steel scrap and swarf.

JL.........................

strokersix
03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Clean aluminum I put in the curbside recycle. Everything else goes in the trash.

elginrunner
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I live just outside the city limits of a small town in Arkansas... we don't have curb side service for recyclable materials. It's pretty sad a fellow rides on the back of the truck and grabs the big trash can (that most companies use an hydraulic arm to lift) and empties it by hand. I'd hate to think his arm is going to be pulled out of socket when he grabs a trash can that has always been light.... :o

loose nut
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM
If it is the long curly kind, you can weave it into chain mail and sell it on Ebay.

rmuell01
03-24-2012, 10:09 AM
The usual thing to do with swarf is to walk on it, get it on your boots, and then walk through the house.

Ian
As we all know, the Netherlands have dirt floors in their houses, so this is an excellent way to hide their swarf! :cool:

vpt
03-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I get a junk vehicle and park it out back of the shop. All my scrap goes in the vehicle, when its full I take it in for scrap. Get another, repeat.

loose nut
03-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Put in an open box, by the side of the road, someone will take it to the scrap yard for you.

Clevelander
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
About tracking stuff out of the basement. A keeper from the end of a 3/16" rod got stuck in my shoe and came up stairs with me. Our 4 pound Yorkie ate it (little trash can on heels) $900.00 later and a sugery and she's O.K. I just bought a pair of shoes that will stop at the shop door. It's a PITA but it's worth it. As for the shirt...good point too, a work apron that also stays in the shop.

As for the swarf....unless you want to keep it all separate and build a back yard cupola...it hits the road with the trash.:(

aboard_epsilon
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
this guys selling it on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3oz-Raw-Steel-Metal-Iron-Shavings-Filings-Scrap-Dust-Resource-Science-Experiment-/380403601855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891d251bf

all the best...markj

RussZHC
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM
re: Mark's link...they've sold 6 already at a bit less than $7 for a 3oz package...anyone else do the math on what that works out to a ton:D

nctox
03-24-2012, 05:33 PM
this guys selling it on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3oz-Raw-Steel-Metal-Iron-Shavings-Filings-Scrap-Dust-Resource-Science-Experiment-/380403601855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891d251bf

all the best...markj

The shavings are obviously not from a belt grinder as he says, but the real question is,,"Why would anyone want to buy it?" I guess I'm not familiar with the science experiments or projects the ad was alluding to.:confused:

Dr Stan
03-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Cut a hole in the bottom of your pants pockets and fill with them with the swarf. Go to your least favorite establishment, home, or where ever and sprinkle liberally on the carpet. :rolleyes:

KiddZimaHater
03-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I recycle Aluminum, Brass, Copper, and Bronze.
But Steel chips go right into the dumpster.
Whenever I fill up my 30 gallon trashcan, I make a midnight run.:D

Buzzer John
03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I dump the steel chips down the groundhog holes. It discourages those critters and eventually rusts away.
John

elginrunner
03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I dump the steel chips down the groundhog holes. It discourages those critters and eventually rusts away.
John

Now that is being inventive.... we have lots of moles around here

Lew Hartswick
03-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Now that is being inventive.... we have lots of moles around here
And the iron is good for the grass, it makes it greener. :-)
...lew...

flylo
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
re: Mark's link...they've sold 6 already at a bit less than $7 for a 3oz package...anyone else do the math on what that works out to a ton:D

I've found a new income stream. Swarf I can make, much easier than finished parts, some people will buy anything. Instead of pet rocks we can sell pet swarf.

flylo
03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Better yet swarf jewlery ebay # 140186401048, $80+. It's like when ChungKing started by getting the throw away veggie trimming & making a market. SwarfCity.com I do love to see alum peeling off the lathe in long swirls. It's my kind of art. Wonder if there's a world record for the longest pc of swarf.

Evan
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. It's starting to pile up...

http://ixian.ca/pics9/chips.jpg

Bluedog
03-24-2012, 11:54 PM
The shavings are obviously not from a belt grinder as he says, but the real question is,,"Why would anyone want to buy it?" I guess I'm not familiar with the science experiments or projects the ad was alluding to.:confused:

Only thing I can think of is for pyrotechnics. If you are building black powder fountains, mixing in some swarf from turning brake rotors adds nice sparks, and the swarf needs to be oil free and clean. Still no need to buy at $7 for 3 oz., just go down to Brako and they'll give you a bucket full. Just guessing.

Black_Moons
03-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Better yet swarf jewlery ebay # 140186401048, $80+. It's like when ChungKing started by getting the throw away veggie trimming & making a market. SwarfCity.com I do love to see alum peeling off the lathe in long swirls. It's my kind of art. Wonder if there's a world record for the longest pc of swarf.

I hang 7' long coily ones from the ceiling as burglar traps. I have seen them jump 2' to attack passers by! They 'stick' to cloths too. Very funny watching them catch people.

The Artful Bodger
03-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Only thing I can think of is for pyrotechnics..

Exactly! Both aluminium and iron can be used in rocket fuel, just add suitable oxidisers!

elginrunner
03-25-2012, 02:28 AM
That's a funny pic Evan :D I'm not there yet, but I'm just getting started!!

darryl
03-25-2012, 03:29 AM
You could try eating it- I just did. Was eating a piece of toblerone, and what looked like a chunk of it was on my shirt. Not wanting to waste any of it, I picked it off and tossed it in my pie hole. Damn that was crunchy!

vpt
03-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Exactly! Both aluminium and iron can be used in rocket fuel, just add suitable oxidisers!

Copper is used in some firework concoctions for color as well.

loose nut
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Spread it all over your lawn. It will confuse the Fed's metal detectors when they finally come looking for your hidden underground stash.

wb2vsj
03-26-2012, 09:00 PM
We used to have literally tons of SS long, curly swarf. Some ended up as SS scouring pads for my mom. Best damn Brillo pads you ever saw! We also used them for scraping paint off the house.

Lots got buried right outside the shop. :rolleyes: It's probably still there.

jkilroy
03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
"Spread it all over your lawn. It will confuse the Fed's..."

Damn if that isn't funny, nearly shot an oreo out my nose!

MichaelP
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
You could try eating it- I just did. Was eating a piece of toblerone, and what looked like a chunk of it was on my shirt. Not wanting to waste any of it, I picked it off and tossed it in my pie hole. Damn that was crunchy!
...and no more hemorrhoids.;)

Paul Alciatore
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. It's starting to pile up...

http://ixian.ca/pics9/chips.jpg

Evan, I didn't know you had a model RR layout. Boy, you find time for everything. What scale? Looks like HO. How about a picture of the whole layout?

dian
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
darryl, thanks for eating toblerone and supporting our economy. however i thought it was strictly forbidden to export it, so i hope you dont end up in jail.

The Artful Bodger
03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Save up your swarf, aluminium swarf reacts well with a caustic soda solution to release hydrogen. If you dont have aluminium swarf use steel and hydrochloric acid.

We used the aluminium and caustic soda system on some Pacific islands where we operated wind finding radars. I believe they used the same system in Iraq (but dont tell anyone :D ).

Evan
03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Paul,

I wish I did have time for everything. I have lots of pieces for a layout but have never gotten around to building it. That's N scale. Anybody want to buy a 100 feet of Peco nickle silver ultra flex track? I have made many parts in N scale.

I made about a dozen of these signals. all functional via fibre optics. I also have turnouts made from scratch from loose rail.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/signals.jpg

Maybe one of these days I will get around to building the coffee table N scale layout that I have been putting off for decades. I have all sorts of little N scale tricks that I have tested which work really well. One is to mechanize all kinds of things with tiny puffs of compressed air through a hidden hypodermic needle. Of course, fibre optics makes it possible to illuminate nearly anything including an N scale theatre marquee. I figured out all kinds of ways to make lenses and special effects with plastic fibre optic strands.

A long time friend of mine and I used to get together and build items for his layout and the one I was going to build. I helped him illuminate his N scale GP40 locos with authentic head and running/marker lights. Sadly, he is on his very last legs having had several strokes recently. Damned time just doesn't let up. He was the finest cabinet maker I have ever met, much better than most.